Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

I'm afraid what the price will be on these guys when I'm ready to buy more :).

Wish I knew the answer to your chemiclean question. I'm sure someone will have some advice for you!

Guess I'm just going to do the water change and add again and just follow directions. Probably the safest path. I'm just really frustrated. Thanks Gena.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is your third treatment with no results, then it may not work against the species that you have.

Well, what does work? Just continued water changes?

After 2nd water change, I checked my phosphates. Zero so that's not feeding this cyano and nitrates are zero as always. I decided to turn off white spectrum completely and just keep blues on, or should I turn off blue as well???. We'll see how this goes the next couple days.

jedimasterben

Cyanobateria can use the entire visible electromagmetic spectrum for photosynthesis and are extremely efficient with it, so just turning off some light won't do anything for it, it will still be getting enough.

Cyanobacteria is just a part of "the uglies" and will persist until it doesn't, takes longer in some tanks than others, it seems to be something that just happens. I know not a good answer, but that's the best I've come up with in what I know of the subject. If Chemiclean doesn't do it then I would suggest to increase filtration capacity - larger protein skimmer, more activated carbon, algae scrubber, etc. Larger water changes will work, but need to be large to have an impact and you will need to continue them for the rest of the life of the tank if you chose them as your main nutrient export strategy.

Cyanobateria can use the entire visible electromagmetic spectrum for photosynthesis and are extremely efficient with it, so just turning off some light won't do anything for it, it will still be getting enough.

Cyanobacteria is just a part of "the uglies" and will persist until it doesn't, takes longer in some tanks than others, it seems to be something that just happens. I know not a good answer, but that's the best I've come up with in what I know of the subject. If Chemiclean doesn't do it then I would suggest to increase filtration capacity - larger protein skimmer, more activated carbon, algae scrubber, etc. Larger water changes will work, but need to be large to have an impact and you will need to continue them for the rest of the life of the tank if you chose them as your main nutrient export strategy.

So just turning off the light altogether is the better move then. There soon won't be much nutrients to export as I'll be only feeding once a month. When I'm done w/ the Chemiclean I'll just keep doing some larger water changes I guess. I'll keep the skimmer on for oxygenation but I don't want to take up any spawn.

i did a big water change today and going to see how long it takes cyano to come back. sucks chemiclean is not getting rid of urs.

How long have you had it now? This is my 3rd outbreak since Sept with like a month in between each. But this was the worst one.

jedimasterben

So just turning off the light altogether is the better move then. There soon won't be much nutrients to export as I'll be only feeding once a month. When I'm done w/ the Chemiclean I'll just keep doing some larger water changes I guess. I'll keep the skimmer on for oxygenation but I don't want to take up any spawn.

I would consider making or purchasing an algae scrubber in that case. They are better at oxygenation anyway :)

I would consider making or purchasing an algae scrubber in that case. They are better at oxygenation anyway :)

So do you have a link to making one or purchasing one?

I am gonna suggest this only as last ditch because it will throw the bacterial balance off. It is something I have done in fresh water, and something I have done in my marine tanks of the past. But I have added a small amount of erythromycin into the tank to actually kill off the cyano bacteria. I wouldn't do this unless there was no other thing working.

I am gonna suggest this only as last ditch because it will throw the bacterial balance off. It is something I have done in fresh water, and something I have done in my marine tanks of the past. But I have added a small amount of erythromycin into the tank to actually kill off the cyano bacteria. I wouldn't do this unless there was no other thing working.

Thanks, I'm gonna try to stay away from that I think.

How long have you had it now? This is my 3rd outbreak since Sept with like a month in between each. But this was the worst one.

Just the last month or so since I started feeding more. But I had red cyano in the 5.5g spec since the beginning. I am really hoping the new oxydators will help with both tanks.

Just the last month or so since I started feeding more. But I had red cyano in the 5.5g spec since the beginning. I am really hoping the new oxydators will help with both tanks.

Hope they work for you as well. I've never heard of them or seen them. I just decided to turn off the lights completely the next 2 days so hoping the medicine and the lights will help. Nitrates & phosphates zero and I'm not feeding so hoping this will help.

Oh, and in my frustration at an all time high with everything I bought 3 more nems. After that I can have 4 more and I'm calling it quits (unless I sell a couple to our local group that look similar, we get together for the first time ever the last week of the month). So with that purchase I'll have 46 in this tank. It will be hard not to buy but I need room in that tank to hopefully house future growing babies once I'm done w/ this issue. I did rearrange and put another rock from my fuge into the display and put some rocks in the center so it's just not rocks on the perimeter. The 3 newest will be set on it.

DSC_0003_150__30031.1426881450.1280.1280

DSC_0009_120__72399.1426881744.1280.1280

DSC_0012_120__79835.1426881925.1280.1280

They're all so pretty!!

Pinner Reef

Still fighting mine over here mama. Dosed Chemiclean for the first time last night. FWIW I've also used erythromycin as a treatment with great success. Like Sunstar mentioned though your beneficial bacteria will take a population hit.

I'm hoping this last treatment last night is the last. I did notice the water isn't foaming up as much so I wonder if that means it's killing off the cyano???? I'm hoping. I did go downstairs to check on my ATO bucket and there is less cyano in there, so I'm hopeful.

Did you get your new nems? I recieved mine yesterday from frank at vip and they look great as always. Please post some pictures of your lovelies!

Some pics from yesterday! I didn't have much time as the lights were going down. These 2 were both 1.5", nice size, the other is smaller, like a nickel and so I'm having a hard time getting it. But, happily it's melon rather than pink so I'm happy about that.

20150324_231108_zpsp68odocg.jpg

20150324_230824_zpsbcjz4j1x.jpg

20150324_230659_zpsqdrfqavb.jpg

Did you get your new nems? I recieved mine yesterday from frank at vip and they look great as always. Please post some pictures of your lovelies!

Pictures of your lovelies? you have a thread???

how's the cyano now? oxydator not helping with cyano since they still appear a few days after water change. blah. but my corals look great right now but not sure if that's because of the oxydator.

how's the cyano now? oxydator not helping with cyano since they still appear a few days after water change. blah. but my corals look great right now but not sure if that's because of the oxydator.

I posted at 8:25. Taking that 3rd saltwater bucket down the stairs. Ugh. Then have one more after I mix it up. Getting there!

Love all the new nems, Annette! You always make me jealous with all the awesome rock flower purchases!

Sorry about the cyano! Its just one of those things that happens and a lot of time nothing works and then over time it just starts to go away. My only recommendation is to manually syphon it out as often as possible. I've noticed that helps get rid of it in combo with better filtration, less feeding, and chemical treatment. Not sure if ChemiClean has the same active ingredient as Red Slime Remover, but I've used Red Slime Remover several times with pretty good success.

Archived