Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

Your RFA's are so beautiful!! :wub:

I hope my tiny ones make it. I think in the future I'll make sure to buy them when they are a little bigger!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When they're the size of a pin head w a mouth it's difficult to feed them, they can't even grasp it. And this little one I fed a little piece while the whole head closed immediately upon touching it as a reaction, I don't know if it actually ate it. I looked for it yest and didn't see it so it may have gone even further under the skirt of the other nem. But, I'm hoping that rotifer feeding will help with that. And I'm ordering some Doc's Eco Super Eggs so hopefully the smallness of that will help as well.

Not great pics but here they are. I was looking more for what I needed for breeding purposes. I needed another white- hoping to have white fringe or white in some nems. Not really sure what makes the striping radiating rings of color but I have always liked the whites.. A white w/ pink fringe as I love the pink fringe on another I have and hope to pass on that characteristic. The little orange one is really orange w/ a dark green center and the last is a yellow/green. Crushed coral is starting to get dirty but it is what it is.

20150201_145602_zpsebw18osy.jpg

009_zps64ab526e.jpg

001_zpsdfae9eef.jpg

The one on the left.

011_zpsad2881a8.jpg

So, let's try it again w/ my cell phone, go figure, it shows more true color. AND a pic of the only baby!! Orange w/ white fringe.

Bottom right, the new orange trim one, definitely more orange and not red like the others. I'm still looking out for a full orange.

20150202_200548_zps0eybgzzk.jpg

The full orange may be coming from this baby!!! It was bright orange and it looks like it's getting lighter in the middle. The lone survivor from the first batch. I think she's big enough that I can say I got this! I can keep her alive.

20150202_200426_zpsik4ongzg.jpg

Oh, and I am trying to religiously feed the nems everyday so this next batch of babies come out stronger when born.

Oh wow!!!! How exciting and what an adorable baby squishy!!!! :wub:

I think I can keep this one alive now since I have the rotifers. What's hard is I have to distract the other 2 because their skirts cover her and when they fall back down they grab the mysis inadvertently and I need to get her fed. I'm trying cyclopeeze tomorrow in the pipette so I'm hoping to see her get some. I'm calling her Lil' Cutie, just like the tangerines. I'm keeping her. Good thing I'm not raising puppies!!!

So I saw on VIP Reef's Facebook page yesterday that they announced they got 150 nems in. I went over to their website to see what they had. I think a lot had gotten sold before I saw the announcement (it was close to a week old when I saw it). However, I did see that they had what must have been a private sale for a "Nems Package" that totaled $1050! (I wish there were pictures for it.) I immediately thought you you, Annette! I know you wouldn't go dropping a grand on nems (can you imagine what your mother would say?), but we can always dream, right?

I tried removing the purple tint from the razor and bumping up the black levels. Does this look closer to what you see in real life??

nems.jpg

a little better.

So I saw on VIP Reef's Facebook page yesterday that they announced they got 150 nems in. I went over to their website to see what they had. I think a lot had gotten sold before I saw the announcement (it was close to a week old when I saw it). However, I did see that they had what must have been a private sale for a "Nems Package" that totaled $1050! (I wish there were pictures for it.) I immediately thought you you, Annette! I know you wouldn't go dropping a grand on nems (can you imagine what your mother would say?), but we can always dream, right?

Nope, not me. But that is like 20 nems. Actually, the pics didn't change the last week. I think he's just posting a little at a time. I haven't bought any yet. I did tell him I would be ordering soon though. I am looking for some specific nems at this point. I do need another rainbow, still want a full solid orange, solid light green like I had at one point in my 34. I'm needing one like this.....

0a4947c9-0ae5-4678-b0b9-f962654e035f_zps

I also need one like this because it didn't make it in the transition.

VIP1585_zps2339b318.jpg

Don't know why I didn't think of it before but I decided to lift the rock closer to the light to get a pic of the adorable baby squishy flower.

She really is as bright as the inside of an orange but my cell or my Nikon can't capture that. Since she is the lone survivor I'm keeping my baby. Especially since I wanted an orange one. I LOVE that she's so tiny but that she already has ribbing on her tentacles. On other flowers I've had the ribbing only came after they got past like 1.5". And zooming in on my cell she has a purple/blue center.

20150208_200107_1_zpsm1jfe9vc.jpg

I can't wait to see if she changes or keeps that exact coloring :happydance:.

I'll be excited to find out. Some nems I have looked better when they were smaller, others became more beautiful as they matured so who knows.

God this thread has me so incredibly excited. Trying ot get my tanks stabalied before I go running off for rock flowers.. Murrrrr.

How did you rid yourself of the a hair algae you had when you started?

I think I can keep this one alive now since I have the rotifers. What's hard is I have to distract the other 2 because their skirts cover her and when they fall back down they grab the mysis inadvertently and I need to get her fed. I'm trying cyclopeeze tomorrow in the pipette so I'm hoping to see her get some. I'm calling her Lil' Cutie, just like the tangerines. I'm keeping her. Good thing I'm not raising puppies!!!

Hey try this Calanus dry zooplankton powder for feeding the baby nems. Its so much easier then rotifers and can be a good mix for your baby in additon to the rotifers. I use this on a food rotation for my baby nems and have made feeding my baby nems literally a 5 min chore. If I were the swearing type I'd be swearing right now by this.

post-84525-0-08334100-1423495212_thumb.jpg

God this thread has me so incredibly excited. Trying ot get my tanks stabalied before I go running off for rock flowers.. Murrrrr.

How did you rid yourself of the a hair algae you had when you started?

I had bad cyano but basically water changes 10x over

Hey try this Calanus dry zooplankton powder for feeding the baby nems. Its so much easier then rotifers and can be a good mix for your baby in additon to the rotifers. I use this on a food rotation for my baby nems and have made feeding my baby nems literally a 5 min chore. If I were the swearing type I'd be swearing right now by this.

I've never seen or heard of it. I'll have to try it. I already am using Oyster Feast and Phytofeast, cyclopeeze, mysis, Coral Frenzy and Reef Bugs. Are any of these food items repeating themselves?

Oh, and did a water change this evening on this tank - small one, 15 g on a 60 that has a 20 sump is not enough. I have to get more water going and do it again on the weekend. I only have a 20g Brute and I also had to do a water change on my Evolve 8 so I was basically out of water and making some top off right now as my 60 container is empty.

• 2 weeks later...
michael_cb_125

Loving your rock flower anemones.

I glossed through the entire thread so I am sure I have missed something. But have you got to see the anemones spawn?

I have figure out that in my system I have four males for sure. Every fifth day I have four tha t stand very tall and release sperm. The display gets very cloudy and the other anemones open the mouth a drawn in. My system has not been up as long as yours but I am impressed in the rate at which these anemones reproduce. I have found four babies, red with white stripes.

I have a cool video of "the release" that I can share if you would like to see, I can post here or create another thread as not to high jack yours.

Loving your rock flower anemones.

I glossed through the entire thread so I am sure I have missed something. But have you got to see the anemones spawn?

I have figure out that in my system I have four males for sure. Every fifth day I have four tha t stand very tall and release sperm. The display gets very cloudy and the other anemones open the mouth a drawn in. My system has not been up as long as yours but I am impressed in the rate at which these anemones reproduce. I have found four babies, red with white stripes.

I have a cool video of "the release" that I can share if you would like to see, I can post here or create another thread as not to high jack yours.

Holy cow!! every 5 days??? Hey, what kind of light cycle do you have? I didn't have luck w/ the first 20 babies. Only one survived. Husbandry is difficult for me so far. I've read to feed from Tropicornium and then I run across a member here who doesn't feed. So it's still a mystery to me finding the balance.

I have 4 males that I've seen in my tank thus far. With it being in the basement I'm sure I'm missing some but I've only seen 3 spawning so far since Oct. Had babies the one time so if anyone's going to give birth it should be soon. After the first male spawn I saw babies 3 mos later, don't know if that's normal or if I just missed something. More than possible.

Here's one spawning video. I'd love to see yours- either here or in the Rock Flower Anemone Appreciation thread- makes no difference to me. I'm battling some green cyano right now. Joy.

I agree with Gena. the simplicity of this tank is what make's it so stunning. Really cool and unique Annette. Congrats on the spawning too!

Thank You Zia. More to learn and I've been feeling down for 2 wks so next week I have some more nems coming in. I want to have pics as soon as I've cleared up some cyano. Under Kessil 350 I had whites 75% and blues 100% all day for 8 hrs and didn't have this green cyano. Under my Maxspect I am and I only have maybe 5 hrs of it at the highest of 100%Blue and 50% White so I'm thinking it may be flow related in this long tank.

michael_cb_125

I run a max spect 160k fixture. I run seven hours of lighting. I run the fixture to ramp from zero to 100% and then back down.They get 100% of both channels for an hour per day.

The babies that i am getting have started out at .2". I feed a large mixture of foods and I feed a minimum of five times daily. I do this primarily for the gorgonians but I feel that the nems benefit just as much.

I have four babies that are one month old and are .4". They have doubled in size. These little guys have been taking shaved oyster very well.

What water temperature are you running?

My system fluctuates from 74-75 F.

i'm like at 76-79 on temp. I only ran the whites to 50% as I was concerned with too much light. I'll have to change that. So maybe I've had it too dark? contributing to cyano maybe? I only had one baby survive and now I can't find her.

11 am 0 1
12 30 65
1 50 100
5 50 100
8 30 75
9 0 0

Ignore my IM, you just answered my questions.

michael_cb_125

Is your maxspect a 10 or 16k.

I own both an I am unable to run the 10k unit at 100% on white due to bleaching issues. The 16k unit does not give me this issue

Archived