SaltCritters.com

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

I don't think yours looks like it's dying. I have had one die and it alternated between looking okay to looking really shriveled and "deathlike" for a couple weeks. It never seemed healthy after I brought it home. If yours has been healthy for months then it's probably fine and just trying to expell waste. Keep an eye on it to see how it does. Mine went under a cave to die, I had to take all the rocks out to try to get out as much as I could but it had already started melting away. So if it starts moving really watch it. Good luck, they are pretty!

Hmm okay that's reassuring hahah. This nem hasn't moved since I brought it home. I'm sorry about yours though, but at least the experience is helping others :)

Dark stuff is poop. I would get mysis shrimp, not table shrimp. Mine would spit out table shrimp, so that meant they didn't like it. Mine also love LRS Fish Frenzy which is all sorts of frozen foods, fish, shrimp, squid, clams, etc all in one pouch.

Also make sure it's tiny pieces you are feeding. You should see them contort in funny ways when cyclopeeze comes their way.

I do feed mysis alternatingly with table shrimp since I've read somewhere they accept most meaty foods but now that I think about it, I think everytime I've fed with table shrimp, that nem starts excreting.. The red one never has though but I guess I should stop feeding table shrimp then despite its acceptance.

The fish frenzy sounds good though, I'll pick some up later. In the meantime, should I be fishing out the waste?

Hmm okay that's reassuring hahah. This nem hasn't moved since I brought it home. I'm sorry about yours though, but at least the experience is helping others :)

I do feed mysis alternatingly with table shrimp since I've read somewhere they accept most meaty foods but now that I think about it, I think everytime I've fed with table shrimp, that nem starts excreting.. The red one never has though but I guess I should stop feeding table shrimp then despite its acceptance.

The fish frenzy sounds good though, I'll pick some up later. In the meantime, should I be fishing out the waste?

Yeah, I just feel if it was that dirty then it can't be clean or good. I usually see tan or light brown to other foods. I'd fish it out if you can. Mine also did not like silversides which is good, puts an ugly oiliness on the water and I don't want to deal w/ tiny bones.

• Like 1

Yeah, I just feel if it was that dirty then it can't be clean or good. I usually see tan or light brown to other foods. I'd fish it out if you can. Mine also did not like silversides which is good, puts an ugly oiliness on the water and I don't want to deal w/ tiny bones.

Alright, I'll go get on that right now :P And yeah I was debating trying silversides but that's enough to convince me not to haha. Thanks so much!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

When I tried to feed mine I used tilapia once, Mysis another time, brine, etc. would never take it! It looks pretty happy anyway though, so whatever I guess :)

Don't manually remove the brown stringy things. This applies to most animals we keep.

Just think if you were in the middle of a BM and someone took some salad tongs and gave your feces a good yank.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Don't manually remove the brown stringy things. This applies to most animals we keep.

Just think if you were in the middle of a BM and someone took some salad tongs and gave your feces a good yank.

My god. My clownfish was pulling the brown string from my Trachyphyllia coral earlier and I thought it was cool.

Now I am clenching my buttocks. That's a lot ass****!!

If it's free floating & detached around the tank, yes, but yes, correct, I wouldn't pull it out of the mouth/anus of the nem.

• Like 1

Woooops that's what I did the first time... Ehehe

Tonight it was free floating though and I think the nem looks a little better. Lesson learned :P I'll try to update in the morning. Thanks everyone!

Yeah, it's probably due to the size of food and frequency of feeding. Like suggested, less food, smaller pieces, less frequent. With good lighting, they can survive on just pieces of occasional stray food and fish poo. However, I like to supplement this by target feeding each one, with whatever I'm feeding my fish, maybe once a week.

Yeah, it's probably due to the size of food and frequency of feeding. Like suggested, less food, smaller pieces, less frequent. With good lighting, they can survive on just pieces of occasional stray food and fish poo. However, I like to supplement this by target feeding each one, with whatever I'm feeding my fish, maybe once a week.

I've been trying to follow those suggestions after reading something similar when researching the nems but my tank's lack of fish and inablity to provide indirect nutrients had me worried. I also didn't want my porcelain crab to starve either since he's constantly fanning for particles that I'm not sure exist in the tank :S But yeah, I'll definitely cut down on feeding. Thanks for the advice !

getmealemon

Hi all, thought it was about time i posted pictures of my RFA's. Don't get as exciting colours here in the UK but still on the lookout. First three pics are ones i've had for over a year, not noticed any spawning yet. The last three pics are ones i have bought very recently and i'm not entirely sure they are RFA's as they don't have the long tentacles on the skirt, what do you think?

Sorry the pics are a bit rubbish, camera phone isn't the best.

photo%2063_zpszxnbyrkd.jpg

photo%2021_zps1klpyqcc.jpg

photo%2051_zpsjcbyhao2.jpg

RFA?

photo%2011_zpsstmyp4ey.jpg

RFA?

photo_zpswagdd785.jpg

Top one RFA?

photo%2041_zpsighoiw77.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
jamescstein

Visit to VIP reefs in Miami was good. Neat place. Unfortunately my imagination caused me to be a little let down by reality. Make no mistake, nice place, great staff, great product. I had just built it up in my head to a point that I was doomed to be disappointed.

That said I picked up 2 new RFA's. They had one I wanted to buy that he said they were keeping for themselves :(

Prepare yourself for my lousy cellphone pics.

17ED8C5D-EBF9-4B59-85B6-EE96F01E34C7.jpg

BF4BC00B-3286-4964-BFC3-013627B65DCC.jpg

• Like 3
jamescstein

What did the one they were keeping for themselves look like?

None of the pictures I took of it came out but it was multicolored. I think it had 5 or 6 different colors in it along with multi colored tentacles. I looked similar in variety to the left one in your signature though not that same color scheme.

• 3 weeks later...

Hm, who might the father or mother be????? Gertie's Tank. Found it yesterday. 3/16-4/16". The biggest I've ever had. Maybe it'll live now.

20150818_223745_zps9iu85lz6.jpg

20150818_223802_zpsqu5h2bo9.jpg

• Like 5

Hm, who might the father or mother be????? Gertie's Tank. Found it yesterday. 3/16-4/16". The biggest I've ever had. Maybe it'll live now.

20150818_223745_zps9iu85lz6.jpg

20150818_223802_zpsqu5h2bo9.jpg

Oops - this is one of the parents, don't know why the pic didn't come out.

20150817_220741_zps8tezk71g.jpg

It should.

Hoping!! It's brown/tan and I don't care. I love it. I love them all. Helps keep it looking more natural when you only have crazy colors everywhere.

• Christopher Marks pinned this topic