Top Shelf Aquatics

Reef Confessions

Graver

I have folded cardboard under my stand. That's how we've leveled things since I was a kid.

This is how I leveled my bookshelf with my tank on it, lol

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is how I leveled my bookshelf with my tank on it, lol

Growing up, practically every piece of furniture in the house had stuff like that under it. :)

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I have extra kitchen counter tiles under my stand. I took 5 gallons out and then made my husband lift it up so I could slide the tiles. LoL glad I'm not the only one!

My local reef board is filled with people like this. Not that there is anything wrong with common coral, it's just the way they present themselves and their reefs on these forums.

YO CUHH I got DIZ BOMB AZZ BRIGHT ORANGE ANEMONE FROM DAH KURRIBEEN

It's brown

I have extra kitchen counter tiles under my stand. I took 5 gallons out and then made my husband lift it up so I could slide the tiles. LoL glad I'm not the only one!

Husband abuse! Lol

My stand and thus my tank is un level by a heavy 1/4" due to an old floor

Mine is too but it's 1/4" per 3 ft so I don't worry about it anymore. 1/4" per ft, that would be a problem.

Mine is too but it's 1/4" per 3 ft so I don't worry about it anymore. 1/4" per ft, that would be a problem.

Yeah, it just sucks because I get salt creep from a drop or two every 5 minutes or so on the low side thanks to reef crest mode and the tank being drilled. It ran perfect where it used to be until I moved it. Monthly I collect a nice pancake of salt in the back of my tank stand. :)

I set up a new pico using tap water.

Rawr.

Ive run my evo 4 on tap water for over a year

At the pet store I work ive stopped handing out information, I only really give advice to those who ask for it. I also openly defy my manager cause 1 hes an idiot 2 he knows nothing about keeping aquatic life despite his alleged "20 plus years in the business"

Ive run my evo 4 on tap water for over a year At the pet store I work ive stopped handing out information, I only really give advice to those who ask for it. I also openly defy my manager cause 1 hes an idiot 2 he knows nothing about keeping aquatic life despite his alleged "20 plus years in the business"

That's pretty much the same experience I had working in a store that dealt with saltwater stuff. My problem is that I can't shut my mouth. I have no problem at all trying to correct someone when they're wrong, especially when they're passing on that wrong information.

where do I start?

I won't spend more than $20 on a fish...corals no limit!

I've learned not to impulse buy, a $20 sharpnose puffer will eat $50+ worth of corals.

I turn dead corals into live rock and start gluing zoas and montipora frags on them.

I put anything that pisses me off in my sump then trade them back into LFS.

I have a crown royal bag full of change and spare dollars I use when I'm jonesing for something new for my tank.

I lie to my wife about getting credit on dead fish, and come home with new coral.

I no longer act shitty with live stock since I was a kid because Karma is real and she will get ya! (killed a few pup sharks in the 90s and didn't catch shit for 5 years)

So the other day my sister calls me up asking if I wanted a hand me down 10 gallon tank from her boss.

Thinking I could clean it out and use it as a QT tank.

She brings it over all crusty with everything including a bagged up blue dwarf gourami. I was about to go toss it in the bayou and totally forgot about it over night ,left it bagged up on the porch. Woke up later that night thinking damn I killed it!

NO it was still alive, I felt bad and now I have a 10 gallon glow tetra tank with Sponge Bob up in that mug too!

It bugs the heck out of me when people spell chaeto as cheato, or even worse, when an employee at a LFS says "Cheeto" Really? REALLY????

I don't know how to properly spell more than half my reefkeeping vocabulary.

When my bestfriends uncle asked me to look up all the parts for a custom 150 tank he wanted to get, when I came to him with a 10k budget for everything including a tank he laughed and said he could get it cheaper.

As it turns out I saw him yesterday and he is now $15k in the hole(because he let the LFS sucker him into buying all live rock and sand and put animals in there immediately, I'm talking about chevron and purple tangs, 200 pounds of LR and another of LS) and all that lives in the tank are several snails and some crabs which he payed about $5-8 a pop for. They sold him a calcium reactor on a brand new tank and a protein skimmer which is rated for 400(which would be fine if they hadn't told him it was absolutely necessary).

I look at him and thank GOD that he's and orthodontist cause anyone else would have gone into debt ages ago.

Most of mine are concerning water changes. I can be ridiculously thick when it comes to chemistry.

Not sure if this counts, but whenever I overshoot on a water change, I just dump old water back into the tank until it's filled to my liking.

I found my water change bucket filled with dirty laundry once. I shrugged, poured some boiling water down it and around the sides, and went back to my business. (I'll be buying that fancy-schmancy Big Gripper at first chance and sticking my name on it in big letter)

I got an API calcium test in the mail today. I didn't see the "shake after each drop" part and ended up thinking my calcium was below 20 when it was actually 420.

During the early days, I was trying to mod my AC70, so I took out the motor to get at the impeller... while the chamber was still full of water. The best part? Electrical damages: zero, despite getting saltwater onto every cord, the power strip, all over a voltage regulator, and into the goddamn outlet. Mom never found out. The AC70 actually did leak by total accident once, but that one wasn't because of pure, unadulterated stupidity. :mellow:

And finally, not mine, but I once heard my grandma asking why I have to change the water so much, since they don't change the water in the ocean.

I once shocked the crap out of myself, my HOB skimmer broke (when i was messing with it :unsure: ) and acted as a siphon and started draining a ton of water onto my power outlet and all of the cords. Of course, me being the genius that i am, i grabbed all of the cords and ripped them out of the wall, while giving myself the sock of a lifetime. :blink:

Also when i first got into the hobby 4 years ago, i bought about 40 lbs of "very nice" live rock which was covered with aptasias for $1 a pound. And i thought i got a good deal because the rock had alot of "life" on it!

I once shocked the crap out of myself, my HOB skimmer broke (when i was messing with it :unsure: ) and acted as a siphon and started draining a ton of water onto my power outlet and all of the cords. Of course, me being the genius that i am, i grabbed all of the cords and ripped them out of the wall, while giving myself the sock of a lifetime. :blink:

Is this a confession from beyond the grave?

Is this a confession from beyond the grave?

haha i should be, but somehow I wasnt shocked horribly bad, but ya, not one of my brightest moments. I guess panic just go the best of me.

When I was 16 I worked at a local pet store. One of the girls there was pretty dumb. In retail there is a thing called "facing the products" which means you go down the aisle and make sure all the packages are neatly lined up and facing forward.

We had a display rack of Betas in little round bowls. I asked her to "face the Betas" so that the fish all faced forward. She actually tried to do it. My manager figured out what we were doing and went over to ask her to do something else so as not to embarrass her. She went back later and tried it again.

Part of me still finds this hilarious, part of me feels bad about that.

Also we kept these small screen containers with funnels at the end full of crickets by the cash register. One day I grabbed my buddy's jacket and just filled his pockets full of crickets. When we left for the night he yelled and brushed a cricket off of his neck...then another, then another. I was on the floor dying of laughter at this point. He then reached into his pocket and pulled out a friggin handful of crickets. He said that he was "itchy" the whole night.

And finally, not mine, but I once heard my grandma asking why I have to change the water so much, since they don't change the water in the ocean.

LOL

I used to work Reptile trade shows with my Dad's business. We sold frozen mice as feeders for snakes etc. A girl that was working with us at the time asked if the mice woke up after you thawed them out...

When I was 16 I worked at a local pet store. One of the girls there was pretty dumb. In retail there is a thing called "facing the products" which means you go down the aisle and make sure all the packages are neatly lined up and facing forward.

We had a display rack of Betas in little round bowls. I asked her to "face the Betas" so that the fish all faced forward. She actually tried to do it. My manager figured out what we were doing and went over to ask her to do something else so as not to embarrass her. She went back later and tried it again.

Part of me still finds this hilarious, part of me feels bad about that.

Also we kept these small screen containers with funnels at the end full of crickets by the cash register. One day I grabbed my buddy's jacket and just filled his pockets full of crickets. When we left for the night he yelled and brushed a cricket off of his neck...then another, then another. I was on the floor dying of laughter at this point. He then reached into his pocket and pulled out a friggin handful of crickets. He said that he was "itchy" the whole night.

Winning.

It drives me crazy every time I see a crappy looking tank rocking a Full Apex controller. Sell the damn controller, use the $600 to buy yourself some decent corals, and more salt for water changes to clean up your dirty box!

Kingsley (Ned)

After my second wetside mp10 assembly was destroyed by the exact same trochus snail I promptly removed him from the tank and threw him into the woods. Most expensive snail ever.

I almost did the same thing last night. I came home and heard a grinding noise coming from my tank - never good. Turns out this punk of a snail had lodged himself in one of the outlet holes of my mp10 so that the prop was striking his shell . After taking out the wetside assembly, he managed to crawl into where the prop sits.

Took 10 minutes of cussing and jabbing to get him out. I wanted to chuck him out the window and let him fend for himself on the streets of New York. My special lady friend suggested I reinsert the pump and turn it on. Not sure what that says about her

post-80373-0-03868400-1390586810_thumb.jpg

Archived