ReefCleaners.org

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

HarryPotter

VIP should have plenty. My LFS just got 100 or more last couple weeks from VIP. I got 3 really nice ones for 90 bucks! Try contacting them by email if they dont have them on website.

Yeah I've never seen VIP with less than 100!

VIP should have plenty. My LFS just got 100 or more last couple weeks from VIP. I got 3 really nice ones for 90 bucks! Try contacting them by email if they dont have them on website.

Post pics of those 3 that you just purchased when you get a chance. Show them off :-)

FlowerMama

Hey guys. I'm gonna be the bearer of bad news. I just saw Frank at VIP Reef on Sun. Reefapalooza and then the flatworms really did wipe him out. He had some 2 toned ones, I still bought 4 as I couldn't help it, I'm like a kid in a candy shop. Sorry to say bleaching is already happening in the collection area so he only has 1 tank of them and has left about 20 or so, no ultras. So appreciate what you all have, and try to grow your babies. Season is basically over. :wacko: But, for all you ric lovers, he told me that season is now beginning. What an awesome shop he has. Loved visiting. He had things I never saw but online so to me that's thrilling, like feather stars! And a pretty yellow mantis shrimp bigger than my Gertie. My local shops don't even stock basic things, 2 of the 3 don't even have snails. I never even knew what a stocked freezer looked like til I saw his.

• Like 2

Hey guys. I'm gonna be the bearer of bad news. I just saw Frank at VIP Reef on Sun. Reefapalooza and then the flatworms really did wipe him out. He had some 2 toned ones, I still bought 4 as I couldn't help it, I'm like a kid in a candy shop. Sorry to say bleaching is already happening in the collection area so he only has 1 tank of them and has left about 20 or so, no ultras. So appreciate what you all have, and try to grow your babies. Season is basically over. :wacko: But, for all you ric lovers, he told me that season is now beginning. What an awesome shop he has. Loved visiting. He had things I never saw but online so to me that's thrilling, like feather stars! And a pretty yellow mantis shrimp bigger than my Gertie. My local shops don't even stock basic things, 2 of the 3 don't even have snails. I never even knew what a stocked freezer looked like til I saw his.

Did you get a two-toned? Oh and what is causing the bleaching?
jamescstein

:( Drat, I'm headed to Miami in late July and was planning on visiting them. Doubt they'll have any flowers left at all by then.

FlowerMama

Did you get a two-toned? Oh and what is causing the bleaching?

The sun simply. Yeah, got a red/green and then a green w/ a star white stripe. I really like the yellow greens. I got 4 but they're in my 20g and the light is poor so I'm not even showing them at this point.

:( Drat, I'm headed to Miami in late July and was planning on visiting them. Doubt they'll have any flowers left at all by then.

Still go visit. I planned a visit before the flatworm issue happened. Shop is awesome and Frank is so friendly. I wish I had a shop owner out here I could trust here- great knowledge of everything in his shop.

Here's one of the cool things he had. A feather star. I saw it Fri, was gone when I came in on Sun, then I picked up my corals Tues and he had another. Popular item.

20150602_124127_zpsiphu0ajh.jpg

I also picked up a branching cyphastrea (unsure where I'm putting it yet as I can't put it in a perm place til the rock flowers are taken out of the 60) and what was called a Double D Paly (white stars)

20150604_200855_zpstljqlyzj.jpg

The bicolor frogspawn on the right. He had many gorgeous frogspawns

20150604_183815_zpsisgy4qwq.jpg

Also got a coral banded shrimp and a white pipe organ. Hasn't opened yet.

• Like 1
jamescstein

We had a feather star 15 years ago before we got out of saltwater. Those things are tough to keep alive, major filter feeders and they require pristine water.

• Like 1

Here's one of the cool things he had. A feather star. I saw it Fri, was gone when I came in on Sun, then I picked up my corals Tues and he had another. Popular item.

Did you get one?! Google image search tells me they are BEAUTIFUL!! :wub:

The feather star is practically impossible to keep alive long term. It's sad but true and I personally think that fish stores should not sell them because they are well aware that the feather star will die but I guess it's all about making a quick buck.

• Like 3
FlowerMama

No, did not buy one. Pretty but I'd be afraid it's too pretty I'd somehow kill it.

SO, all the nems of course were dispersed between the 34g and Gertie's 20g. Came back from vaca Wed and yest I found these. Color of the one on the white frag plug is actually yellow. I don't know about the one on the other monti. The one in the black gravel is tan and I found him about an inch above the gravel last night on the glass. So cute hangin' out. At least it's something.

20150605_210622_zpsesmop2ti.jpg

20150605_210753_zpsjy2gc9eu.jpg

This was the one on the glass.

20150605_210609_zpsnjgrkvz1.jpg

20150605_210957_zpsn63rwjyd.jpg

• Like 1
My tiny reef

My RFA has moved to my top rock, at night she lays open flat and settled on the rock but stands up like a sunflower when the lights are on. She periodically does this to get her tentacles ruffled by the powerhead, she's a diva. image_43.jpg

• Like 1
FlowerMama

My RFA has moved to my top rock, at night she lays open flat and settled on the rock but stands up like a sunflower when the lights are on. She periodically does this to get her tentacles ruffled by the powerhead, she's a diva. image_43.jpg

I find that the females close and open often. I always think of it as the moment when you stand up at work and stretch big time with your arms outstretched and then sit back down.

• Like 2

I find that the females close and open often.

Did I miss where it was discussed how to tell the difference between male and female rock flower anemones?

• Like 1

Anybody ever bought from kaboom corals on eBay? Good feedback and the pics look good but idk if I trust it.

Or does anyone know of a good vendor that has some nice rock nems right now? I can't seem to find any

• 2 weeks later...

Oh hellllllll yeah!!

Except I've already got 3 in my tank, 2 on the way, and will likely pick up #6 from another member here soon...

I'm so tempted to buy two more though!

jamescstein

Hey rock anemones are back at VIP!! Yay :haha:

Hopefully they'll still have some in a few weeks when I am in Miami. Though I don't really need anymore. All my expensive ones have withered away and the cheap ones are constantly on the move.

Edit: Hit post in mid thought....

I have one that can't decide if it likes where my clove garden is or if it doesn't. Keeps moving in and out of the center of the cloves. Cloves are not loving it.

It's Friday and Payday. Screw it...

18989199150_0ca1d0d0ca.jpg

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!! I really like the purple on the red. It's a really pretty set. I know when I went down there the first week of June he said probably only a couple more dives for the year due to bleaching. Then need to give them time to regenerate!!.

Well, I'm in! I've been following this thread and it's finally got me to order my first three Epicystis crucifer from SaltCritters. I just did the $14.99 common ones added on to the zoa deal they got going now. I'm excited!

I will post up some pics when I have them in the tank.

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic