inTank Media Baskets

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

Not as colorful but still a beaut

I love the white ones at any time but they look extra special when the rock is covered w/ purple coraline.

I have one looks alot like that one jj. I think its awesome even if it isn't colorful. I see you are in Tacoma. I live in Renton. Are they any good saltwater stores in Tacoma? Here's my latest purchase from Barrier Reef. You can see all three in this pic I noticed. lol

post-87343-0-41617500-1430354951_thumb.jpg

I have one looks alot like that one jj. I think its awesome even if it isn't colorful. I see you are in Tacoma. I live in Renton. Are they any good saltwater stores in Tacoma? Here's my latest purchase from Barrier Reef. You can see all three in this pic I noticed. lol

I got mine at Petco on 6th Ave. I went to Barrier Reef this last weekend for the first time, they had some awesome rock flowers but a bit pricey . FYI they are having a 30% discount sale this weekend.

I will be going to Barrier Reef Sat. I couldnt get appointment for Friday. I picked up this nem today at Sierra for $20. I thought it was good buy.

post-87343-0-94106700-1430450195_thumb.jpg

jjwukasch

I will be going to Barrier Reef Sat. I couldnt get appointment for Friday. I picked up this nem today at Sierra for $20. I thought it was good buy.

Where is Sierra? Do they have more?

yikes from VIP Reef. all those beautiful RFA dead!!

Be warned:

Over two weeks ago we treated our holding systems with Salifert Flatworm exit and it caused an almost total wipeout of our rock flower anemones and Florida ricordea. After several water changes and carbon media replacement we have got the situation under control. The minute we noticed our nems dying we started transfering them to other systems that were not treated and some of them came back, but a large majority did not make it.

This along with the sales of Reefapalooza and many other orders have left us totally wiped out of nems. We will hopefully start collecting again in the next few weeks, weather permitting.

All the other corals in these two (500 Gallons each) holding systems were totally unafected as expected after treatment. Salifert flatworm exit continues to be our choice of medication for eradicating theses pests, but it is not recommended for RFA's or Florida ricordea.

We will make an announcement once we have collected enough to satisfy the demand for these beauties.

Thanks for your support,

VIP Reef

FlowerMama

jball1125 went over yesterday and they stated they now felt what did it was that the flatworms released toxins when they died.

They think what killed the nems was the toxins that the flatworms release when they die. They can't be sure yet but they don't think it was the actual medicine that wiped them out.

• Like 1
jamescstein

Still devastating. I'm going to be in Miami in late July. Hopefully they'll have a good stock by then was looking forward to visiting.

• Like 1

Gah! I JUST prompted our club's board to invite them to our annual frag swap the other week... that's horrible news!

I wonder if doing a 100% water change should be a must for flatworm treatment aftermath.

Speaker73

jball1125 went over yesterday and they stated they now felt what did it was that the flatworms released toxins when they died.

They think what killed the nems was the toxins that the flatworms release when they die. They can't be sure yet but they don't think it was the actual medicine that wiped them out.

I think this is probably the case. I have used flatworm exit multiple times with my RFAs and they haven't batted an eye. Of course after each treatment the FW that survived continued to reproduce and then I had a population of super resistant uglies. Finally got them under control with a yellow cori wrasse.

• Like 1

Did you hit them up yesterday? I might head out there today. Is the sale still going on?

Where is Sierra? Do they have more?

I think it is in Renton.

I'm in same boat as Cindyp. My fav RFA has a "melted" side and she has inflated that edge. She was near a lobo but nothing else. My frogspawn has been shedding tips so I am not sure if it was one of those 2 or something else. She was one of the few things I have that survived when my tank crashed over a year ago so I know she's a hardy nem hence why I am concerned about this injury. Can a coral attack cause that type of injury? Could she have snagged on of the Frogspawns shedded tips and that sting her that bad? The particular lobo she resides near has never attacked anything else. Just really worried about her. My absolutely most favorite thing in my tank atm. Any ideas on how to help her? All params stable and good and she is fed weekly.

• Like 1

I'm in same boat as Cindyp. My fav RFA has a "melted" side and she has inflated that edge. She was near a lobo but nothing else. My frogspawn has been shedding tips so I am not sure if it was one of those 2 or something else. She was one of the few things I have that survived when my tank crashed over a year ago so I know she's a hardy nem hence why I am concerned about this injury. Can a coral attack cause that type of injury? Could she have snagged on of the Frogspawns shedded tips and that sting her that bad? The particular lobo she resides near has never attacked anything else. Just really worried about her. My absolutely most favorite thing in my tank atm. Any ideas on how to help her? All params stable and good and she is fed weekly.

i'm sorry to hear that. if it's any consolation,

my ultra nem who has lost some skirt on one side

is doing fine now. she had it folded in to protect it for

some time, but now is open fully and also eating.

so i wish you luck. she was also near a lobo on that

side, and i wonder if that's what happened. though when

she began exhibiting signs, i had already moved the lobo.

Sierra is in Renton on Grady Way. This one was the only one they had. I saw it there weeks ago and the lady that worked there told me it was 40$ or so. I asked the owner and he sold it to me for 20. lol It pays to go to the top lol

• Like 1
FlowerMama

That's what I'm thinking, you'd have to do many water changes or let them die naturally so a little toxin here n' there won't be overwhelming. Wouldn't they die off if there was nothing to eat?

Slowtwitch

The nem that I have been waiting for for over 6 weeks finally came out of it's hole at my LFS. Brought her home last night. Such a beauty. Pics to come later if I can get the color looking right. Such an intense color. Hunter orange face with powder blue skirt. Can't wait to show her off.

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks pinned this topic