ReefCleaners.org

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep up the battle! Mine seem to be dying off and I have a huge bacterial bloom from pulling the sandbed.

Did you pull out the sand bed? Or do you mean you're getting a bacterial bloom every time you siphon the sand bed?

I pulled it completely. Tank doesn't look itself. <_<

What are you replacing with?

Yeah, the name Cyanodinodamnits. Gotta love that name. rolls off the tongue. I can't wait to see how you whip it.

I just want to whip it! Whip it Good!!!

Pinner Reef

What are you replacing with?

Going BB until the I beat the Dinos. I'll eventually I'll put some sand back in there.

Glad your RFA's are taking this well!

Everything in my tank seems to be happy and growing, except for both of my RFA's that have shrunk down and are hiding in an unknown place somewhere in the depths of my rocks.

Just read up on your forum. :) Going to get me some Ultra Rock Flower Anenomes this Weekend at the Max Event in So Cal woop woop haha wish me luck(:

Sorry about the Cyano im dealing with that too but almost gone as well. Great Looking garden. :wub:

I went downstairs 11 pm last night to do an ATO check and roughly 4 males were spawning, not much spawn though as they haven't been fed in a month, or maybe they were almost completed when I checked. So, if something happens I'll be surprised. I worry about feeding the flowers even pellets as I don't want nutrients or nitrates to feed the bacteria at all but I'll need to feed them eventually if they're to become stronger. I'll feed after I know this issue has been termed.

I went downstairs 11 pm last night to do an ATO check and roughly 4 males were spawning, not much spawn though as they haven't been fed in a month, or maybe they were almost completed when I checked. So, if something happens I'll be surprised. I worry about feeding the flowers even pellets as I don't want nutrients or nitrates to feed the bacteria at all but I'll need to feed them eventually if they're to become stronger. I'll feed after I know this issue has been termed.

If your issues are bacterial, would using a probiotic like sanolife mic-F help by out competing bad bacterias. I use it in my seahorse tank to do that. It's easy to get from seahorse source and it's not terribly expensive for how much you get. I remember reading that natalia la roca was going to try it to combat melting zoas. I can't remember reading any results about that but I don't believe it could hurt.

My tiny reef

I got a RFA today and as I was putting in the tank(after acclimating) it released several small white things, could they have been babies??? I found one of them in the sand bed and looks like what I see online of babies, looking for others now. I had the pumps off, when I turn them back on are the babies going to blow away?? How long should I leave them off? Hope I'm not excited about nothing. Look to the right of the middle for the baby. The next pic is the pretty mama!!

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_1.jpg

Trying the pic of the baby again.

I think I found another, behind the feather duster. What do you think?

image_3.jpg

You are a dad now! That's a RFA baby for sure.

And some flowers waiting in the 34g to go into the 60.

20150416_183848_zpsphnflio1.jpg

You are getting really good at taking pics. Those are some beautifl RFAs :wub:

My tiny reef

You are a dad now! That's a RFA baby for sure.

Yay!!! Only, I'm a mom ;) I found another in a rock, the mom RFA moved over the one in the sand bed, think it will ever find it's way out? What kind of survival rate do these little babies have? My $30 was very well spent today!!

For my 20 babies survival was hard because of 3 breakouts whether they be cyano or dinoflagelates. So, can't really say yet but i'm so pleased to hear of more babies everywhere.

I got a RFA today and as I was putting in the tank(after acclimating) it released several small white things, could they have been babies??? I found one of them in the sand bed and looks like what I see online of babies, looking for others now. I had the pumps off, when I turn them back on are the babies going to blow away?? How long should I leave them off? Hope I'm not excited about nothing. Look to the right of the middle for the baby. The next pic is the pretty mama!!

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg

Trying the pic of the baby again.

I had to have mine off til the regular sized rfa settled in. I've had some take a week to settle into the sand so sometimes my pumps have been off for a week.

Oh, and awesome return on your $20!!!!!! Gotta love it. Must just be that time of season because many people have been talking about finding babies in their tanks. I forgot what size your tank was.

You are getting really good at taking pics. Those are some beautifl RFAs :wub:

Thanks. Can't wait to put them in my 60g, one day. I can't put them in til the crap is gone and even then the flow will have to be off til they all secure. I wish they were as fast as securing to the sand as they are rock.

My tiny reef

I have a 14 gallon, running for 9 months now. Today was my second RFA, she was $30. The one I got earlier this week is white/yellow/tan one and she was $20 I'm excited for babies but stressed about them making it. Any advice to increase survival chances? Just did a 10% water change yesterday and keeping the extra power head off for a while. Sorry, not trying to high jack your thread, you just seem to know a lot about them, so you are the first place I came.

Unfortunately, spawning is the easy thing.

As far as husbandry, I've read feed them, I've heard don't, I've heard move them to their own separate containers in the tank but when I did they didn't make it, or they were bothered by the cyano and dino and no matter what I did helped. Soooooo I don't know. I only had babies one time so far and not a one made it of the 21. One I saw, the last pretty orange one, I tried to feed it something daily, and I never saw it again after that.

I fed my tank regularly and a variety because of what I read in Coral Magazine, from Tropicornium, but mine didn't make it. All I managed to get are 3 bouts of cyano/dino. They've only been in the tank since last June, so 11 mos or so.

My tiny reef

Ok, thanks! I'll try not to get too excited, though I already am :(. I think I'll just leave them be and keep the extra power head off unless I start seeing a major algae issue or something. I can't believe how attached and worried about these babies I already feel (and I have two human babies already so you'd think id be okay about it).

The 21 I had were all different colors, biggest was 4 mm, all others were 3 or less so it's hard to feed a pin head. I tried a lot before so now I'm just backing off. Nature doesn't spoon feed and somehow they live, though they have nutrient rich waters in right balance of course. But no, I totally understand worrying about them. I was so dismayed when I went down and couldn't find them. Of course I hoped they were hiding but they just perished I think. And I don't believe the urchins or the hawkwing conchs had anything to do with it as they don't eat meat normally.

My tiny reef

In your experience, how long does it take them to grow from tiny babies into recognizable RFAs? Right now my water params are really clean/a little low on calcium and dosing to get that up. But I have a small bioload and water change 10-20%/ week. So "hoping all things in their favor" how quickly will they grow/I know they've pass the "danger zone".

Probably w/ a magnifying glass you can already see they're recognizable. Several mos to become an inch is what I heard. I think once you're 1/4-1/3" you're probably gold.

Archived