Cultivated Reef

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest issue of reef hobbyist has an article on breeding flower anenomes. I thought you might find it interesting. You can read it for free digitally. It doesn't look like the issue is on the website yet (I have the hardcopy) but it should be soon. http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/

Hope your doggy feels better soon!

The latest issue of reef hobbyist has an article on breeding flower anenomes. I thought you might find it interesting. You can read it for free digitally. It doesn't look like the issue is on the website yet (I have the hardcopy) but it should be soon. http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com/

Hope your doggy feels better soon!

Thank you Tamberav. I will.

Getting better I do believe. Siphoned 2 days ago, still continuing w/ Microbacter. I'm thinking I'll turn off the lights this weekend. I'm going to siphon again here in a moment before I go on-call tonight at 10. Feeling hopeful. I'm hoping I can call this DONE and GONE in 2 wks cuz there are no nutrients going in this tank and in 2 wks it'll be a month since I fed. All inverts snails, serpent, star, pin cushion and sea egg doing well.

20150410_183619_zpsevuxty7v.jpg

20150410_183630_zpsa1catxdj.jpg

Garden not so rockin'. My 3rd bout of Cyano since Sept. Have some Chemiclean coming tomorrow w/ 5 more nems. I gotta get this bacteria out of there once and for all. I'll add it when I come home tomorrow.

FUGLY!!!!

20150316_180737_zpsta4dq8ho.jpg

As a reminder of what I had before on 3/17. So actually, I'm very pleased.

Thanks everybody for your support. I really appreciate it.

I decide to just keep the lights on low like they've been instead of turning them off because eventually, it will need to be on permanently. I had whites 10% ramping to 30% for 5 hrs then going back down w/ blues at 100% all last week. I think I'll be bold and change the whites from 20% ramping to 40%. I know it said 2 wks of Microbacter at full dose which is 1 capful for 25 gallons so I've been putting 3 but last night I decided I'm gonna go down 1 capful. We'll see how goes, I don't want to overdo it and then have too many nutrients and then have to carbon/vodka dose. Since I siphoned yesterday I'll give it several days to see what's grown on the sand.

On a different note, here's the curlique anemone that I moved from my 34 to this tank a while back w/ this rock. It's gotten big, when it's spread open it's like a grapefruit, facing the back wall so you usually don't see it. I feed him nothing and he keeps surviving.

20150410_184012_zpsimpa41oo.jpg

I'm on what I hope is the back-end of a similar bloom. Took a while, but I think the end is in sight!. You'll have it beat in no time now. :D

I'm on what I hope is the back-end of a similar bloom. Took a while, but I think the end is in sight!. You'll have it beat in no time now. :D

i'm hoping for your too. I see the end coming, once I get there I'll be fine. I shouldn't run into the same situation again as my feeding schedule is changing so there won't be the available nutrients to help other bacterias live. And I think I'll only let the whites go to 50 and that's it.

My tiny reef

Hi! I just found this thread when I googled flower anemones, are you at the point you are selling them? I'm near Charlotte and would be interested if/when you are selling. Sorry you are battling with the tank right now, but the flowers are still beautiful!

Hi! I just found this thread when I googled flower anemones, are you at the point you are selling them? I'm near Charlotte and would be interested if/when you are selling. Sorry you are battling with the tank right now, but the flowers are still beautiful!

Nope, not selling yet. Still working on husbandry. I had 20 babies, then none survived, probably due to the infestation from Sept onward. SO......working on it!!!!!!

Does Nemo's Reef not carry any? I've been there a couple times and love the quality of their corals but alas, I saw no rfas. Just didn't know if they ever had any and maybe I've just missed them.

There's a place in Greenville/Spartanburg Ocean's Floor, they don't carry any either and there is a place past Winston Salem Triad Reef Critters but I saw that he had 3 very sad looking ones. So, no one, not even the 3 LFS here buy them. I'm sure it's because most want to buy something and frag it off. I'd love to be able to sell these so hopefully once this has dissipated the nems can do their BOOM CHICK A BOW WOW and get it on!!!!!

My tiny reef

I love Nemo's and have a friend who got one there a while back, but I haven't seen any there the past few times I've been in. Have you heard of/been to The Inland Reef here (if not you can find him on Facebook, he's a smaller shop but recently move to a new, larger store)? He had some recently, I'm going to go this week and see if he has any left. The options were red, green or zebra but I was hoping to find a gorgeous mix of colors like yours.

I love Nemo's and have a friend who got one there a while back, but I haven't seen any there the past few times I've been in. Have you heard of/been to The Inland Reef here (if not you can find him on Facebook, he's a smaller shop but recently move to a new, larger store)? He had some recently, I'm going to go this week and see if he has any left. The options were red, green or zebra but I was hoping to find a gorgeous mix of colors like yours.

Thanks, I've bought 95% of them from VIP Reef. Jball1125 certainly knows where they're located!!!. One day, I have a dream to go down and pick one from the ocean, just for me. That would make my day. If I can do this it could be hopefully a good market for buying nems that are only raised in captivity. Some people like to do that. I just want to see some grow to a cm. If I can do that I'll know I got this.

There's a new store in Huntersville called Upscale Aquatics that gets a nice variety of stuff in. I've seen rock flowers there before but not the last time I visited.

There's a new store in Huntersville called Upscale Aquatics that gets a nice variety of stuff in. I've seen rock flowers there before but not the last time I visited.

Ok, just looked it up for distance, over 2 hrs.

My tiny reef

Went to Nemos today and they had one hiding in the maxi mini tank so I picked it up! Not an ultra or anything but still pretty and a start of hopefully a nice collection down the road. Still, let me know of you ever start making babies and are ready to sell! What kind if price range are you thinking?

Went to Nemos today and they had one hiding in the maxi mini tank so I picked it up! Not an ultra or anything but still pretty and a start of hopefully a nice collection down the road. Still, let me know of you ever start making babies and are ready to sell! What kind if price range are you thinking?

They started making babies back in November amidst my tank issues and didn't make it. So I'm hopeful they'll be back to it shortly. It could be they only spawn at certain parts of the year. Still haven't discovered what a typical year is like yet as Nov was the first time.

Don't know yet on the pricing but I'll probably keep it local or meet someone halfway somewhere if it's Charlotte or similar distance. It depends on the colors and patterning. But the plus is no shipping. But the other plus is having babies that were never plucked from the ocean.

I am watching you for how yours breed.. One thing that fascinated me about your thread.

Oh a small neon goby followed me home. I am wondering how long it will be before Paul spots it. >.>

Just to show they're still happy. I haven't done a sand sifting since last Fri. So it took 5 days to get to where I was last time where as previous it was a pic after 3 days so getting better. I am turning off the lights for Thurs & Fri as I can't do a sand sifting again til mid-day Saturday.

142_zpsfbbfwbrp.jpg

I am watching you for how yours breed.. One thing that fascinated me about your thread.

Oh a small neon goby followed me home. I am wondering how long it will be before Paul spots it. >.>

I'm so very much yearning for this cyanodino to be gone!!!

Archived