ReefCleaners.org

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

On 5/3/2018 at 3:48 PM, Kellie in CA said:

Where is the preferred place to buy these days?  Seemed like it used to be VIP, but it doesn't look like they have them anymore. 

The Got Corals ones look nice. 

I just got 2 from @SaltCritters

I was very impressed with their customer service and my nems are beautiful 😍

• Like 3
Got Corals
On 5/4/2018 at 6:32 PM, HarryPotter said:

jhCSwrJ.jpg

Wow, I remember when you got these.. Quite a few years ago, at least 2...

Glad to see them thriving.. You and @metrokat were one of our first customers...

Sandy

• Like 2
HarryPotter
46 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Your RFA island is one of my favorites!

Thanks!! They have done so well since I started feeding them :) 

• Like 1
HarryPotter
23 minutes ago, Got Corals said:

Glad to see them thriving.. You and @metrokat were one of our first customers...

Sandy

Definitly before my current tank!

They’ve done really well. There are little RFA babies all over the island, but they don’t appear to grow into adults. I tried to spot feed them roids with no success

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Definitly before my current tank!

They’ve done really well. There are little RFA babies all over the island, but they don’t appear to grow into adults. I tried to spot feed them roids with no success

I bet reef roids would work - but you have to feed them every day. 

With mine, I’ve spot fed them daily for a couple of months and tend to them to make sure they stay in the light...otherwise they just disappear. They are a lot of work.  Now most of them are large enough that they can go a few days without spot feeding. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Thanks!! They have done so well since I started feeding them :) 

What do you feed them and how often?

For the baby rock nems, I find target feeding them with mysis or even LPS pellets work.  When they are less then the black pepper size, they might not be able to take in the pellets but the bigger ones can do that and 1 pellet can last a few days to a week.  They grow quite fast if fed regularly like daily

On 5/4/2018 at 4:57 PM, ClutchKargo said:

I've been looking through this thread for a couple of days now and have seen so many amazing RHA's it's unbelievable. However I'm still uncertain what is considered the most rare color and or color combinations.

I know a lot is personal preference but with the wealth of knowledge here and everyones experience what are the rarest colors and color combinations seen and desired. Also does the pattern make a difference as well like striping, multiple colors, tentacle colors?

I see Gold tentacles being mentioned as rare which are pretty but don't pop as much as some of the other colors. 

Thanks! 

Seems like ones with multiple colors are prized more, ie, the tenteacles are one color or two and then the disc has mutliple colors.  I was at my lfs, and they had about 200 to choose from but only one of them had gold tentacles so I chose that one cause it was unique even though the disc has dark green with a slight ring of purple (but doesnt pop).  Here are a couple close ups of it with my cell phone.

20180501_212746.jpg

20180501_090035.jpg

• Like 4
HarryPotter

RFAs are super cheap here in florida, since a lot of the sellers dive for them locally. Recently I went to a local store and they had hundreds in a shallow tank for $20 each, a total mix that had multicolored ones too.

• Wow 1
On 5/4/2018 at 7:06 PM, Got Corals said:

Glad to see them thriving.. You and @metrokat were one of our first customers...

Sandy

Mine came from you to Sandy. :-) Well, I know Ramiro took the money but you do all the work.

LOL

Got Corals
On 5/6/2018 at 2:44 PM, ngvu1 said:

Mine came from you to Sandy. 🙂 Well, I know Ramiro took the money but you do all the work.

LOL

Finally someone that recognizes my struggles- LOL!!

I hope you are well. :):)

Sandy

• Haha 2
ClutchKargo
On 5/6/2018 at 11:15 AM, jet915 said:

Seems like ones with multiple colors are prized more, ie, the tenteacles are one color or two and then the disc has mutliple colors.  I was at my lfs, and they had about 200 to choose from but only one of them had gold tentacles so I chose that one cause it was unique even though the disc has dark green with a slight ring of purple (but doesnt pop).  Here are a couple close ups of it with my cell phone.

20180501_212746.jpg

20180501_090035.jpg

Thanks jet915! What you're saying here seems to be exactly what I'm finding out. I was only introduced to RFA's through an online vendor a few months ago and can't believe I'd never seen them until then, and now they are a favorite. I found this great thread and everyone here is so helpful as I read through. So I try to scan through a few pages as I have time to see and learn more. I plan on ordering from Sandy very soon now that I've found her here in this thread. I have a few RFA's already but I'm going to move them into a biocube and try to breed them now that I know this can be done. Thanks to all for contributing to this thread (one of the few and best I've found) and you jet915 for getting back to me. I'll post some pics once I get things settled.

1 hour ago, ClutchKargo said:

Thanks jet915! What you're saying here seems to be exactly what I'm finding out. I was only introduced to RFA's through an online vendor a few months ago and can't believe I'd never seen them until then, and now they are a favorite. I found this great thread and everyone here is so helpful as I read through. So I try to scan through a few pages as I have time to see and learn more. I plan on ordering from Sandy very soon now that I've found her here in this thread. I have a few RFA's already but I'm going to move them into a biocube and try to breed them now that I know this can be done. Thanks to all for contributing to this thread (one of the few and best I've found) and you jet915 for getting back to me. I'll post some pics once I get things settled.

Yeah, im the same, i just started getting my 1st RFA about 3 months ago, now I have 13!  Im running out of space!

• Haha 1

I actually found a baby a few days ago but havent seen it in the last day so im not sure if its hiding under the skirt or not.  Not sure where it came from, one of my rfas was acting strange the last week or if it just tagged along one i got....

20180503_161511.jpg

• Like 2

I have seen the babies for a month or 2 now and I spot feed the ones I can.  They are doing good so far.  I won't claim victory until they are bigger than a dime.  So far the green one is the biggest but it is only 1/2 inch in diameter.  I keep finding new ones here and there and some actually moves around.  I have not lost any yet

26 minutes ago, jet915 said:

I actually found a baby a few days ago but havent seen it in the last day so im not sure if its hiding under the skirt or not.  Not sure where it came from, one of my rfas was acting strange the last week or if it just tagged along one i got....

20180503_161511.jpg

My other big one behind the rocks looks like this one 🙂

@BulkRate @HiImSean and me got a bunch of new nems today from @Got Corals! Love how they shipped them in these containers! So easy to float them and get them out. No messy bags     and rubber bands flying with Got Corals! Nicely done. 

Will post pics of the RFAs soon. 

41127779085_f4df765ce4_b.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

@BulkRate @HiImSean and me got a bunch of new nems today from @Got Corals! Love how they shipped them in these containers! So easy to float them and get them out. No messy bags     and rubber bands flying with Got Corals! Nicely done. 

Will post pics of the RFAs soon. 

41127779085_f4df765ce4_b.jpg

Awesome, cant wait to see them.