Pod Your Reef

Reef Confessions

Graver

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see:

- I rarely do water changes and consider it an accomplishment to get them done once a month.

- Once the design and build stage is over my tanks start to bore me and I desire to rip them apart and start from scratch.

- I buy expensive, rare, high maintenance animals (clam, large corals, odd fish) and take them home before checking compatibility with the rest of my tanks and general care/diet concerns. (Gotten better about this since I got my Galaxy SII but still ... )

- I buy livestock for some tanks before the tank is done.

- I had a mated pair of peppermint shrimp in a 2.5 gallon with an AC50 turned down hanging on the back and whenever there was a new brood of babies I turned the AC50 to max just to kill off babies so the parents would calm down.

- I regularly advise my dad to make poor choices in his new 37 Column like adding 7 damsels, a chromis, and a feisty Clarki Clown that hosts a large (read 4-6" tall by 6"8 inches wide with 3" thick base) Colt Finger Leather to the tank all at once.

- I never test anything. Ever.

- I like GHA and don't like cleaning it off the glass.

- I had a zero water pitcher and didn't change the filter out for three months and when I finally tested TDS after filter it read 128TDS. I still poured the water in the tank to top off.

- I forget to feed my fish pretty often so they get fed only 3-4 times a week.

- My 10 gallon coral quarantine has red bubble algae out the wazoo and is only topped off after about three gallons of water evaps.

- I have two 40B, one 30B, and an Evolve 8 that are dry. Even though I promise no more tanks I still find a way to sneak another into the closet.

- I sometimes go $1200-$1500 in the hole for tank design before water even remotely enters the equation. Occasionally I spend the money.

- One of my dad's emerald crabs ate his Cherub Angel. I promptly striped down my tank to catch mine which involved taking the rock it was hiding in and holding it about 6 feet over the floor shaking it till the crab let go then threw it in my dad's sump even though it was innocent of any wrongdoings.

- I flooded my biocube 29 with fresh water during a teardown without checking the back chambers killing a scissortail goby in the process.

- I will slouch around a LFS/Petco and mumble to myself over whether or not I should buy something just because I know my GF will offer to go halfsies.

- I will lie to my GF that things like yellow clown gobies and leather corals are really hard to take care of when she tries to get my to buy them.

- I go out of hte way to get the equipment to DIY something then drag my feet about actual assembly (Exception: Light fixtures)

I'm out of sins of the top of my head. I'm sure I'll remember more later.

I picked up a couple of new frags from my LFS the other day. I didn't do my due diligence and instead relied on the advice from the employee there. They are very good overall so I didn't use my own brain so I mounted a piece of montipora up high where I wanted it and I bleached it to hell. Now it is shaded and may recover. Lesson learned.

Friggin zoas man. In the past month or so I picked up my first 3 frags. One seemed to be the victim of a predator (never found but got better after Bayer dip) and another came down with zoa pox. (possibly due to lack of proper light acclimation) The zoa with pox is recovering well after some furan 2 dips. All other corals I've picked up have been so easy by comparison. Knock on wood but Maxima, brain, LPS, shrooms etc. No problem. But Zoas? Bam, double whammy right away.

When I was a teenager I was pretty into aquariums. Worked at a couple stores, helped my dad out with his aquarium maintenance business and worked with some coral/fish importers rebagging shipments etc. I'm so annoyed that I was totally out of the hobby for 16 years. I look at all i don't know still and wonder how much more advanced I would be with that 15 years of experience.

Lets see:

- I buy livestock for some tanks before the tank is done.

- I go out of hte way to get the equipment to DIY something then drag my feet about actual assembly (Exception: Light fixtures)

I'm out of sins of the top of my head. I'm sure I'll remember more later.

Ha, I'm guilty of that too. I always have way too many projects going on at once so they all tend to drag on slowly.

Friggin zoas is right! A few weeks ago I got a beautiful rock with 4 different color types all intertwined. Three types are doing great, but the 4th variety (about 15 polyps) closed up and detached themselves from the rock one by one and were flying around the tank. What the heck? Every other zoa is fine!

Let's see....my tank is still fairly young, but I guess I have a couple brainfarts to confess to:

When I was setting my tank up, I failed to rinse out my new bag of CPE. I got everything all set up, got the water in the tank, and when I turned on the pump, I was greeted with a big puff of black out of my return. I did a quick "water change"(lol...the tank was only 30 seconds old) to diminish my dumb mistake.

For the past week or so I occasionally seen very small white balls in my tank. I did some research and was 100% positive they were nerite eggs until I did my tank maintenance Sunday night. That is when I realized that I did not tie up my bag of purigen as well as I had thought. It was actually pieces of Purigen that had escaped out of the filter bag. Needless to say, I have removed all the loose purigen now and tied the bag up extra tight this time.

Live and learn...

Let's see....my tank is still fairly young, but I guess I have a couple brainfarts to confess to:

When I was setting my tank up, I failed to rinse out my new bag of CPE. I got everything all set up, got the water in the tank, and when I turned on the pump, I was greeted with a big puff of black out of my return. I did a quick "water change"(lol...the tank was only 30 seconds old) to diminish my dumb mistake.

For the past week or so I occasionally seen very small white balls in my tank. I did some research and was 100% positive they were nerite eggs until I did my tank maintenance Sunday night. That is when I realized that I did not tie up my bag of purigen as well as I had thought. It was actually pieces of Purigen that had escaped out of the filter bag. Needless to say, I have removed all the loose purigen now and tied the bag up extra tight this time.

Live and learn...

Well at least you figured it out before you created a thread "Help, Nerite eggs reducing phosphates?" ;)

^^^

This!

Confessions:

I wayyyyy overfeed my fish/corals.

I bought fish that I knew didn't belong in a 16g tank.

I don't test. anything...ever (I have a refractometer somewhere)

I chased my midas blenny around the tank with my hand for a few days to get him to perch on the rock I wanted him on.

Hmm let me see.

-I never QT (never lost anything)

-I never dip corals (no pests besides an evil crab)

-I hardly test anything unless soemthing dies (besides salinity that is)

-I don't use RO water, tap water for me

-My water changes are almost never the same salinity as the DT (the salt amount I use stays the same, the amount of water doesn't)

-Even though I have an ATO I will still empty the last bit of water from a drink bottle/glass into the tank sometimes before I refill it

-When I see an aiptasia I never take action until it has multiplied

-Most of the coral I get I buy because they 'look cool', most of which I have no idea what they actually are until someone points it out on the forums (kinda an over exaggeration really, I know what a lot of them are)

-I constantly lie to my family and friends about how much my recent purchase actually cost me

-I also constantly lie to family and friends about how much time I spend per week working on the tank

I whack off in bed next to my tank, but stop if I notice a fish watching.

I read that as into the tank and thought "Damn, shit just got real..."

I whack off in bed next to my tank, but stop if I notice a fish watching.

I walk around naked in front of my tank all the time and I feel kinda super awkward when my fish follow me.

It also makes me rethink having my tank in my room when I bring "special friends" over and the fish are watching....

I read somewhere it is good coral food.........

I walk around naked in front of my tank all the time and I feel kinda super awkward when my fish follow me.

It also makes me rethink having my tank in my room when I bring "special friends" over and the fish are watching....

Feed the fish 1st, that way its no so weird they get dinner and a show :)

I read somewhere it is good coral food.........

Feed the fish 1st, that way its no so weird they get dinner and a show :)

LOL, I thought about making that joke also. Unlimited source of zooplankton :P

Also this.

NSFW? - vulgar langauge (Dave Chappelle)

Oh I have another

I hate my refractometer. It constantly gets uncalibrated and that solution is expensive. I have started using my hydrometer more without issue.

I use RODI water to calibrate mine when it gets off.

1. I haven't tested my tank in almost 6 months.

2. I used tap water for almost 3 weeks last month for top off(still fighting the GHA)

3. I stopped making my own salt water a year ago(overflowed the RODI and had to repaint the downstairs neighbors ceiling) and just buy it from the LFS

4. My water changes went from weekly to bi-weekly now to monthly as I prepare to upgrade.

5. This is my deepest one, last fall a guy was selling his sons tank and livestock on craigslist, he had no idea what he seas selling and I got him to "bundle" addition colonies for a matter of a few dollars, in the end I paid 75.00 for maybe 300-400 worth of coral and 100.00 for a 4/mo old MP10.

I've dealt with the guilt by giving away frags as freebies when I sell something.

Oh and my 2.5g QT tank has evolved into a full frag tank...

^^^Shouldnt be any guilt in my opinion. It is the sellers responsibility in ANY situation to know what they are selling, he obviously did not. I say congrats to you for the score.

Wouldn't that be a great way to test your skimmer?

Would it illicit feeding response from corals?

Would the fishes get pregnant?

Mermaids?

So many questions....

^^^Shouldnt be any guilt in my opinion. It is the sellers responsibility in ANY situation to know what they are selling, he obviously did not. I say congrats to you for the score.

If it was the dudes tank, I'd agree 1000%, but it wasn't, it was his sons tank so I would wonder why he was selling his sons tank .... was it something where his son was in the military and wanted to stay with his tank until he had to ship out, was his son in need of medical care and was sellin stuff to help pay for it? I mean some shit like that I'd throw the guy more then his asking price and feel good at the end of the day......

If the kid was a little turd and his dad was selling his tank off because he flunked outta school, got in trouble with the law, ran away or somethin like that hell yeah go for the best deal you can get..... and feel good at the end of the day.

Archived