SaltCritters.com

Reef Confessions

Graver

I use RODI water to calibrate mine when it gets off.

1. I haven't tested my tank in almost 6 months.

2. I used tap water for almost 3 weeks last month for top off(still fighting the GHA)

3. I stopped making my own salt water a year ago(overflowed the RODI and had to repaint the downstairs neighbors ceiling) and just buy it from the LFS

4. My water changes went from weekly to bi-weekly now to monthly as I prepare to upgrade.

5. This is my deepest one, last fall a guy was selling his sons tank and livestock on craigslist, he had no idea what he seas selling and I got him to "bundle" addition colonies for a matter of a few dollars, in the end I paid 75.00 for maybe 300-400 worth of coral and 100.00 for a 4/mo old MP10.

I've dealt with the guilt by giving away frags as freebies when I sell something.

Oh and my 2.5g QT tank has evolved into a full frag tank...

I wouldn't sweat that too much. I've sold off some stuff at killer deals just so I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. You may have saved the corals and helped him out in the long run.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a horrible bubble algae problem and some sort of weird wire algae. I don't bother it at all because I think it makes the tank look more natural. Most likely a product of my over feeding.

I always hear about it though when I post pictures. I act ashamed when really I'm not.

I have a horrible bubble algae problem and some sort of weird wire algae. I don't bother it at all because I think it makes the tank look more natural. Most likely a product of my over feeding.

I always hear about it though when I post pictures. I act ashamed when really I'm not.

When I had red slime I'd actively avoid the area whilst taking pictures lol

I just sent two peppermint shrimp down the garbage disposal for eating polyps off a couple of my SPS frags. Watched it with my own eyes. Not taking the chance.

Wouldn't that be a great way to test your skimmer?

Would it illicit feeding response from corals?

Would the fishes get pregnant?

Mermaids?

So many questions....

They dealt with this on a South Park.

Sea monkeys + semen = sea people.

I just sent two peppermint shrimp down the garbage disposal for eating polyps off a couple of my SPS frags. Watched it with my own eyes. Not taking the chance.

Oh, I act out revenge of critters that screw stuff up. I had a predatory emerald crab that even tried to eat me once and I literally hunted him for hours to seek out revenge(death by drying out in the yard).

caught myself eating a salmon fillet while watching my tank one day. i called my self a sick twisted individual and walked away in shame :blink:

I ate a pound of pulled pork Friday. While watching my mini pig play with the cat.

Oh yeah been there before. Yard, blow torch, knife. I am like a aquatic serial killer to non model citizens.

Well your tank is in Texas after all. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
vegasgundog

After I dump my tank water, I put my face in the bucket in the pretext of looking for critters in the sand fines. Actually I close my eyes and the smell makes me remember childhood trips to the coast and the oregon tide pools.

I farted at an LFS, blamed a fat guy, and made fun of him for stinking with an employee for 10 minutes every time he bent over a frag flat. I was playing "smooth criminal"in my head throughout.

Some times when I catch my crab being a bad boy I wonder if it's worth it to boil a cup of water toss in some old bay seasoning and have a emerald crab boil!

defective_weeble

Oh man. Well first off I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in my transgressions. Y'all are just as screwed up as me.

That said, here we go!

- I loudly preach simplicity in tanks while I'm planning and building a 230 gallon system that looks like a mad electrician's lab.

- My wife bought me a freshwater tank and that got me into all this. Now I can't stand talking to people about FW because it bores me to tears. (I still love my 55 community, but even she agrees that it should become a sump for the 230 reef.)

- I make fun of the people in my local aquatics group. It exists only on Facebook and is full of mouth-breathing, inbred, non-typing, mid-30s guys who do really shitty DIY projects for their cichlid tanks. I'm a mid-30s guy and I hate all of them for being stereotypes.

- lolquarantine

- My 20 long is the first tank that I've ever set up correctly without any rushing or shortcuts. I know how. I help other people to do it right. I just don't ever feel like it.

- I know exactly where the water should be in my tank. I don't run an ATO. I don't test salinity unless something looks screwed up.

- I bought a stupid brown paly because...I don't even know why. But I can't bring myself to throw it away.

- I bought a chunk of live rock with an awesome purple mushroom on it. The rock also has red bubble algae. And I don't care. It's in my pico and I don't care if that gets screwed up.

- I tell people who are getting into the hobby to beware the assholes on the forums. But I'm secretly thinking what everyone else is saying when I have to answer the same 10 dumbass questions every time.

- SECONDED ON THE GHETTOTANKS OMG. I'm in the LFS the other day. 2 women in there looking at bettas, then they go over to corals. They buy a betta...they buy a frogspawn...and talk about how pretty the betta will look swimming through it.

- SECONDED ON THE GHETTOTANKS OMG. I'm in the LFS the other day. 2 women in there looking at bettas, then they go over to corals. They buy a betta...they buy a frogspawn...and talk about how pretty the betta will look swimming through it.

wut...

defective_weeble

wut...

I hope beyond hope that they were trolling...

But the reality of how much stupid stuff I've seen tells me that they weren't.

vegasgundog

Overheard a woman telling the lfs guy she wanted another tang since hers died. He gave his condolences and I held my breath when he asked how big her tank was, oh, twenty gallons.......I swore I would have kicked him in the nuts but he told her that was way to small. I hope it wasnt because I was standing there.

Oh god customers. I have people come in all the time and ask me if the tropicals section is saltwater. It's a freaking WALMART! We don't sell saltwater! Frankly our fish aren't cost effective to start with (pretty much living shrink) but if we don't have them people don't buy the tanks, heaters, filters, etc., that we would stock anyway.

Oh god customers. I have people come in all the time and ask me if the tropicals section is saltwater. It's a freaking WALMART! We don't sell saltwater! Frankly our fish aren't cost effective to start with (pretty much living shrink) but if we don't have them people don't buy the tanks, heaters, filters, etc., that we would stock anyway.

I thought Walmart stopped selling fish years and years ago. I don't think I've seen it in close to 10 years I guess, across many states and many cities.

I thought Walmart stopped selling fish years and years ago. I don't think I've seen it in close to 10 years I guess, across many states and many cities.

A few where I'm at do. The store manager opted to keep them during the last remodel. I do my best to take care of them when I'm allowed in the department and make every effort to educate people on what they're buying. Still have to sell them what they want if my advise goes unheeded though.

A few where I'm at do. The store manager opted to keep them during the last remodel. I do my best to take care of them when I'm allowed in the department and make every effort to educate people on what they're buying. Still have to sell them what they want if my advise goes unheeded though.

Ah. I thought it had been a corporate decision to stop selling them. I can't imagine the cluster #### it takes to keep that sort of department in shape. I've worked in a couple Walmart's and I know it would be a disaster at either of those stores.

Ah. I thought it had been a corporate decision to stop selling them. I can't imagine the cluster #### it takes to keep that sort of department in shape. I've worked in a couple Walmart's and I know it would be a disaster at either of those stores.

1 of the 3 around here that I can think of still has FW fish. Cluster #### is putting it REALLY nice lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I am basically just doing the bare minimum to keep my tank alive until I tear it down for college... the loss of my bambam zoas hit me hard.

Archived