SaltCritters.com

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

Well, I'm in! I've been following this thread and it's finally got me to order my first three Epicystis crucifer from SaltCritters. I just did the $14.99 common ones added on to the zoa deal they got going now. I'm excited!

I will post up some pics when I have them in the tank.

That's where I got my first one from. It was white but pretty nonetheless.

• Like 1

Hi all! I'm hoping you guys can help me with your RFA expertise. I have had this red/green RFA for about a month and a half. Two days ago, I dropped a sinularia on it briefly. Now it is losing its tentacles! they are floating away. yesterday this started and today, even more are gone. The RFA seems to still be eating fine and the others in my tank are fine. Here are the water parameters:

Temp: 78

Ammonia, nitrite: 0

Nitrate 4.5

Phos: .02

Salinity: 1.025

Mag: 1150

Calcium: 400

Alk: 9.0

Ph: 8.0

I have no idea what the heck to do.

m4DLKyA.jpg

Oh and no crabs or predators in the tank.

Hi all! I'm hoping you guys can help me with your RFA expertise. I have had this red/green RFA for about a month and a half. Two days ago, I dropped a sinularia on it briefly. Now it is losing its tentacles! they are floating away. yesterday this started and today, even more are gone. The RFA seems to still be eating fine and the others in my tank are fine. Here are the water parameters:

Temp: 78

Ammonia, nitrite: 0

Nitrate 4.5

Phos: .02

Salinity: 1.025

Mag: 1150

Calcium: 400

Alk: 9.0

Ph: 8.0

I have no idea what the heck to do.

m4DLKyA.jpg

Oh and no crabs or predators in the tank.

How big is it normally?

How big is it normally?

It's about 2". The disk is about 1.5. So now with one side missing tentacles, it's smaller. But the disc seems fine and all.

• Like 1

It's about 2". The disk is about 1.5. So now with one side missing tentacles, it's smaller. But the disc seems fine and all.

If your parameters are stable, I'm not sure what you can do for it. Sounds like it's a relatively healthy size. I lost two small ones (smaller than a quarter) and I'm convinced it was hard to keep them happy because of their tiny size.

I think it's also been talked about on here before NOT to feed every day but maybe only a couple times a week.

You may just have to wait it out and see. :(

• Like 1

If your parameters are stable, I'm not sure what you can do for it. Sounds like it's a relatively healthy size. I lost two small ones (smaller than a quarter) and I'm convinced it was hard to keep them happy because of their tiny size.

I think it's also been talked about on here before NOT to feed every day but maybe only a couple times a week.

You may just have to wait it out and see. :(

Good advice. I probably am over-feeding. About every-other day. I hope its tentacles come back!

FlowerMama

Yeah, don't feed but twice a week. I feed once a week & they're all happy. Seriously, I didn't feed mine for 2 mos and they looked no different but feeding too much can kill it because it can remain undigested and rot in it's gut. My one nem lost almost all the tentacles from stinging. It came back so they should grow back. :)

• Like 2

Yeah, don't feed but twice a week. I feed once a week & they're all happy. Seriously, I didn't feed mine for 2 mos and they looked no different but feeding too much can kill it because it can remain undigested and rot in it's gut. My one nem lost almost all the tentacles from stinging. It came back so they should grow back. :)

Thank you Flower and kimber!

I knew the Flower Queen would have some good advice!

• Like 1

Well I got my first RFA's from Saltcritters. They are very nice! I placed them where I thought they would like it and they promptly moved, all three of them! One in particular crawled right into a mushroom rock that i have. It's about a 4" round disk covered in shrooms and it is sitting right in the middle. Neither the shrooms or the nem seems to be affected by it. Anyone have an RFA living among mushrooms?

I'll break out the fancy camera and get some pics today for posting.

I want more RFA's for sure...

• Like 1

Well I got my first RFA's from Saltcritters. They are very nice! I placed them where I thought they would like it and they promptly moved, all three of them! One in particular crawled right into a mushroom rock that i have. It's about a 4" round disk covered in shrooms and it is sitting right in the middle. Neither the shrooms or the nem seems to be affected by it. Anyone have an RFA living among mushrooms?

I'll break out the fancy camera and get some pics today for posting.

I want more RFA's for sure...

I got three from salt critters - a white, a green and a red. They are the most healthy ones I have!! One moves around a LOT! I'll have to post a photo as the white guy is now sitting at the top of the tank attached to the glass!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Well, I'm in! I've been following this thread and it's finally got me to order my first three Epicystis crucifer from SaltCritters. I just did the $14.99 common ones added on to the zoa deal they got going now. I'm excited!

I will post up some pics when I have them in the tank.

Hmm I'm debating doing the same thing! But what the heck is an enchinata?

Hmm I'm debating doing the same thing! But what the heck is an enchinata?

Huh? You awake yet Harry? An echinata is a type of Acanthastrea. Why do you ask?

Actually, here's the photo of "Whitey" attached up at the top of the tank!

Pretty! Whitey indeed!

Maybe it's trying to get away from those aiptasia... :ninja:

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Huh? You awake yet Harry? An echinata is a type of Acanthastrea. Why do you ask?

Yeppppp awake and making coffee.

Okay- cool. Asked since enchinatas are cheap on SaltCritters

• Like 1

Yeppppp awake and making coffee.

Okay- cool. Asked since enchinatas are cheap on SaltCritters

I'm on cup number 2! Been up since 0330...

Oh, I see. Definately pick up some RFA's along with the acans. The three I got are all very nice.

My lights come on in 5 1/2 hours, I will get some shots and post them later today.

HarryPotter

I'm on cup number 2! Been up since 0330...

Oh, I see. Definately pick up some RFA's along with the acans. The three I got are all very nice.

My lights come on in 5 1/2 hours, I will get some shots and post them later today.

Sweet! I'm thinking the zoa pack, an enchinata (I'm curious), and maybe some nice $40 euphyllia

• Like 1

Sweet! I'm thinking the zoa pack, an enchinata (I'm curious), and maybe some nice $40 euphyllia

I got a zoa pack too. I'll post up some pics of them as well.

One thing to note--I could not find any pests on the frags I got. I dipped them in CoralRx and there was nothing that I could find that came off them after the soak. Pretty sure they must dip them at the factory.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I got a zoa pack too. I'll post up some pics of them as well.

One thing to note--I could not find any pests on the frags I got. I dipped them in CoralRx and there was nothing that I could find that came off them after the soak. Pretty sure they must dip them at the factory.

Good to know! I'll dip anyway since I'm OCD like that, but it's nice to know SC has sterile frags :)

This will be my first Zoa purchase as well!

• Like 1

Good to know! I'll dip anyway since I'm OCD like that, but it's nice to know SC has sterile frags :)

This will be my first Zoa purchase as well!

Yeah, me too. The older I get the more phobic I become.

The zoas I got are doing well. It got a nice variety of colors. There are at least 50 polyps total. More than 10 on each plug and each plug has different colors. So, that is like less than a dollar per polyp shipped! I've been wanting to order from them for a while and I am glad I did.

Actually, here's the photo of "Whitey" attached up at the top of the tank!

I had one RFA that loved to go onto the glass and moon me all the time.

Whitey looks bleached FYI, so won't stay whitey forever. I suspect that s/he will get some darker brown stripping on the disk and will be a zebra. The tentacle looks like they may get flourescent green.

• Like 1

Pretty! Whitey indeed!

Maybe it's trying to get away from those aiptasia... :ninja:

HA! probably! this is my husband's "monster" tank (6 gal fluval). No corals, just monsters like crabs, aiptasia and some RFAS :)

Whitey looks bleached FYI, so won't stay whitey forever. I suspect that s/he will get some darker brown stripping on the disk and will be a zebra. The tentacle looks like they may get flourescent green.

From what I have read there are almost pure white variants of RFA's that stay that way and are quite healthy. I wonder if others have any direct experience with healthy all white RFA's?

• Like 1

Interesting! I didn't think of it being bleached as it came that way and the mouth is fluorescent yellow! How do I "unbleach" Whitey?

From what I have read there are almost pure white variants of RFA's that stay that way and are quite healthy. I wonder if others have any direct experience with healthy all white RFA's?

Whitey is huge - about 5". And is striped, but alternating bright white and more translucent/off white. Same with its tentacles. He's got good coloring on his foot, so I figured he was healthy.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic