Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Arce's Tank

Arce

14 hours ago, Arce said:

Wooo finally under contract! Thats one less thing to worry about... Now on to getting our mortgage. :rolleyes:

Congrats!

• Like 1

All the house stuff is moving along, we had our inspections and what not. Now just finalizing our mortgage stuff.

In tank news. I started nopox to help lower the phos and nitrates. I have to do some testing to see how effective its been but things look like they are responding. Of course since I'm carbon dosing the dinos have returned. So far its only strands on my one gorg so hopefully it doesn't blow up. The acans are still floating around in the container, no signs of attaching yet. Im trying not to touch/move them but its hard since they actually push others off the rocks when they inflate and move around. Ill keep them until they die, would love to see if they redevelop a skeleton or attach to rock.

• Like 3

Dinos started coming back full force so i shut my doser off. I have a water change scheduled for tonight so ill test to see where my params are at. Hopefully it put a dent in the trates and phos so i dont need to keep the nopox going. Im hoping the dinos will slowly die off after i stop the dosing.

Tested my nitrates and phosphates last night, no change. I've tried larger changes and its still not making a dent. The nopox is causing my dinos to explode and they are back in full force. I want to stop dosing but right now I figure lets get the trates and phos under control then find another way to deal with the dinos. With the upcoming move i guess ill see what happens.

26 minutes ago, Arce said:

Tested my nitrates and phosphates last night, no change. I've tried larger changes and its still not making a dent. The nopox is causing my dinos to explode and they are back in full force. I want to stop dosing but right now I figure lets get the trates and phos under control then find another way to deal with the dinos. With the upcoming move i guess ill see what happens.

sorry to hear that dinos are just the worst....IME what helped to reduce their numbers was a 5-7 day blackout while adding MB7 and Zeobak/coralsnow to add diversity and out compete them for available nutrients. I continued to do the blackout at least once a month. It greatly reduced their numbers and kept them for overrunning my tank.

• Like 1

The tank is doing ok. The dinos are still around but not getting worse so I turned the nopox dosing back on. The acans are still in the container, its so interesting to watch them but i wish there was a chance of them developing another skeleton or attaching to the rock.

In house news, 30 days until we close! Hoping to have or mortgage commitment from the bank this week, then its smooth sailing till the closing date. I started packing and going through my stuff to get a head start. I think i have more fish stuff than clothes and other junk combined... Moving the tank will be a pain, im not sure how im going to do that. It may have to stay at my parents house until i can install some outlets in the basement. Luckily its only like 30 gallons max so i can bucket the majority of it and just load it into my car. 

• Like 7

So many horror stories about tank moves.  Maybe a good time to reboot?

House and future are the key things, good luck with the move, congrats on the new place!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, markalot said:

So many horror stories about tank moves.  Maybe a good time to reboot?

House and future are the key things, good luck with the move, congrats on the new place!

Thanks!

Luckily i have no sps or anything that will complicate the tank move. The only sensitive thing i have aside from my fish is my clam but the thing is a tank so I'm not worried. I would love to ditch my rock and go fresh but i have to see how things pan out. The tank has been looking better, the dinos are actually not as bad as before when i first started the nopox so I'm assuming it was just an initial bloom from the carbon before the bacteria were able to explode. During the move i am definitely going to vinegar clean all my equipment and inspect it for anything that could leach, then I'm going to do a 100% water change with new water at the new house just in case i had something in my old water. I don't want to jump so i figure small steps before i do a complete reboot.

23 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Ugh, moving tanks is the worst. Make a plan/timeline - it helps A LOT! 

Yep im going to probably start the move a couple days beforehand and get everything prepped to go.

• Like 3

Save clean buckets or containers and put rock in 1, coral in another and fish in another with a battery back up pump.  That what I did when I transferred tanks both times.  My son has torn down tanks and moved them 6 hours away doing that.  When you set the system back up add biospira and watch for a mini cycle that can usually be dealt with by doing WCs.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Arce said:

Yep im going to probably start the move a couple days beforehand and get everything prepped to go.

I made myself a time line and diagrams for how I wanted to move things. I had 3 5-gallon buckets and I created levels of eggcrate to transport larger corals and corals on frag plugs. I also had more fragile or sting happy corals in bags floating in those buckets, making sure to only fill 1/2 way or less to avoid spillage. I moved my two tanks 8 miles in one afternoon, though I did have new tanks set up at the new place ready to go. I also made sure to have plenty of new, clean saltwater on hand. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Save clean buckets or containers and put rock in 1, coral in another and fish in another with a battery back up pump.  That what I did when I transferred tanks both times.  My son has torn down tanks and moved them 6 hours away doing that.  When you set the system back up add biospira and watch for a mini cycle that can usually be dealt with by doing WCs.

5 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I made myself a time line and diagrams for how I wanted to move things. I had 3 5-gallon buckets and I created levels of eggcrate to transport larger corals and corals on frag plugs. I also had more fragile or sting happy corals in bags floating in those buckets, making sure to only fill 1/2 way or less to avoid spillage. I moved my two tanks 8 miles in one afternoon, though I did have new tanks set up at the new place ready to go. I also made sure to have plenty of new, clean saltwater on hand. 

Yep thats pretty much the plan. I have a spare 20g tank ill set up at my house and bring it all over in buckets, dump it in the 20 bring up to temp and then put together the main tank and just switch everything over. Hoping to do it all in one shot. Not having any corals really makes the move a lot easier.

The only thing that will give me an issue is i have to check if there's outlets in my basement where i want the tank, if not i need to install some on a new breaker. Not a big deal, but will delay the move by a day or two.

• Like 2

I'm tempted to throw some cheap sps in to see what happens. I've had a red digi frag in the tank for awhile and its been fine. When I started the nopox it reacted with change in PE but I'm sure it was isolated due to the change in nutrients. I'm trying to find some birds, slimer or some monti cap just to test the waters but cant find anything for a reasonable price in case things take a dump. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Dangit, and there were cheap birds in CT :(

Maybe Kat can give you the frag I gave her for safe-keeping!

I thought about it after you guys went. No i wouldnt want to risk your frag! Theres no knowing what may happen.

Just now, Arce said:

I thought about it after you guys went. No i wouldnt want to risk your frag! Theres no knowing what may happen.

I don't trust my tank either; that's why it's in hers :P

That's the nice thing about keeping monticaps, I always have half a dozen little frags that I keep around to just to monitor water quality or to see how a change in the tank is going.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

That's the nice thing about keeping monticaps, I always have half a dozen little frags that I keep around to just to monitor water quality or to see how a change in the tank is going.

Yea im trying to find a local whos got some caps they want to get rid of.

• Like 1