Top Shelf Aquatics

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

Ok, so it's 1:17am, been making more water, thought I was done. Still not. Water is way low on the right side so there's not enough water and I'm bubbly because it's half air going up the tube. When drained I have 2 more inches left. Of course maybe I should put the skimmer on the left side to take up some space. Won't be turning it on yet though. There's still something I have to figure out. Should I add another inch of water and see where I'm at? I'm not leaking anywhere so that is good so far.

Nanofreak79

I'd put everything in there. Removing my skimmer sets off my ATO. The water will be at the right height when it's halfway across the durso drain in the overflow. Basically fill until it starts spilling into the overflow, make sure your sump is where you want it level wise and start it up. You'll most likely need to add a little water to make up for the overflow box. I can take pics if you want.

FlowerMama

Ok, so could this be something w/ the rate of the return? or the water falling from the overflow? Weird, I have the same pump in my 34 but I didn't have this problem. The return section is 7" wide which easily accomodates the pump.

FlowerMama

So, when turned off my water is not that high in the overflow. Maybe pictures will help explain what I can't. When it's running I have like 2 inches of water in the return. This is what it's like when it's turned off. I don't feel like I should need any more water so seems like something else must be up. You can see where the water went down in the overflow after draining so it looks like the height there was fine. Do I need to slow the flow down for the Mag 7? This is just weird because I had it on full in my 34 but the LIfereef overflow matches the rate. I see now there's only 1.5" of space before the bottom overflows when completely drained.

004_zps05573c5a.jpg

005_zps1eb3f730.jpg

007_zps7bd155c1.jpg

Nanofreak79

Take out some water if your level in the sump is to high. If you want the DT level higher tighten that plate and move it up.

FlowerMama

Take out some water if your level in the sump is to high. If you want the DT higher tighten that plate and move it up.

Ok, I can do that. Cuz it is too low up top and too high below. But could it be that the return is sending up water faster than it can flow down and over to the pump? I need a ball joint then, right?

Nanofreak79

I have about 500 ish gph going through mine. I've turned up my dc pump all the way to 1300 and it's handled that rate too.

Ok, I can do that. Cuz it is too low up top and too high below. But could it be that the return is sending up water faster than it can flow down and over to the pump? I need a ball joint then, right?
Set the plate higher and check the sump level after that. Adjust your sump volume once you get the height you want in the DT.

http://flic.kr/p/nygx6Y'>14148651310_55c4360109.jpghttp://flic.kr/p/nygx6Y'>My Photo Stream-822 by -Nanofreak79-

FlowerMama

I took out water out of the sump. And put it up top.

The overflow regulator, are the teeth to be facing up or down? it wasn't in place when I bought it so maybe I have it upside down? Going to bed. really tired. Put heater in display tank and going to bed. Thanks for your help!!

008_zps100aa18d.jpg

Nanofreak79

The open half circles on the plate should face down, around the nuts that tighten it. I've used it upside down before on my 34 so I don't think it's a major issue.

FlowerMama

The open half circles on the plate should face down, around the nuts that tighten it. I've used it upside down before on my 34 so I don't think it's a major issue.

SO that might be the issue, mine were facing up. I have to check now. what the hell, it's only almost 3 am and I have to get up at 6:30. Nope. That's it, I'm exhausted.

FlowerMama

What I'm wondering is if the middle section is really slowing the water flow down so it's coming down & over slower than it's being sent back up leaving me w/ emptiness in my pump's heart. So I'm gonna try slow down the return pump by a 1/4 and see if that helps. I can tell you that what's returning out into the tank is extremely strong- shooting like a volcano out the return nozzle. Like, it gives all the movement I'd ever need. I'm tired, didn't sleep, was too hyped up, took a shower, went to bed at 3:30 and didn't sleep at all even though I was so exhausted. And my thighs are sore from walking down 14 stairs w/ 5 g. buckets. I'll try & let ya'll know.

011_zpsff091a39.jpg

FlowerMama

Damn. Too big on the valve. I even brought the 3/4" interior diameter tubing w/ me and told the guy what I was doing and I'm too tired to go back today. I'm so tired. I need to nap. I'll do it tomorrow on the way back from work again. I need to nap, and I know my nap will go longer than what Lowes will be open.

FlowerMama

I think I'll just do the smart thing, bring the pump in WITH with me to Lowes. DUH!! :wacko: Nap was good, feeling better.

Nanofreak79
I think I'll just do the smart thing, bring the pump in WITH with me to Lowes. DUH!! :wacko: Nap was good, feeling better.

I now take anything I can with me. I have a supply of plumbing parts to start a small store.

Nanofreak79
Lowes opens in about 7-9 hours i think.

There use to be a 24 hour HD in my area. Sadly no more. Can't do any late night projects I guess.

FlowerMama

I have some kind of life in there. There was little indent in the sand about 6 inches long, something scooted itself across the sand and it was like someone dragged a pencil tip across.

FlowerMama

Bobbit worm??? :huh::wacko:

I have no idea, there are only 8 small pieces of rock in the display right now. I don't want THAT snake.

But I would like to put a piece of interest in there aside from the 3 corners of rock w/ dragon's breath. I am thinking put an island of gsp because I need to remove it from my Evolve 8 and put a different piece on the bottom to hold the structure there.

I would though like 2-3 fish for some fecal nutrients but I can't have anything that would jump of course. What about a sand sifter of some kind?

I have no idea, there are only 8 small pieces of rock in the display right now. I don't want THAT snake.

But I would like to put a piece of interest in there aside from the 3 corners of rock w/ dragon's breath. I am thinking put an island of gsp because I need to remove it from my Evolve 8 and put a different piece on the bottom to hold the structure there.

I would though like 2-3 fish for some fecal nutrients but I can't have anything that would jump of course. What about a sand sifter of some kind?

Orange diamond gobies are pretty, but they REALLY move sand I hear.

I love GSP...as long as you are careful to contain it!

Unlikely a Bobbit worm, but do be careful with your hands.

Archived