Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

Congrats on the being an aunt part! You've come a long way since we started our evolve 8's! I remember you pming me about your husband and to never take your loved ones for granted, Your husband was a lucky man to have someone as loving as you. The tank and light look so sleek! I remember wanting a shallow tank for so long. I'm actually on the couch right now, little one asleep next to me cutting all blood circulation from my arm and I'm starting at the tank. Last year I would of ####ed this tank up bad but with help from this community and friends locally I've seen to be able to keep it alive.

Group hug! :grouphug:

Also a fan of the community, and why I get so grumpy when some dufus comes in and goes all internet tough guy on us.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

Thinking about you this weekend...happy thoughts! Good news on the new kiddos!

Soon, they said they want her to hold on one more week to make it 36 wks so they should be born this upcoming weekend now. She's being a sport. She was a size 2 before this, very small frame, so I give her all the kudos in the world for going as long as she is, she's miserable and said she can barely walk.

Congrats on the being an aunt part! You've come a long way since we started our evolve 8's! I remember you pming me about your husband and to never take your loved ones for granted, Your husband was a lucky man to have someone as loving as you. The tank and light look so sleek! I remember wanting a shallow tank for so long. I'm actually on the couch right now, little one asleep next to me cutting all blood circulation from my arm and I'm starting at the tank. Last year I would of ####ed this tank up bad but with help from this community and friends locally I've seen to be able to keep it alive.

I have no idea why I never get notified anymore let me 're subscribe.

Thanks, very soon. I appreciate everyone's feedback here and like you I know I wouldn't have progressed this far w/o having a million and one questions answered by friendly folks.

So, I'm making water now. But look what I found- leftovers from the accessories that LifeReef gave me. Don't have to go to the store now. Is this all I have to do now?

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/008_zps89372c9a.jpg.html'>008_zps89372c9a.jpg

Group hug! :grouphug:

Also a fan of the community, and why I get so grumpy when some dufus comes in and goes all internet tough guy on us.

thanks. Oh, that guy from the other day? He needs some medication, bad.

FlowerMama

I know it's hard to see but I think I have everything hooked up anyway, just not the skimmer. I may have to cut a little more return line because the slack is causing the pump to not lay flat. I just don't want to cut it too much because I don't want it to kink where it goes up to the bulkhead. I do have a piece of rubber I can put up against the wall where the pump is touching it because the line is pushing the pump so it's not laying flat. I'll have to get the clamps from Lowes for just below the bulkheads; ones I had didn't fit.

Big bulkhead down to sock.

011_zps1962c2c3.jpg

Return line from pump- see all the slack.

013_zpse5b6f270.jpg

015_zps797390de.jpg

Currently I have the power strip sitting on top of the overflow bucket, I plan to have it velcroed to the wall and some other cables I'll have to secure to the stand walls so they're not dangling.

I almost have 20 g of water filtered. I just read that the heater has to be in a GFCI plug on it's own or something so instead of going to the power cord I guess I'll have that going right out the circular hole in the back once it's in the 1st chamber to the outlet on it's own. Question: Does the power strip need to be plugged into the yellow GFCI plug or as long as the GCFI plug is plugged in it can just go in the outlet? I just don't know these things.

FlowerMama

I didn't put a ball valve by the pump because I'm using the same pump on the 34 and it's at full speed so I didn't see the reason to use one here on this one for the 60. I know it's basic and nothing fancy, don't plan on a light except something that I'll turn on to check if everything looks ok. I won't be having a fuge w/ macro. Just the rock that has no macro on it and pond matrix.

Is this all ok?

FlowerMama

I'm heating up a little more saltwater for my sump. When the bottom is full, do I then pour in the top til it's just at the edge of going over, pour and then turn on the pump? I've never started one like this because I had the LIfeReef overflow on the 34 and the process is different and I don't want to make a mistake.

FlowerMama

No, I don't have a clamp at all on the return pump in the return pump section. I didn't use one on my 34 and I've seen no issue, it's stuck on good, as well as the others all were heated up and they cooled down over them. 1st just a pic of the ATO I don't have going yet, didn't see how I could since I don't know what the level of the water is going to be yet.

I didn't know how much rock was going to fit, or the Pond matrix. I put half a gallon of Pond Matrix and then the rest rock, and I have like 7 pieces in the display tank because they had some green fuzzy macro on them. I hope that's enough. At some point then I guess I'll have enough Pond Matrix to switch out.

016_zps58555f4c.jpg

017_zpsd7b3b907.jpg

Making more water. I told myself I wanted to be done by 6/2. I'm almost there! What a day w/ draining the tank and filling up again. But, back to my question, how do I end up starting this thing? When do I turn on the pump?

Thanks everybody for believing in me because I have a hard time believing in myself, especially when I haven't done something before.

Annette, I just have to tell you that I blame you and Gena for my rock flower nem addiction. I just bought 2 more :unsure: Ha!

FlowerMama

I'm going to put this rubber mat on the right side of the pump that is hitting the glass because of the pressure of the vinyl hose. I never did cut any more down.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/019_zps72566316.jpg.html'>019_zps72566316.jpg

Annette, I just have to tell you that I blame you and Gena for my rock flower nem addiction. I just bought 2 more :unsure: Ha!

Ha. Felicia, I"m so glad you love 'em. They're easy to take care of, cute little boogers, but as they get bigger they're still awesome even though the pattern might change a little bit. Where'd ya buy them from?

Ha. Felicia, I"m so glad you love 'em. They're easy to take care of, cute little boogers, but as they get bigger they're still awesome even though the pattern might change a little bit. Where'd ya buy them from?

They are so easy! I picked them up from a local store. :)

FlowerMama

Wow that was some intense plumbing action a few posts back. I think the mario bros. would be proud

Ha ha ha.

So, how do I get this thing started, I ask for real cuz I don't know. When do I turn on the pump?

FlowerMama

Coming together nicely. You should be able to get some heavy duty Velcro for the dj strip.

I have two inch-wide pieces that are 9.5" long and then 2 pieces that are 4.5 inches long each- if I cut the smaller ones in half and put them on both ends and put the two pieces in the middle I think I'll be ok. Hopefully. And if it falls at least it falls on top of the ATO container lid. Then I have to buy something stronger.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/020_zpse343b663.jpg.html'>020_zpse343b663.jpg

Ha ha ha.

So, how do I get this thing started, I ask for real cuz I don't know. When do I turn on the pump?

Start the pump and the fireworks happen.
FlowerMama

Start the pump and the fireworks happen.

Do I put water in the overflow too right now before the pump starts? I might not be done by midnight but 6/2 is still not over on the west coast!

You don't have to. The display will fill then it flows into the overflow then down the drain into the sump.

Does the tank have water in it or just the sump? I usually fill up the display from my Brute then turn the pump on last.

FlowerMama

The tank has water in it and so does the sump, no water in the overflow. So just go ahead & turn the pump on?

FlowerMama

Ok, I did turn it on at 11:59 and I didn't have enough water because I filled up the sump til the baffles, not to the top so making more but this is just an adjustment to the tank that was truly started on 6/2!!!! Making another 5 gallons right now. :P

FlowerMama

just want to say bravo on doing all this yourself. i dont think i can ever pull this off but your passion to learn and succeed is very inspiring =)

Thanks Ninja. It's hard for me because I doubt everything and my husband was very DIY capable- you know the type- built Habitat homes and was a Foreman too on a build.

We'd laugh because I go about everything the harder way and my response was that I'm Polish.

So I know it wasn't the most exciting plumbing out there using vinyl instead of pvc everywhere but there will not be a light below so I don't see a reason that algae will grow much in the tubes. The stand is black and very dark in there.

But, if for whatever reason I believe I need light in there then I have a solution. Green for the short one. Flowers for the long one for the return. DUCT TAPE!!!!

001_zps821c4a96.jpg

Archived