Coral Vue Hydros

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

Harrisonbored
2 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

How are they for stinging coral (or getting stung by..)  I have a 24G aquapod as a mixed reef.  No softies in it, just LPS and SPS.  Want to get some rock flowers or maxi mini's but I don't want them stinging and killing my coral.  Anyone know of corals that DONT do well with them?

I had a RFA that settled right next to a Ponape Birdsnest and neither seemed to care.

Wish I could find that pic but here's another instead with softies.

RFA.thumb.jpg.c07d44b16d86e32300c2a5f3fde23198.jpg

The blue cloves and zoas grew right up to its edge

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Harrisonbored said:

I had a RFA that settled right next to a Ponape Birdsnest and neither seemed to care.

Back a couple of pages (page 90 I think) I posted a pic of one of mine spooning with some palys! 

15 hours ago, Harrisonbored said:

Great picture! How do you feel about your blue cloves?  I know they can be very invasive, but they are so beautiful... have you had any problems with them growing over your other corals?

Harrisonbored
12 minutes ago, banasophia said:

have you had any problems with them growing over your other corals?

Quite the opposite in fact (though I seem to be the exception)

They spread quickly and totally filled the tank in nicely BUT they would also recede for any other coral pushing against it.

Zoas, Montiporas, Mushrooms and Xenia all eventually spread over the cloves territory.

Unfortunately that tank eventually crashed and I lost that particular "strain" of the cloves...but I'm still on the lookout for it.

I have roughly 50 nems in my collection. Mostly from vip reef and got corals. All housed in a deep blue 30g frag tank. Underneath a cheap eBay led light.

Follow my tank on instagram @rockflowergarden

552369BB-1BC3-47F8-A5F2-B6DBEAE61ADD.jpeg

BBA9805F-F24A-458A-914C-41DFC49B524C.jpeg

DF06AC71-93B5-44C4-9AAA-D24385CC06BA.jpeg

EAB0F101-B2A3-4944-A716-AC74C4B25B8F.jpeg

69CB4838-ECE3-4226-88BA-3B1A71E6E468.jpeg

3F390723-07EB-4F1B-BC3D-92E41788A292.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, Noinoi24 said:

Bought 20 from @VIPReef last year and only 2 is surviving right now...

Did you have anything notable happen during that time (like cyano, dinos, alkalinity crashes, temperature issues, power outages, dosing mishaps, ammonia spikes, etc)?  Did you lose other livestock during this same time?  It could be a predator.  We're the deaths concentrated (like just after you got them), or spread out over time?

14 hours ago, seabass said:

Did you have anything notable happen during that time (like cyano, dinos, alkalinity crashes, temperature issues, power outages, dosing mishaps, ammonia spikes, etc)?  Did you lose other livestock during this same time?  It could be a predator.  We're the deaths concentrated (like just after you got them), or spread out over time?

No noticeable issues... all my tank occupants are fine... the RFA would next to another open their mouths and white stuffs comes out then dead... so disappointed...

Anyone here keeping RFAs using Red Sea Coral Pro salt?  I’m switching over and just want to be sure the higher ALK levels won’t be a problem for my RFAs.

I switched to Red Sea Pro salt 2 years ago with a Rock Anemone dominated tank with over 30 and it was the best thing I could have done but do it at 10% a week as your water change and everything will be fine.

thumbnail22.thumb.jpg.3a860bd8bdba054600831b9678a02c1f.jpg 

• Like 3

And after about 2 months of 10% a week water changes with Red Sea Pro I did one big water change of 50% Red Sea Pro

I only wish I did the switch to Red Sea Pro sooner everything looked healthier after I did

• Like 1
Kellie in CA

I went to Red Sea Pro after years of LFS salt water.  The difference was crazy!  It actually turned out to be easier too, since the salt mixes so fast.

• Like 1
Kellie in CA

Hmmm.... ok.  I got one last week from AquaSD and their pictures are usually pretty close to the real thing, at least with the other corals I've ordered.  In the picture it's red, purple, and aqua. The only color showing in my tank is orangey-red.   The spectrum on my Nanobox Duo is heavily blue most of the day , with more of a daylight hue for a few hours midday.  In both color spectrums...….. just red. 

My tiny reef

It's been a while since I've been on, glad to see so many beautiful RFAs are still being appreciated? Here's my current stock. I have another spawning in progress, yay!  My last two have only yeilded a survival of one baby RFA each time, but they are BEAUTIFUL babies and growing strong.  Currently a few babies are already out (about 2-3 weeks ago) and I've been feeding every other day, a couple have started to show green and red coloring so I'm hoping for a good outcome and will continue feeding. You can see in the last picture that one female is still brooding babies and I hope they stay in there until they are BIG! 

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

Hmmm.... ok.  I got one last week from AquaSD and their pictures are usually pretty close to the real thing, at least with the other corals I've ordered.  In the picture it's red, purple, and aqua. The only color showing in my tank is orangey-red.   The spectrum on my Nanobox Duo is heavily blue most of the day , with more of a daylight hue for a few hours midday.  In both color spectrums...….. just red. 

I've gotten RFA's at stores and when I get them in my tank under my lighting the color can be way different from how it looked at the store but if it had 3 different colors in the picture it should of still had 3 colors under your lighting even if the colors aren't the same as the picture on the website they probably sent you the wrong RFA     

• Like 1
On 6/27/2018 at 4:32 AM, seabass said:

Switch it over gradually and it should be fine.

Thank you, @seabass, will do. 🙂

19 hours ago, ReefFish said:

I switched to Red Sea Pro salt 2 years ago with a Rock Anemone dominated tank with over 30 and it was the best thing I could have done but do it at 10% a week as your water change and everything will be fine.

thumbnail22.thumb.jpg.3a860bd8bdba054600831b9678a02c1f.jpg 

Wow, @ReefFish, gorgeous!!! Definitely proof these beauties can thrive with Red Sea Coral Pro. And thanks for the specific tips on how to switch gradually. 

19 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

I went to Red Sea Pro after years of LFS salt water.  The difference was crazy!  It actually turned out to be easier too, since the salt mixes so fast.

Thanks @Kellie in CA, and I agree it’s so nice how quickly and easily it mixes up!!! So far mixing with distilled from my local grocery store and I’m liking it. 

19 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

Love RSP. 

Edit:

Blue bucket. It gives me more control over KH level as I add what’s needed myself. 

Thanks, @A Little Blue, I considered that option... hoping I’ll get good results with the coral pro to keep it simple and minimize the need for adjusting things myself, but this may be a good option to consider if need be.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On 6/24/2018 at 11:36 AM, alexversa said:

I have roughly 50 nems in my collection. Mostly from vip reef and got corals. All housed in a deep blue 30g frag tank. Underneath a cheap eBay led light.

Follow my tank on instagram @rockflowergarden

552369BB-1BC3-47F8-A5F2-B6DBEAE61ADD.jpeg

BBA9805F-F24A-458A-914C-41DFC49B524C.jpeg

DF06AC71-93B5-44C4-9AAA-D24385CC06BA.jpeg

EAB0F101-B2A3-4944-A716-AC74C4B25B8F.jpeg

69CB4838-ECE3-4226-88BA-3B1A71E6E468.jpeg

3F390723-07EB-4F1B-BC3D-92E41788A292.jpeg

OMG! I wish i could like this 100000 times. I only have 3 they are by far my favorite marine animal so far. I will have a bunch eventually. Awesome pics :smilie:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mindstormer said:

Anyone know how rare these weird morphs are?

I've never seen one in person.  Do you mind my asking what you paid for it?

mindstormer
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

I've never seen one in person.  Do you mind my asking what you paid for it?

It's a weird situation since the owner of the store knows me really well, he let me bag it myself and didn't even bother to check what it looked like under blues. He charged me 40 bucks for it which was a steal.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1