SaltCritters.com

Arce's Tank

Arce

Nano sapiens

Always nice to see a move went well :)

However, lot's of mechanical issues (fans, doser...) is no bueno.  Fingers crossed that's the end of it!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The tanks a mess. The couple sps i had slowly crapped out on me. I have a monti cap with one foot out the door. I ran into nutrient issues due to neglect. Now im trying to get it all back on track but im having trouble. With my sporadic care for the tank i may just move to lps because im tired of looking at a bare tank.

2 hours ago, Arce said:

The tanks a mess. The couple sps i had slowly crapped out on me. I have a monti cap with one foot out the door. I ran into nutrient issues due to neglect. Now im trying to get it all back on track but im having trouble. With my sporadic care for the tank i may just move to lps because im tired of looking at a bare tank.

Sorry to hear man...whats causing the issues?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rehype said:

Sorry to hear man...whats causing the issues?

Laziness mostly. Skipped some water changes so nutrients went up, tried to do some deep cleaning so it set things off, just the constant ups and downs screwed things up im assuming. Just need to get a routine and get things back on track.

25 minutes ago, Arce said:

Laziness mostly. Skipped some water changes so nutrients went up, tried to do some deep cleaning so it set things off, just the constant ups and downs screwed things up im assuming. Just need to get a routine and get things back on track.

What are you using for nutrient export?

27 minutes ago, Rehype said:

What are you using for nutrient export?

skimmer, cheato, weekly changes and i clean my filter sock every 2-3 days. That's my routine now, before i was basically ignoring the tank, then would have a spurt where i deep cleaned it and wiped out nutrients and threw things off.

I have a 20 long sump that ive been saving and im considering putting it on this tank in place of the 10 gallon. It wont fit under the stand so id have to build a platform to put it on behind the tank. Just not sure if its worth it. Extra volume would help but its not like its that much of a difference.

Are you using an automatic doser to at least keep alk stable?.. It would make your life alot easier. Thats all im using at the moment and I do water changes every 2-3 weeks.

38 minutes ago, Rehype said:

Are you using an automatic doser to at least keep alk stable?.. It would make your life alot easier. Thats all im using at the moment and I do water changes every 2-3 weeks.

I dont have anything to really need to maintain alk. Just my clam. It keeps stables between changes

32 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Sounds like your routine will work great if you can stick with it! Were you able to get the doser working again?

I sent the doser back to seaside aquatics and they fixed it luckily.

• Like 1

I know you are an SPS guy but if the tank is a constant frustration maybe you should go LPS and softies for awhile.  Tanks become a chore when things aren't thriving, and lets face it, there are already enough chores in life.  There is no shame in moving to easier to maintain coral until you are ready for the commitment of what it takes to keep SPS.  You notice there are no SPS in my tank, ha ha!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

I know you are an SPS guy but if the tank is a constant frustration maybe you should go LPS and softies for awhile.  Tanks become a chore when things aren't thriving, and lets face it, there are already enough chores in life.  There is no shame in moving to easier to maintain coral until you are ready for the commitment of what it takes to keep SPS.  You notice there are no SPS in my tank, ha ha!

Yea thats what i may do, its really just sps that draw me to this hobby but to be able to have something in my tank to look at ill deal with some lps. 

Me and the fiance need opinions on honeymoon locations. We just started planning ours out, i wanted to hit Bali but now were just looking to see what other options are in the southwest pacific. Obviously i chose the destination for fish reasons but she hasn't caught on yet. Once she gets the itinerary with snorkeling/diving every day were there she will figure it out. Anyone been out there? Tahiti? Bora bora? Let me know your experiences and what area you liked best.

• Like 4

When I was a kid, I lived in Jakarta for a couple years. I took a snorkeling trip the the Thousand Islands, and the beautiful corals and fish there were what started my lifetime interest in marine reefs.

I have no idea if the resort facilities are up to honeymoon quality, and my trip was forty years ago, so a lot might have changed. But it's something that's a little less well-known that might be worth researching.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, teenyreef said:

When I was a kid, I lived in Jakarta for a couple years. I took a snorkeling trip the the Thousand Islands, and the beautiful corals and fish there were what started my lifetime interest in marine reefs.

I have no idea if the resort facilities are up to honeymoon quality, and my trip was forty years ago, so a lot might have changed. But it's something that's a little less well-known that might be worth researching.

Ill look it up thanks

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Arce said:

Was that the name of the resort?

Yea. I believe it was 13 private huts on the island. The snorkeling right around the island was amazing and the scuba diving was incredible. 

• Like 1

Think we decided on a week in somewhere like fiji/tahiti/bora bora and then doing another week in Australia. Hopefully it all fits in budget because id love to hit the great barrier reef.

Slow day at work so ive been browsing through a ton of threads. I think i want my next tank to be a peninsula, its just something about them i love. I really wanted to do a reefer 250 or 350 but well see what happens, not like its happening any time soon anyway. I could go the budget route and do a 40 breeder i guess. 

• Like 1

The tanks doing better now that i am giving it more attention. And yes that is sand, i added it a couple weeks ago. With an oversized skimmer and the water changes i was doing it was making the tank too clean, so i would try to add nutrients by over feeding or using things like acropower but then things would escalate too fast even with small doses and i ended up with a couple spikes. I added the sand to see if it would help maintain some level of "dirtiness" without constant dosing or additives and so far its working well and has balanced out everything. The monti i have had some stn but it seems to be coming around. I've been looking online for some lps or easy sps but so far haven't found much in the budget range. The house and life has taken priority otherwise id have this thing filled with coral.

35845924916_34917302a7.jpg

• Like 6

Thinking about hitting a different lfs this weekend, maybe ill find some cheap frags there. Also thinking about getting rid of that purple gorg i have and replacing it with a different one, its not doing very well, not sure why but had some issues with some branches receeding. I might try one of those purple ribbons from GCE. I also really want to try to find a smaller blue maxima clam. 

On 7/12/2017 at 0:02 PM, Arce said:

Think we decided on a week in somewhere like fiji/tahiti/bora bora and then doing another week in Australia. Hopefully it all fits in budget because id love to hit the great barrier reef.

Slow day at work so ive been browsing through a ton of threads. I think i want my next tank to be a peninsula, its just something about them i love. I really wanted to do a reefer 250 or 350 but well see what happens, not like its happening any time soon anyway. I could go the budget route and do a 40 breeder i guess. 

Definitely add the week if you can, we did 8 nights at Qamea but would have added another week if we had time (had a job offer right before the wedding and had to move across the country right after the honeymoon). Really regret not adding an extra week while being all the way over there.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, brad908 said:

Definitely add the week if you can, we did 8 nights at Qamea but would have added another week if we had time (had a job offer right before the wedding and had to move across the country right after the honeymoon). Really regret not adding an extra week while being all the way over there.

Yea we are definitely doing 2 weeks. Thinking right now a week in Fiji and a week in Australia. Hopefully it all fits in the budget but its a once in a lifetime thing so were up for whatever it comes out to be.

Nixperience
On 7/13/2017 at 11:01 AM, Arce said:

The tanks doing better now that i am giving it more attention. And yes that is sand, i added it a couple weeks ago. With an oversized skimmer and the water changes i was doing it was making the tank too clean, so i would try to add nutrients by over feeding or using things like acropower but then things would escalate too fast even with small doses and i ended up with a couple spikes. I added the sand to see if it would help maintain some level of "dirtiness" without constant dosing or additives and so far its working well and has balanced out everything. The monti i have had some stn but it seems to be coming around. I've been looking online for some lps or easy sps but so far haven't found much in the budget range. The house and life has taken priority otherwise id have this thing filled with coral.

35845924916_34917302a7.jpg

That is the best looking piece of rock I've ever seen!

• Like 1