Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

FlowerMama

And her name is now Miracle. But I had to quote a cartoon classic!! Here's another thing. I started my love of rock flowers with a white nem I bought for $8 from Saltcritters- it was my first one.

• Like 2

At least you have babies! I don't know how well I'm gonna do either at selling once I can get them going. It's gonna be like puppies.

<queue the Jedi mind-trick susurrus>

You are going to give them away to like-minded individuals (i.e. fellow rock flower anemone addicts that YOU helped create) ... preferably on a geographical basis.

I've got a cooler, an air bubbler pump with a 24-hour battery pack, and a full tank of gas. ;)

Keep us updated on the rescued nem!

FlowerMama

<queue the Jedi mind-trick susurrus>

You are going to give them away to like-minded individuals (i.e. fellow rock flower anemone addicts that YOU helped create) ... preferably on a geographical basis.

I've got a cooler, an air bubbler pump with a 24-hour battery pack, and a full tank of gas. ;)

Keep us updated on the rescued nem!

Sure, blame it on me. I'm not a hateful person but I sure am jelly of everyone's babies. But this one last night I love the most. Update on Miracle. I think she's going to be fine. That's just wild. 5-6 days 64 degrees and lights only 2 days before I realized I could turn them off as I forgot.

010_zps2ihtjffb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, this can't be a rock flower. Miracle Mojano??? Tentacle aren't right.

20150527_071941_zpsgkvwxbu8.jpg

Give it some time (a week or two) & spot feeding... when one of mine starved itself nearly to death the tentacles looked a lot like that when it started to grow them back.

FlowerMama

Give it some time (a week or two) & spot feeding... when one of mine starved itself nearly to death the tentacles looked a lot like that when it started to grow them back.

Well, I'll be gone 6 days starting tomorrow but I'll try to spot feed it tonight.

HarryPotter

My first RFA! Little green dude from the LFS for $12.99! I know its not particularly rare, but I really like it. Its cute, and SUPER STICKY!

IMG_0752_zpss3sxja6h.jpg

• Like 3

And her name is now Miracle. But I had to quote a cartoon classic!! Here's another thing. I started my love of rock flowers with a white nem I bought for $8 from Saltcritters- it was my first one.

I bought a white one from SaltCritters too!!! It's big and puffy and beautiful. LOVE it.

HarryPotter

I bought a white one from SaltCritters too!!! It's big and puffy and beautiful. LOVE it.

I dont understand why the red ones are like $40 but the white or green ones <$15! Aren't they the same difficulty to propagate?

Aren't they the same difficulty to propagate?

True. But it's just supply and demand. Most of the supply is collected from the wild. Common varieties (even if you and I think they are attractive) often don't always command higher asking prices. The thing to do is buy what you like, for a price that you are willing to pay. I like the green ones too (much better than the orangeish ones that sometimes pass for red).

• Like 1

I dont understand why the red ones are like $40 but the white or green ones <$15! Aren't they the same difficulty to propagate?

Ssshhhhhh, if they know we will pay it they will start charging it!

Actually price is based more on demand than supply in this hobby, i.e. red is more popular so they cost more.

Sea bass, I was replying same time as you, not disagreeing

My first RFA! Little green dude from the LFS for $12.99! I know its not particularly rare, but I really like it. Its cute, and SUPER STICKY!

IMG_0752_zpss3sxja6h.jpg

Pretty!! Green I my favorite color, so I'm looking for one of these!

Anyone know of an online vendor with a decent variety of rfas? I'm looking to be able to purchase 3-4 of varying colors, to hopefully get free or cheap shipping.

Too bad VIP doesn't have that starter pack of 4 for $200 any more... :(

To get the biggest variety all at once, your best bet would be to wait on VIP to replensih their stocks. Otherwise consider these vendors:

Forum-Sponsors:

Salt Critters has a few inexpensive ones. I've gotten one from them that is doing well.

Pieces of the Ocean has a some red tentacled ones.

Reef Gardener has a white zebra currently.

Pacific East Aquaculture has red ones and white ones. Not WYSIWYG.

Non-Forum Sponsors:

KP Aquatics does have a variety, non-WYSIWYG though. But also very inexpensive. They have one orange one in their WYSIWYG section though. Not a forum sponsor, but I know a number of people have ordered things from them. I got my live rock from them.

AquaSD has a few on their site. They post new items on a thread of R2R weekly (they are doing so tonight). I've gotten two RFA from them. One is doing fantastic, the other is so-so.

Live Aquaria/Diver's Den is an option too.

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Pretty!! Green I my favorite color, so I'm looking for one of these!

Anyone know of an online vendor with a decent variety of rfas? I'm looking to be able to purchase 3-4 of varying colors, to hopefully get free or cheap shipping.

Too bad VIP doesn't have that starter pack of 4 for $200 any more... :(

Lol are you in South Miami? I live like 15 minutes from VIP reef and they have the best RFAs around!

To get the biggest variety all at once, your best bet would be to wait on VIP to replensih their stocks. Otherwise consider these vendors:

VIPs stock is full... What are you talking about? They have like 100 assorted RFAs!

Lol are you in South Miami? I live like 15 minutes from VIP reef and they have the best RFAs around!

VIPs stock is full... What are you talking about? They have like 100 assorted RFAs!

They don't have any on their website for those of us not in driving distance...

• Like 1
HarryPotter

They don't have any on their website for those of us not in driving distance...

Whoops sorry I didn't know what you meant. I might be heading over there this week, so will take a bunch of photos for you if you want. I currently have to cheap RFAs ($9 green) that I really like, but am looking to get some crazy ones if they're not too expensive

Nope, near Chicago. I keep checking VIP Reef's online shop and they have nothing listed... :(

HarryPotter

Nope, near Chicago. I keep checking VIP Reef's online shop and they have nothing listed... :(

Aww man bummer.. Next time I go I will ask him to post a bunch, and I'll take a bunch of pictures for you.

• Like 1

VIP should have plenty. My LFS just got 100 or more last couple weeks from VIP. I got 3 really nice ones for 90 bucks! Try contacting them by email if they dont have them on website.

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic