Pod Your Reef

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

That stand looks so nice! This is going to be a really high end setup!!! omgomgomg

I was at Petco yesterday and they were having the $1/gallon sale. I was shocked at the savings on a 40b! It's like an $70 or $80 discount! No wonder people go crazy for that sale :).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That stand looks so nice! This is going to be a really high end setup!!! omgomgomg

I was at Petco yesterday and they were having the $1/gallon sale. I was shocked at the savings on a 40b! It's like an $70 or $80 discount! No wonder people go crazy for that sale :).

I'm gonna call each Petco from work tomorrow. Maybe they can tell me when it is. it's just the 20long I need. Regularly that tank is 39.99. You certainly see the most savings on the 40 though like you said though.

I can't wait to see the tank on the stand. I was thinking the 60 shallow but since it's just me, I didn't want to be overwhelmed with water changes on 3 tanks upstairs and one in the basement. I think I'll really like the 45. I love the dimensions. At least the clock is by rock flower time. Time to spawn, time to wait, feed, hope. I won't be able to fill it up as fast as I want.

Tonight I'm researching ATOs. Some I've been told about a couple mos back were Autotopoff.com, Tunze, Avast ATO, and AutoAqua. I have to buy one for my 34 and this 45. I'll take input on these. They seem to vary a great deal in price- 51 to 150. That's a lot of in between.

Oh, Gertie or Geneva are making some noise. Time to go hand feed.

Oh wow I've been looking into doing some ATO action for my tank. Those solenoids on autotopoff.com are looking really attractive to my budget

Oh wow I've been looking into doing some ATO action for my tank. Those solenoids on autotopoff.com are looking really attractive to my budget

Lawnman suggested that site to me. He said his hadn't failed in the 2 yrs he had it. Then he went to the Tunze, so he knows both.

The Avast Marine Works looks really good too. I like what they say about pressure sensing not motion sensing.

I feel so scared about the float switch ones though. I feel like i've read som many horror stories about them malfunctioning and causing floods

I feel so scared about the float switch ones though. I feel like i've read som many horror stories about them malfunctioning and causing floods

I'm confused. I don't want to pay 150 but the AutoAqua sounds good too. Of course every one I read gets great reviews. Aargh.

This is all in one, everything comes with it and the only issue was if there was a outage, you have to reset it but that's easy just by pushing the thing up on the glass. I know I don't want anything complicated and it sits on the outside of the glass which is cool.

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/12/10/smart-ato-review-perfect-couple-quirks/

If the float valves require a backup, why not just circumvent that by using something that doesn't require a backup?

A float sensor with a backup timer is a good ATO design like the nano Tunzes.

Which Tunze for this tank which would be 45 w/ the 20 sump?

There are other neat ATOs that don't use moving parts.

Hydor smart level controller (I think this uses temperature differentials):

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hydor_Smart_Level_Control_ATO_System_Electric_Powered_Dosing_Pumps_Top_Off_Plug_In_Units-Hydor_USA-HD01043-FIDPETPU-vi.html

Inovvative Marine Aqua Gadget Hydrofill (Uses conductivity and has a backup sensor but it's pricey)

http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovative_Marine_AUQA_Gadget_HydroFill_ATO_Controller_System_Electric_Powered_Dosing_Pumps_Top_Off_Plug_In_Units-Innovative_Marine-0I10426-FIDPETPU-vi.html

Avast marine has an interesting option but I keep getting lost in all the types to know which one is the one I'd use:

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/avast-marine-top-off-kit

Also Spectrapures power liquid level controller

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1439/

I suggest shopping around I know some of these sites *coughbrscough* aren't the cheapest vendors for the items linked.

The Avast Marine though at 89.99 you still have to buy the pump at 49.99-99.99 so now I'm getting to like the option for 149.99 for the Smart ATO and it won't take up room in a sump, I only have a 20g long to work with and that's only where my rock is because it can't be in the main breeding display and that won't be much room after the skimmer and return pump behind the baffle go in. So, I believe I'm saying adios to Avast Marine because it sits in the tank.

Innovative is out because I can't see paying $190 for something that only got 3.5/5 stars.

Eh a tiny piece of tubing. no more than a tunze osmoscilator.

Still the smart ato has it's own tiny footprint to consider. but it's tiny. The Hydor offering has a minimum run time as well. Though imo an aqualifter is the ideal top off pump for any of them that need one.

Eh a tiny piece of tubing. no more than a tunze osmoscilator.

Still the smart ato has it's own tiny footprint to consider. but it's tiny. The Hydor offering has a minimum run time as well. Though imo an aqualifter is the ideal top off pump for any of them that need one.

Yeah, I was just reading that Hydor odd timing thing and depending on how good your pump is???

The Tunze osmos though is too expensive and I'd have to have 2. $412, but go w/ Smart ATO and save 112 for 2. I think Smart ATO is winning so far for me.

It's not really dependant on the pump so much as theree's a 25 second minimum run time or near that meaning it is unsuitable for for areas of water that can be filled in less time. mostly because it will cause the alarm to go off and it's annoying sounding.

I almost bought a smart ato for my evolve 8 then I realized it wouldn't work :P

What I've read some people do it just hook up a pump to a timer that'll just pump/dose with water throughout the day

I just spoke w/ someone that's had their Tunze now for 6 yrs running. I think there's my answer. That's longevity and reliability right there.

Yeah there isn't much that can match tunze for longevity. mostly because most atos havent been around that long XD

I'm gonna call each Petco from work tomorrow. Maybe they can tell me when it is. it's just the 20long I need. Regularly that tank is 39.99. You certainly see the most savings on the 40 though like you said though.

I can't wait to see the tank on the stand. I was thinking the 60 shallow but since it's just me, I didn't want to be overwhelmed with water changes on 3 tanks upstairs and one in the basement. I think I'll really like the 45. I love the dimensions. At least the clock is by rock flower time. Time to spawn, time to wait, feed, hope. I won't be able to fill it up as fast as I want.

Bought my 20l for my sump during lunch!!!. Additionally also finally picked up a 10 for the QT I hope I never have to use for sick fish.

15 x 18 then it is. I think that's plenty big. I'll have fun finding out which nems are the women and which were the men.

You like Nascar by any chance? Don got me hooked on Nascar and I'd like to make it to the Charlotte track sometime. On my bucket list is to do the Ride-A-Long Petty Driving Experience and let them take me around like 10 times. I want to feel that speed safely and not me driving and be too wimpy to go faster because my mind would get in the way.

Thrown down the few extra $$$ and do the driving experience. I did it in Vegas and it gives you a whole new perspective on what those guys and gal do on a weekly basis.

Thrown down the few extra $$$ and do the driving experience. I did it in Vegas and it gives you a whole new perspective on what those guys and gal do on a weekly basis.

I just know my mind will get in the way. Even mountain biking, I tried but I'd get scared of anything steeper than a handicapped ramp, next thing you know I've fallen off the bike and/or walking it down. Maybe I need to pay for the ride-a-long first and then do the other. I'd like to do it with some Nascar friends but....I don't have any Nascar buddies. :wacko:

Have to post a pic of the baby. Maybe I'll be able to get her over into this tank. She's 4 mm. Another 4 and I might be able to start seeing her true colors. I like the fact that I can see a unique design already!!

053_zpsd9466485.jpg

And some flipped out news came my way today. My lfs called about the fish tank and stand. She ordered the wrong one and somehow Deep Blue Professionals sent it to Georgia! So she called to advise me and it'll be next week before they come. So hopefully I'll be picking up the tank and stand that Saturday.

And it's been decided. Going w/ the Tunze for both my 34 and this 45.

Still debating about the substrate in this tank. Can 20-25lbs of rock, or however many pounds I can fit into the 20L seed premium black aquarium gravel? My problem w/ crushed coral is that it gets dirty, changes color permanently and holds nitrates.

Archived