Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

no. it was on the corner of rock in

corner of the tank. the only other thing

on that rock was a RFA? it used to share

the rock with the lobo, and maybe it got

too close to the lobo and i just didn't notice

it was injured? that might be a possibility?

very strange. it opens now fully. can't help

but be concerned--it's my prettiest and

most expensive RFA!

Night time is the right time for RFA appreciation.

These are not great pictures (my son has my T4i for school). I used my cell phone.

I just got these RFAs six days ago for my Caribbean tank.

20150422_002449-XL.jpg

20150422_002622-XL.jpg

20150422_002821-XL.jpg

This one lives in MyAtlantis rock wall. It has been in the tank for a little over two years. It has grown from about three inches to four inches. It loves to eat everything.

20150422_003316-XL.jpg

20150422_004226-XL.jpg

• Like 4

Here's my two new rock nems. My camera sucks for pictures. lol They look better in person. Red one hasnt opened up fully yet. Pinkish one moved over few inches from where I placed it.

They Pink one was free! lol guy at LFS didnt like it.

post-87343-0-39462900-1429748218_thumb.jpg

post-87343-0-75965300-1429748238_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here's my two new rock nems. My camera sucks for pictures. lol They look better in person. Red one hasnt opened up fully yet. Pinkish one moved over few inches from where I placed it.

They Pink one was free! lol guy at LFS didnt like it.

You'll get better. Of course I found out my phone takes better pics, more real w/ color so I stick w/ that anymore.

• Like 1

I know this worst pic ever but today when looking at tank I saw what I thought was random zoa on my rock. After looking closer I realized it was a baby rock flower nem. I decided to look a bit around my flower nems in the sand and I was able to find two more that were size of like a baby zoa. Prob more under the nems or blowing around somewhere. Just thought was cool to find.

6766B18F-C8D2-4F70-87C0-E2AE0B85FDDD_zps

• Like 1

No, they don't bother the anemones at all.

20150410_1016242.jpg

waaaat. you have two crabs? I have two crabs. they must be the same sex. they litterally tear each other apart.

waaaat. you have two crabs? I have two crabs. they must be the same sex. they litterally tear each other apart.

There is actually 4 porcelain crabs in this set up. 2 of them are best buddies and the other 2 hang out alone. I also have 6 sexy shrimp and they all are good buddies.

20150417_0919272.jpg

• Like 6

Timber-

How many anemones you have in your setup? What size tank is it? Size sump? I am asking because thinking of upgrading the size of my rock anemone tank - with the babies maturing I have about 50 total from quarter size on up, and more coming up the ranks. I am worried about over crowding. I currently house them in a 45 gal frag tank setup with lots of other corals

• Like 1

What is it with Rockflowers and butt displays?

My rockflower is not the most spectacular nem, but she is pretty in her own right. However she moved from where she had been sitting, with her lovely face displayed to the world, and now she sits with her ass against the glass, mooning merrily away. I have seen a number of pics of rockflowers mooning their keepers. I have to say a rockflowers rumpus is indeed pretty, but I'd rather see her face.

• Like 4

I can't wait to get more rock nems!! lol Seems all I do is surf net looking for them. Most are too expensive for me to take chance on buying online. Never dealt with online dealers. Other than the one nem I bought online from local LFS I went to pickup at store. lol

I dont have the patients to wait for delivery lol

Timber-

How many anemones you have in your setup? What size tank is it? Size sump? I am asking because thinking of upgrading the size of my rock anemone tank - with the babies maturing I have about 50 total from quarter size on up, and more coming up the ranks. I am worried about over crowding. I currently house them in a 45 gal frag tank setup with lots of other corals

Dang, and why haven't we seen pics of these 50??? Hellooooo!!!!

No, they don't bother the anemones at all.

20150410_1016242.jpg

I can't believe the length of the tentacles on that one. They appear extra long!!!

Today I decided to scrape my glass and while doing so I found this little guy in sand hanging out in shell. Found another common spawned in captivity flower nem. Local guy says its common for flower nems to spawn in captivity. When I hear that I think that common is more like bubble tips splitting.Color on this one a cool orange.

EA13868F-80BD-4AD7-8B9F-B8D899156FD1_zps

• Like 3

I can't believe the length of the tentacles on that one. They appear extra long!!!

That one is the beauty that was born in my tank. Do you remember this pic?

:wub: :wub: :wub:

20150324_13070822.jpg

Timber-

This is a 14 gallon all in one set up with no skimmer and no sump. There is about 40 beauties in this little set up. I also have another 60 in a different breeding set up that's 40 gallon. This breeding set up is also without a sump and skimmer. I would say that if you breed them and grow them successfully then you have st up a systems just for these beauties and their babies.

Today I decided to scrape my glass and while doing so I found this little guy in sand hanging out in shell. Found another common spawned in captivity flower nem. Local guy says its common for flower nems to spawn in captivity. When I hear that I think that common is more like bubble tips splitting.Color on this one a cool orange.

EA13868F-80BD-4AD7-8B9F-B8D899156FD1_zps

That's pretty cool. I think that little baby might turn into a rainbow anemone when it gets bigger. It shows pretty nice colors already.

• Like 2

Is there any way to get them to move to a different rock? Mine attached to a rock but I want to remove that one and have the flower nem go to a different one in my tank.

Maybe one day if I need to my 34 will have to be the holding tank for babies once they're big enough to be moved. Of course, first I need babies!!! Problem is, I love my 34 gallon the way it is. And I cannot afford a 5th saltwater tank.

Is there any way to get them to move to a different rock? Mine attached to a rock but I want to remove that one and have the flower nem go to a different one in my tank.

Using a dull knife you pry an edge and at one point it gives. Be very careful. OR, turn the rock on its side and on top of the other rock, so it wiggles down.

Yeah timberc it has some other colors in it can't see in pic. I hope it stays in that shell till gets bigger so doesn't get lost :(

What you can do is bury that shell in the sand but make sure that the baby anemone is still exposed. I have done that a number of times and it had worked every time.

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic