inTank Media Baskets

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

Working on plumbing. Is this what the large bulkhead section is to look like?

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/001_zpsab66d050.jpg.html'>001_zpsab66d050.jpg

And I still have to glue the 1" PVC for underneath right, before it becomes 1" tubing again to the return pump.

Yes that is the Durso drain and how it should look in the overflow. Let me see some pics of the vinyl tubing you are trying to get over the pvc.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlowerMama

Following! How did I not see this thread before?! I'm doing exactly what you're doing! I've got about 14 nems of different varieties in my Caribbean reef biotope. No filtration beyond water changes and macroalgaes in mine because idk if a skimmer will hinder fertilization. I'll get some pics tomorrow when the lights are on.

Oh that's cool!. We'll keep in touch. How long ago did you start your tank? I've heard both sides of yey and nay for skimmer. Because if the water isn't clean and they're not happy they won't spawn. So that was my concern. I also figure there will be many more feeding events than spawning events. If spawning tends to happen in the dark then I was thinking why not run the skimmer during the day? I don't know. Still so much to learn and figure out..

Yes that is the Durso drain and how it should look in the overflow. Let me see some pics of the vinyl tubing you are trying to get over the pvc.

I sent you the pics IM. I still have the other. 1" pvc goes in there and then the 1" vinyl tubing I covered in duct tape to help prevent algae growth if I get a light in there. The tubing is 1" diameter inside so thought it would work.

002_zpsda77ddf7.jpg

Oh that's cool!. We'll keep in touch. How long ago did you start your tank? I've heard both sides of yey and nay for skimmer. Because if the water isn't clean and they're not happy they won't spawn. So that was my concern. I also figure there will be many more feeding events than spawning events. If spawning tends to happen in the dark then I was thinking why not run the skimmer during the day? I don't know. Still so much to learn and figure out..

I sent you the pics IM. I still have the other. 1" pvc goes in there and then the 1" vinyl tubing I covered in duct tape to help prevent algae growth if I get a light in there.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/002_zpsda77ddf7.jpg.html'>002_zpsda77ddf7.jpg

I responded :) I will pm you pics soon as I finish dinner.
JoeDigiorgio

Oh that's cool!. We'll keep in touch. How long ago did you start your tank? I've heard both sides of yey and nay for skimmer. Because if the water isn't clean and they're not happy they won't spawn. So that was my concern. I also figure there will be many more feeding events than spawning events. If spawning tends to happen in the dark then I was thinking why not run the skimmer during the day? I don't know. Still so much to learn and figure out

This tank has been running since January. It's an upgrade from a smaller setup that was running for about a year an a half the same way. I upgraded so I could have room for more Caribbean livestock like chalk bass and seahorses. The anemone collecting started in January but the family grew a lot in the past couple of months. I haven't noticed anything yet but most of mine are in the 1.5" range...not big enough yet I don't think. So I've just been growing them out. I don't think they mind the "dirty water" too much. They seems very happy and are growing well. I bought them for varied color not size lol

The tank is literally filterless though. Just powerheads and macros. There really isn't much algae growth though. Not on the glass or from the macros. I don't think my water is all that dirty. There's never much food wasted between the nems, CUC and fish.

FlowerMama

This tank has been running since January. It's an upgrade from a smaller setup that was running for about a year an a half the same way. I upgraded so I could have room for more Caribbean livestock like chalk bass and seahorses. The anemone collecting started in January but the family grew a lot in the past couple of months. I haven't noticed anything yet but most of mine are in the 1.5" range...not big enough yet I don't think. So I've just been growing them out. I don't think they mind the "dirty water" too much. They seems very happy and are growing well. I bought them for varied color not size lol

The tank is literally filterless though. Just powerheads and macros. There really isn't much algae growth though. Not on the glass or from the macros. I don't think my water is all that dirty. There's never much food wasted between the nems, CUC and fish.

Yeah, i love these guys so the "family" has definitely grown!!!!!!! Isn't it addicting to see them brown and then as you put them in the tank they come alive!!!

I responded :) I will pm you pics soon as I finish dinner.

Thanks, I have to go eat dinner myself. I'm off tomorrow, thankfully, so I can get what I need from Lowes then. I've heard people say glue and not glue the bulkhead. So I need some clarification. I've been told the rubber piece will make the seal so I just want to make sure I'm not confused.

Here is a picture of my return but same concept because I hard plumb my drain. But you can use vinyl on the drain with no problems.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/Snapbucket/D1ED4447.jpg.html'>D1ED4447.jpg

Slip to threaded pvc coupling and a barbed to threaded piece. These are just for refrence you can get all this at Lowes or Home Depot

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/Snapbucket/14466C8A.jpg.html'>14466C8A.jpg

Then glue the slip end to the pvc coming out of the bulkhead. Then teflon tape on the barbed fitting and screw it into the threaded part of the coupling. It will look like this

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/Snapbucket/F55FD8F3.jpg.html'>F55FD8F3.jpg

Put the vinyl hose on and it will look like this when finished you can ise a metal clamp of you want to.

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/Snapbucket/D1ED4447.jpg.html'>D1ED4447.jpg

Or you can buy bigger vinyl tubing and slide it right over the pvc and clamp it but it's not the correct way.

Or you can take the rubber gasket from the new bulkhead and use it on the Deep Blue barbed ones. The gasket is what makes there bulkheads leak. Once you have the drain and return bulkheads tightened in the overflow pour a few cups of water in the overflow. Let that sit overnight and check to make sure your bulkheads are not leaking.

FlowerMama

Or you can take the rubber gasket from the new bulkhead and use it on the Deep Blue barbed ones. The gasket is what makes there bulkheads leak. Once you have the drain and return bulkheads tightened in the overflow pour a few cups of water in the overflow. Let that sit overnight and check to make sure your bulkheads are not leaking.

I do think this will be the easier option for me since I already have it at home. And I do not glue down the bulkhead or the rubber gasket, right?

I do think this will be the easier option for me since I already have it at home. And I do not glue down the bulkhead or the rubber gasket, right?

As Mirya said correct. Gasket on the inside of the overflow and hand tighten the nut on the bottom tight as you can turn it with hand.

Don't forget to check for any burrs on the mating surfaces of the bulkheads. They can be sanded down or trimmed off with a razor blade.

Nanofreak79
ok, it is NOT easy, even w/ boiling water or blow dryer to stretch the 1" vinyl tubing over the 1" PVC. Still working on plumbing, been doing on/off today. I've been distracted with it being the 2 yr anniversary of my husband's passing but I've been doing this so I could try to stay distracted.

Plumbing pic looks right. Sometimes I cut just a small slit in the tubing to help get it started over the fitting. I also let it sit in hot water for a bit to.

FlowerMama

Crap, look at what I just discovered! I centered the tank on the stand front to back, not thinking about the screwing underneath- dumb on my part to not look. I'm going to take out 20g and the rock and see if I can move it at all w/ my neighbor tomorrow. Needs to go to the right. If I still can't I'll have to take out some more water of course and then still may have to get out the dremel and cut away that part of the stand. Damn it! :angry: I better go start draining and get a heater in it. I might as well start doing water changes on my other tanks right now. I'll need that other 20g Brute and there's warmed up water in it, unsalted. Gonna be a longer night than what I originally wanted.

003_zpscd6d9696.jpg

Nanofreak79

Will the lip of the bulkhead still fit inside the spac between the stand and the glass. Basically you get the bulkhead there and screw in the rest by holding the bulkhead and not screwing the bulkhead by hand.

FlowerMama

Will the lip of the bulkhead still fit inside the spac between the stand and the glass. Basically you get the bulkhead there and screw in the rest by holding the bulkhead and not screwing the bulkhead by hand.

The bulkhead will go in but the issue is the bottom can't be screwed in. Let me try it again.

FlowerMama

Nope. Can't get it in the lip. I know what you meant, get the bottom there and then screw in the top.

You have to just laugh. It's always something but reefing is in our blood :). Take the tank off the stand and cut a nice half moon out with your dremel you will be good to go ;).

FlowerMama

I'll cut it out with whatever piece I have. It won't look pretty but at this point I don't give a schit. I'm not in the best of moods today because of my husband's passing. Miss this blasted guy!

LovingEyes_zps66e8bde5.jpg

369_zpsd2150e81.jpg

FlowerMama

1/3 of the water and all the rock is out. Did a water change in my Evolve 8 Clam tank, my Gertie-Murderous Wench Tank, and tomorrow morning it'll be my 34g rock flower hoarding tank and then I'll have room to fill the 20g Brute again w/ saltwater from this tank. Then tomorrow I'll see if the neighbor and I can move it over &%!#^@$ 1 cm!!

Nanofreak79

I did the same thing with my 34 gallon. Fortunately I was able to get the bulkhead in and screw it in from the top. It's always something. Sorry to hear about your crappy day. I hope tomorrow brings you happier thoughts.

FlowerMama

I did the same thing with my 34 gallon. Fortunately I was able to get the bulkhead in and screw it in from the top. It's always something. Sorry to hear about your crappy day. I hope tomorrow brings you happier thoughts.

Thanks, I"m usually pretty good at keeping my cool but some days are too emotional like today so that's why I asked for tomorrow off a couple mos back. It will be a better day tomorrow.

FlowerMama

ok, so I did a 8 gallon water change on my 34, so I emptied the 20g Brute, moved it to the basement and got 20 more gallons of saltwater in. I was able to move it myself and I was able to fit the screw portion of the bulkhead in w/ about 1/16 of an inch to spare. I put the O-ring from the better bulkheads and screwed both in. Put 3 cups of water and in the last 45 mins it hasn't leaked.

So I assume I'm ok now to attach the vinyl hose to the end of those bulkheads? And I assume it'd probably be easier get a kitchen towel and sop up the water in the overflow and then take the end portion of the bulkhead to the kitchen w/ the hose and do the hair dryer or microwave water trick? and then get 2 clamps from the hardware store? So, in this fashion I'm actually not using glue anywhere, correct? SO, w/ no pvc glue anywhere I should be able to put it all together and run it, right?

I"m gonna start putting the water back into the tank and pour it into a small gallon bucket on the sand so sand doesn't go flying.

BattleAthletics

Congrats on the being an aunt part! You've come a long way since we started our evolve 8's! I remember you pming me about your husband and to never take your loved ones for granted, Your husband was a lucky man to have someone as loving as you. The tank and light look so sleek! I remember wanting a shallow tank for so long. I'm actually on the couch right now, little one asleep next to me cutting all blood circulation from my arm and I'm starting at the tank. Last year I would of ####ed this tank up bad but with help from this community and friends locally I've seen to be able to keep it alive.

I have no idea why I never get notified anymore let me 're subscribe.

Archived