Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I returned the stand yesterday and my lfs was telling me that tomorrow if she doesn't hear anything more satisfactory she's asking for the Deep Blue Professionals supv over her rep. She said they didn't see why we'd have to get down below once everything was hooked up- so she said "because sumps break" and they told her "sumps don't break". So instead of just admitting fault that the wrong stand was sent (and the stand is still being shown online) they want to argue w/ her. They also told her to send the stand and tank back since they don't go together at no cost to the lfs, which isn't what needs to be done either. Just need to send the right stand. I don't know why this is such a difficult issue.

The rep is a moron. How you gonna get the tank in the stand if you can't get it out? Build the stand around the tank?

Yeah, when they told my lfs that she said that totally made her realize that they didn't even own a saltwater tank. I figure if the correct stand can't be sent then give me the money back and she already said she knows someone that makes stands, and in that case I may even get some money back for the price difference.

I saw the tank made for my friend's 90 by them and it turned out really nice so that might be fine but it'd be faster to have one that was shipped.

FlowerMama

I called my lfs today. The correct stand is to be delivered btw Wed and Fri. Well....tomorrow's almost here. We'll see. Not holding my breath on this one. I'd love to be able to pick it up on Saturday, put it in it's position, have the lights put up and add water, rock, etc and get this show on the road.

I do have a question about this cycling I'm doing. Obviously it's more concentrated because the tank is full except the last 3 inches. When you get to the end, where it's time to do the "big" water change, in my case, the rocks would be going into the refugium w/ the 20g and the 45g would be filled up, so in that case I would think that would be all I'd have to do right? And then add my Seachem Denitrate as my substrate? Does this sound plausible?

Mon I pick up my 2 pieces of glass and silicone them in. I better finish up and get my purchases finished w/ my GCFI plug, I do see there is one upstairs but no downstairs, would they be linked in anyway or are they only upstairs in this case? Have to get the strip and get another ATO. I hope I'm not missing anything.

FlowerMama

This is what's happening in the 10g that's holding my 27lbs of live rock. Ammonia's out the roof but it's so concentrated in there w/ the amt of rock and little water.

001_zps05f023e5.jpg

If you hit the button on the gfci all the outlets that is linked to it will be off an easy way is to use a vacuum cleaner hooked up the the outlet you plan on using leave the vacuum on and push the gfci button if it stays on it is on a different breaker. I know I had my son put one in my bedroom and it will take out nearly 1/4 of the kitchen, my bedrrom and bathroom.

Have you considered dosing Prime or Alpha or the like to try for a softer cycle? Or are you going for more of a Thunderdome approach - only the strong shall survive? ;)

That's KP aquatics rock, right? Very nice mix of shapes and lots of crevices in whatever pieces you opt to put in your display for the rock flower anemones to anchor to.

With an ammonia reading like that, it must be just like being on the beach on a nice sunny day in your house... at low tide. The day after a storm. ;)

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what you do with this. I'm eyeballing adding a RFA or two to my own tank after seeing your other tank thread (the evolve, I think). That or Mirya's threads... I'm not really sure who to credit/blame.

This is what's happening in the 10g that's holding my 27lbs of live rock. Ammonia's out the roof but it's so concentrated in there w/ the amt of rock and little water.

001_zps05f023e5.jpg

That's nothing i took the readings with one of those test kits and was so far off the chart it turned an amazing shade of royal blue.
FlowerMama

Thunderdome :lol:

Looks like some juicy live rock soup there :).

Here's the 27lbs of rock in the 10g. I told 'em I just wanted grapefruit size pieces w/ lots of holes, didn't have to look pretty. Nice and murky!

002_zps9fa94b1b.jpg

FlowerMama

Have you considered dosing Prime or Alpha or the like to try for a softer cycle? Or are you going for more of a Thunderdome approach - only the strong shall survive? ;)

That's KP aquatics rock, right? Very nice mix of shapes and lots of crevices in whatever pieces you opt to put in your display for the rock flower anemones to anchor to.

My thought is putting the breeders on 4" ceramic tile so they adhere to it so I can remove them more easily then had they attached to the bottom of the aquarium. If I decide to change out one so it's not a breeder I can lean it up vertically so the nem moves down, then I can put the tile back and put another nem in it's place. I would think I could also use a rubber spatula.

I'm also looking at the fact that I don't babies to attach to crevices in a rock, I want them to slide down and away from mama onto my substrate, then I'll move them. I guess I could if my rock doesn't all fit in the refugium, put a piece in each corner.

I have 2 nems that are already 3 inches big. The white and the newest yellow.

004_zpsa5b424ba.jpg

hypostatic

It might work.... unless they decide to move lol.

Oh, do you know what you're planning to do for a CUC for the breeder tank? I found out that bristleworms can end up as RFA food, so they might be a good option

FlowerMama

Good to know. I would have thought that bristle worms would've irritated the nems to close up. Earlier I emailed VIPReef asking him what cuc/snails he'd suggest since he has many tanks devoted to them. Will see what he says. I also told him I was going to use Seachem Denitrate gravel as substrate.

My lfs called me today. I know a couple people w/ the Deep Blue Professional derimmed 60 which is 48 x 24 x 12. Told her to get that priced out and ordered. I was kinda thinking the 45 wouldn't be big enough after I saw it. I don't want to have to upgrade in a year. She said she's not heard of them having issues w/ the 60. Said that her DBP rep's supv now knows what a mess this was so she said, there shouldn't be an issue. With this crazy mess they should offer to give me the 60 for the 45.

Now I wonder, will 27lbs of rock be enough biological filtration? I will probably have to get more and put some in the corners of the display tank which may look kinda cool- for extra filtration and clean up crew homes. I wonder, w/ the increased size, usually when the rock is cycled you do a large water change, in this case I think I can just add the remaining tank water and call it done. Right?

If you're in need of a larger biofilter it's hard to go wrong with a baffle full of Matrix or other marine zeolite media... it's pretty inexpensive stuff. Just have to make sure it's in a flow-through area & it wouldn't hurt to think ahead and put it in a loose-weave media bag to make the periodic shaking easier.

Absolutely nuts what you're having to going through to get this build started - you must have the patience of Job.

FlowerMama

If you're in need of a larger biofilter it's hard to go wrong with a baffle full of Matrix or other marine zeolite media... it's pretty inexpensive stuff. Just have to make sure it's in a flow-through area & it wouldn't hurt to think ahead and put it in a loose-weave media bag to make the periodic shaking easier.

Absolutely nuts what you're having to going through to get this build started - you must have the patience of Job.

Patience I have. Too much in my first marriage and my first husband took advantage of that.

I actually always enjoyed things which took patience, even younger as a kid, 2,000 piece puzzles, coloring, later crochetting. Now apparently this tank, but this is not how I wanted things to go. Nothing smooth at all.

Now if I'm going 60 I may have to get the 120 lenses for the 27" Maxspect. This has changed up everything. At least they only need medium to med high to be happy. It still may work, let's put it this way. It will have to work, I don't have money for more lights.

FlowerMama

I like the way the Maxspect Razors look with the 120 vs the 90s anyway!

Where do I buy those lenses?

FlowerMama

I would definately swap the optics for 120s or just say screw it to optics at all.

So would taking them out completely just give the widest spread possible? the tank is 48 x 24 x 12.

Archived