SaltCritters.com

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jball1125

VIP says in order to have good success with babies you should put them in a dedicated tank or spot where they are easy to find and feed them daily, preferably multiple times a day.

FlowerMama

I just need mine to get to a stage where they're big enough to move. The ones I had before were so tiny, I move them to even a dif spot on the sand and they didn't make it. Maybe it's just my first ones were not strong enough. I'll get there one day.

I tried once a day and got cyano fast.

I can't afford an algae scrubber to take up nutrients and skimmer use has to be limited.

FlowerMama

Awesome! Just found out this one was a male! Here we go ladies! And I relocated the 8 nems that were in the 34 to the 60 as the cyano is slowly getting better. It'll probably grow tonight fast though as the nems are still latching so the power heads are off.

007_zpswzcvlb0g.jpg

thecoralbeauty

Maybe this is a stupid question, or previously answered in this thread and I skimmed over it (in which case, I'm really sorry for being THAT person), but how you tell if they are male or female?

eitallent

Maybe this is a stupid question, or previously answered in this thread and I skimmed over it (in which case, I'm really sorry for being THAT person), but how you tell if they are male or female?

As far as I understand it, there is no way to tell by looking (sexual dimorphism). Only during a spawn can you tell male and females apart. Males spawn the smoke-like material and females the small pellet looking babies. Correct me if I'm wrong RFA keepers. :)

jball1125

As far as I understand it, there is no way to tell by looking (sexual dimorphism). Only during a spawn can you tell male and females apart. Males spawn the smoke-like material and females the small pellet looking babies. Correct me if I'm wrong RFA keepers. :)

exactly
jedimasterben

As far as I understand it, there is no way to tell by looking (sexual dimorphism). Only during a spawn can you tell male and females apart.

You have to take them to dinner first, though. ;)

FlowerMama

Yep. For this one I got the Barry White going and pranced in front of the tank naked. It was only a matter of time before he said I'M OUT!! From what I've seen once they're like 2" big, I start paying attn. I really need to take pics of the ones I know are male and female before I forget. Actually, once I realized it was a full moon on Mon and I'd done a water change on Mon, I decided to turn off the circ pumps at 11 seeing as the last time I had previous spawnings they were 11-12 EST.

Not a dumb question. I was hoping there was a way to find out then I could order them by gender but not so easy. Gotta wait til they spawn to know.

FlowerMama

Oh, cool thing the same night when I found the rainbow spawning. Can't believe I forgot to mention. The purplelavender nem w/ gold on the outside had lips so huge there were like a lip augmentation gone bad? Her lips were so puffy and ginormous that with the magnifying glass I looked at them....I could see tiny white things under the membrane crawling around. Babies!!! That's another reason why I did the next thing.

I spot fed each nem last night. Want to make sure they're strong for the next birthing. They were so happy. :wub: The red mithrax crab was so hungry too, I gave it a piece of mysis and way back when there was a tiny hitchhiker crab in my 34 that I moved... I found it too, and when I put a little mysis by the opening of it's home I discovered 2 days ago, he pulled that mysis in and I'm sure both ate with wild abandon.

Last 2 water changes just ignited the dino so I said the hell with it and fed my nems. It's all over the sand bed.

New thing I'm going to try.

No sand sifting or then replacing saltwater or waterchanges as it hasn't made a difference and has made it worse as the new water feeds the dino.

Daily use of Microbacter, as long as I remember.

Going to try lights off for 3 days then on for 2 and continue that way until....

At the end of the month I'm on a vaca and at that time I'll totally cover up all sides of the tank and top while I leave for 5 days.

As you recall I have a big window to the left and even when blinds are shut there's just enough brightness to keep the dino going.

001_zps000a7549.jpg

FlowerMama

No, we didn't. We're too far north to have felt that one. The Big Island is pretty geologically active, so small earthquakes are pretty common. It's uncommon to get really big ones, though they do happen from time to time.

I have a big video update sitting on YouTube right now, but I'm not sure how to post it from my phone. I'll post it when I get home. :)

So, this is how dark I've had it when I say I've turned off the lights. It's brightest now when the sun shines on this side of the basement. And this is ENOUGH FREAKIN' LIGHT to keep dinos going!!!!! So, doing the 3 days on, 2 off then at the end of the month will board up the tank completely. Damn bat crazy sh|T!!!!. You guys have never heard me swear this much til now. :furious::o:rant::scarry: and all I WANT to do if I can get rid of it is omgomgomg and :happydance: and have many flowers :flower: .

20150512_182757_zpsm7fij6l7.jpg

20150512_182806_zpsclaf2qaa.jpg

20150512_182825_zpstwrppsuv.jpg

20150512_182836_zpsxg1hk3xq.jpg

HarryPotter

I believe the "smoke-like material" is sperm, and the "small pellet looking babies" are eggs.

Do Anenomes have eggs? Invertebrates? I just got really confused.

Hey I'm a Chem guy, not Bio!

Mr. Microscope

Wow! Of all the flower nems you have, that one is my favorite. I'm really glad that one is spawning. Good luck. I hope you find a bunch of rainbow babies soon.

Nanofreak79

Sucks about your slags/Dino issues. Looks like your memes are pretty sweet as well as having an abundance of them. Lol. I use the blackout shade/drapes in all my rooms. They never open in fish tank rooms. I like things a little darker for my eyes, since they have sensitivity. Glad to be back checking out your tank!

FlowerMama

IMHO take out all the sand, crank up flow, and add at least one of these: http://www.amazon.com/SunSun-CUV-155-Light-Sterilizer-Clarifier/dp/B00F5NLZXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431478297&sr=8-1&keywords=sunsun+uv+sterilizer+55w

That's only if you've confirmed it is dinoflagellates. Have you sent a sample to anyone for proper identification?

No, I have not. How do I send it to someone? Wouldn't it die en route? If I had a microscope I'd check myself. I asked my vet but they said no.

Sucks about your slags/Dino issues. Looks like your memes are pretty sweet as well as having an abundance of them. Lol. I use the blackout shade/drapes in all my rooms. They never open in fish tank rooms. I like things a little darker for my eyes, since they have sensitivity. Glad to be back checking out your tank!

Glad to see you back and checking in, just not a pretty time right now but I'll get it back. Thankfully the nems are not phased by it, they don't act disturbed at all and when I see males spawnings it's usually 4 at a time. Hopefully I'll be able to sex more of them soon. But since it's in the basement I don't always see what goes on. :naughtydance:

opaquelace

I'd love to catch my nems spawning. As it is, I don't know which ones produced the babies I currently have. I can guess based on coloration but that's only a guess.

jedimasterben

No, I have not. How do I send it to someone? Wouldn't it die en route? If I had a microscope I'd check myself. I asked my vet but they said no.

Not unless it froze in transit, if it is dinos, they are not solely photoautotrophic, they are heterotrophic, so they do not need light to survive.

I have a scope here, but sending it to Pants or Mr. Microscope (if he is willing, of course!) is a better course of action. You can contact pants here, he is a biologist that studies dinoflagellates: http://www.algaeid.com/contact/

my coral reef shop said he licked dinos by 3 day black out no waterchange for a month or so and getting some nitrates present.

FlowerMama

my coral reef shop said he licked dinos by 3 day black out no waterchange for a month or so and getting some nitrates present.

Don't know why this has been so hard but I'll be sending a water sample out to Mr. Microscope who graciously said he's check to make sure Dino is what I have. I've not fed for 2 mos and I was siphoning out the dino and using Microbacter to help combat it. I'm tempted anyway to get rid of the sand and put in black, which would really make the nems pop. Everyone I talk to has a different method for removing their dino. I've done 5 days blackout but had a couple water changes in the month.

FlowerMama

So, here's the latest after I goofed yest morning. I put too much lyme in there yest morning and while I had the pH at 8.3, it rose to past 8.6 on the Salifert Scale; the water read navy blue pretty much and turquoise is 8.6 . So, milky cloudy water mess. So, the red star, touched it and it was hardening so I threw it in Gertie's tank. It was dark yet, Gertie greeted her and whacked her. Took her out and put her in Bare Bottom Baby and she started moving so she was either malnourished or the pH was really doing a number on her.

So, all but 2 rocks are still in the 60. For fear or the hike in pH I took them out and put them in the 34, carefully as not touch things around them. Now I have left the nems on the sand still. I don't know if I just brought dino into my 34 or not but I'd rather save the nems. So at this stage I have like 1/3 of the nems on the sand and I'll be removing them tomorrow. I was able w/ water changes to bring it back to like 8.4 but at this point I'm feeling there's no point in putting the other nems back in. Tomorrow or Tues I should be getting a replacement fixture for the Coral Compulsion par38 I bought from a local reefer. I'll put that over Gerts tank and remove the others from the sand into Gerts tank.

Then I can remove the sand, while keeping the tank dark and do water changes to hopefully get rid of the dino. It would be great if I could get the sand out and then remove the white film from the lyme- it's so white in there right now. It'll involve some cleaning for sure.

But here are pics of nems in my 34. It's a full house right now.

20150517_170119_zpsbntejoxv.jpg

20150517_170104_zpsujflhwjp.jpg

20150517_170013_zpstu9ihy1q.jpg

20150517_170003_zps0taahgkg.jpg

This last one, the periwinkle w/ gold around it ended up being a mama, it's the one I was talking about before. Her mouth/lips were so bubbly swollen one day that I took out a magnifying glass and I could see white things crawling around beneath the membrane.

i say thats a good call save the nems just in case theyre so gorgeous ill hate if anything happened i wish you luck and good vibes dont want anything bad to happen :unsure:

HarryPotter

Aww man I hope it turns out okay! I love RFAs, and am hoping to get one into my tank soon. Do you feed yours?

Archived