Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

All I know is the cyano I removed with Chemiclean but what was behind was then the brown dino and after battling for 2.5 w/ no lights, high pH, no feeding the tank, It was worse than before. Are you sure it's cyano or dino? Cyano usually stays but dino appears to leave when the lights are off and then reappears during the day and eventually progressing to having floating bulbs, like balloons. I've seen dino in green and brown.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SquishyFishy

None of that stuff...this is standard magenta colored slime with little bubbles, I can scrub it off with a soft brush or blow it off with my J Sprung instrument. It grows back overnight just about! I even scrubbed it off the stalks of my palys without any damage. I've had it before, it killed my cloves. But it went away all by itself that time.

I have ordered the ChemiClean and Red Slime killer should be here Wednesday. I don't think there are any Dinos. I have no sand just rubble.

SquishyFishy

Got both but Amazon notified me yesterday that the shipment was damaged by UPS...so I ran down to the nearest lfs and bought Red Slime remover...overnight...gone! Woohoo. People apparently dose their tanks once a month just to keep another infestation out. Even made a dent in the few patches of GHA I had..was able to suck em off with my baster.

Hi there Annette! Here's the images/videos from that sample you sent me.

Dinos%20low%20mag_zpslr68ksah.jpg

From low magnification, you can see all sorts of things swimming around in the water. I saw everything from diatoms, to phytoplankton, to the plague itself..the dreaded...

dun, dun, DUNNNN

dino%2002_zpshjvaukie.jpg

DINOFLAGELATES!

Watch this video in high definition and you can see their little flagellae propelling them around. These are really amazing creatures!

I believe it's a strain of ostreopsis.

dino%2001_zpsnwhdjvfb.jpg

dino%2003_zpso0goecjo.jpg

Here's some other fun pics from this sample.

I'm pretty sure this big pointy thing is a diatom.

diatom_zpsa7nbzlrf.jpg

Here's some phytoplankton:

phyto%2001_zpsonylusko.jpg

phyto%2002_zpsblbgw2rx.jpg

I believe this is another strain of phyto.

phyto%2003_zpsbfm33jrg.jpg

This was really neat. I filmed it moving around a little. You can see as it moves that it is a sphere. My focal plane started on top and I moved to the bottom:

THIS IS AWESOME!

I received my BRS replacement filter/resin kit and I'm trying to remove the first canister. This is the first change so it's not like I was the one who tightened it in the first place. No pressure in there, all good so don't know why its so hard to turn the F'ing wrench to the left. Hard to get a grip on the awkward feeling unit anyway. It's not like my right hand can hold it as solidly as I'd like to turn it. ARGH!!!

Mr. Microscope

I received my BRS replacement filter/resin kit and I'm trying to remove the first canister. This is the first change so it's not like I was the one who tightened it in the first place. No pressure in there, all good so don't know why its so hard to turn the F'ing wrench to the left. Hard to get a grip on the awkward feeling unit anyway. It's not like my right hand can hold it as solidly as I'd like to turn it. ARGH!!!

Yeah, those are a pain to open. I think I have to hold mine with my legs/knees and eventually loosen it with the wrench thingy.

Though, it does need to be fairly tight in order not to leak. Good luck!

Thinking of heating the outside w/ the blow dryer to loosen it up. Not to mention in their instructions their wrench seems to go up to about 2" from the top, mine is like 3" so that's going to make it more difficult. Yeah, like my right arm is over and around trying to hug it in sorts.

I absolutely HATE trying to get those canisters open. There is just no way to get a good grip on it to hold it steady while you turn the wrench. This is why I got rid of my BRS reactors because I just couldn't do that once every 2 weeks to change out media. I can handle it like one a year for RODI filters I guess, haha. I swear I always look ridiculous trying to use my feet like a monkey to hold it still. Unfortunately, I have no advice for you but to keep trying and eventually you'll get it loosened.

I think I have to have my neighbor come over so he can hold while I turn or something. That's the only thought I have right now.

Well, I can't unscrew the first two but I got the 3rd one, most important. I know TDS of 1 isn't a big deal but now it's reading zero again. This is the first time I've had to change in 2 yrs and you can see the 1st 2 canisters are looking really well. The resin in the 3rd one wasn't even totally dirty in the middle section to end but after having dino I want to make sure I"m good.

20150627_111750_zpspdmbdais.jpg

Alright, so finally today I cleaned the display tank. Have to wait to see how money is towards the end of 2 wks before I can see if I can get some substrate and bacteria starter. I don't want to use sand as the sand I have is white and this tank will not be white. Any suggestions for bacteria starter? I will put in a couple small rocks from the 34 fuge and Gertie's tank so I'll have some bacteria but I don't know if it'll be enough. I'm also putting in the dried out fuge rock from this tank back in.

Yeah, I need to. Gertie has beaten up 2 rock flowers in her tank. Who woulda thought? They're in her way I guess so I turned the rock upwards so the flowers are higher. Not like she can't climb anywhere.

Then the baby orange one is still alive on a rock in the 34 so that's good news. When I moved the other 3 tiny ones to the breeder w/ gravel, they died shortly after. My motto will be leave them where they are, don't touch 'em.

I'll worry about the fuge later but right now I need to get it cycling.

I'll have to look that up. Thanks. They'll be plenty of bacteria once I add the rocks w/ the rocks flowers on them but can't do that until it's cycled. Then I don't know if I should just add 2 rocks a week until they're all in there again or what? I've never had to do this so I'm unsure of upsetting balance in anything at the start.

Alright, so finally today I cleaned the display tank. Have to wait to see how money is towards the end of 2 wks before I can see if I can get some substrate and bacteria starter. I don't want to use sand as the sand I have is white and this tank will not be white. Any suggestions for bacteria starter? I will put in a couple small rocks from the 34 fuge and Gertie's tank so I'll have some bacteria but I don't know if it'll be enough. I'm also putting in the dried out fuge rock from this tank back in.

Yay....looking forward to seeing it running again :).

I've had good results with Dr. Tim's one and only. Look up Weiss Organics Bacter Boost. See if that is something you'd be interested in. I have an unopened bottle with no expiration date on it. I'll send it to you for free if you want it! I won't be using it.

It sounds wonderful from the description. If you're sure you don't need it? I don't know how long stuff lasts but if it hasn't been opened.... I'm out of Microbacter from before.

I have to admit, this is the first time I've had a major issue, and with dino defeating me I feel downtrodden. :( Been really hard to get a move on. But Gertie started beating up another today. I seriously have no room to move them anywhere. I have to do a water change on her tank next. Motivated or not I have to keep on to save the flowers from Gert! I soaked both powerheads last night and the cup of the skimmer. And on top of that I put the skimmer cup in the dishwasher to sanitize.

I still have to clean the sump. But I'm going to first focus on getting the display started.

It sounds wonderful from the description. If you're sure you don't need it? I don't know how long stuff lasts but if it hasn't been opened.... I'm out of Microbacter from before.

I know it's not a year old so it should work great! Next time I go to the post office I'll take it with me :).

Thank you. You're so generous Gena. First the toadstool. Now this. One day I'll pay you back in a unique way.

I stepped out to Lowes. Got one of these- 5.5".

20150629_211231_zpswqjzgg3n.jpg

I'm gonna take a different approach. Gonna have to get an extension cord dragged over from the other side of the room but the fuge rock is going above as it trapped too much detritus below and the fuge middle section will have chaeto and/or caulerpa. I'll get a cheapo timer and have it on opposite the tank.

Guess I need a fan too which probably would've maybe prevented some rusting on the screws inside the cabinet. Aside from a fan and having the side door open, anything else prevent the screws from rusting? I worry one day....

HarryPotter

Hey Gena- question.

Do your RFAs close up at night or stay open? Mine staysopen 24/7, but I'm not sure if that's normal or if the 3% moonlight is excessive.

(My BTAs close at night, so that is why in confused)

Some of mine close, some stay open.

I had one of these bulbs from my 34g fuge but the caulerpa doesn't seem to have changed there. I guess better that it not go sexual or be too bright that it melts. I'll see how it works w/ chaeto when I'm ready. Thoughts?

20150630_182804_zpsstj7uej4.jpg

jedimasterben

Not strong enough. Get a 23w+ cool white CFL. It's really, really difficult to overnight most macroalgaes, including caulerpas.

Archived