Top Shelf Aquatics

Reef Confessions

Graver

It drives me crazy every time I see a crappy looking tank rocking a Full Apex controller. Sell the damn controller, use the $600 to buy yourself some decent corals, and more salt for water changes to clean up your dirty box!

HALF THE TIME THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT PH IS -.-

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confession:

When I want stuff on the super cheap I take one of my hawt exes in daisy dukes or one of the shot girls from work. Shameless.

Oh I have another

I hate my refractometer. It constantly gets uncalibrated and that solution is expensive. I have started using my hydrometer more without issue.

Confession:

When I want stuff on the super cheap I take one of my hawt exes in daisy dukes or one of the shot girls from work. Shameless.

Imagine how much money you could make if you and a friend went with guys to the LFS to get discounts. You could charge a % of the savings. Let me know if you need someone to... uh... for lack of a better word "pimp" you out. :naughtydance:

Oh I have another

I hate my refractometer. It constantly gets uncalibrated and that solution is expensive. I have started using my hydrometer more without issue.

Check out my post here; http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/318797-grievers-serenity-new-fts/page-2#entry4209534

I go over how it works and how to make your own fluid to calibrate with! :)

I bought 2 clams from the grocery store to feed to my mantis. They are a little bit too big for him I guess so I tossed them in my junk tank.

Now I have two live clams in there and they seem to be doing well. I don't want to kill them. Funny how something can go from "hmm, put you in a pot with some wine and butter" to "well, it's a living thing shouldn't kill it for no reason" as soon as it crosses the magical threshold of an aquarium.

You bought live clams from the grocery store?

Yeah, most clams/mussels/oysters you buy at the counter are alive, or should be at least. If they aren't tightly closed when you buy them they should be tossed before cooking. Same thing if they don't open up after they are finished cooking.

Yeah, most clams/mussels/oysters you buy at the counter are alive, or should be at least. If they aren't tightly closed when you buy them they should be tossed before cooking. Same thing if they don't open up after they are finished cooking.

+1, they have to be alive to hold their shell closed..

Confession: The first time I mixed my own salt water, my el stupeedo came out. I had KGoldy on text, and I went. "It says I need 1/2 cup per gallon but I only have this thing that measures quarts. What should I do?"

cleaner clams on ice are alive. People put them in their sumps..

If they're not alive and you eat them you're gonna be spending a lot of quality time with your porcelain thrown.... or worse

Imagine how much money you could make if you and a friend went with guys to the LFS to get discounts. You could charge a % of the savings. Let me know if you need someone to... uh... for lack of a better word "pimp" you out. :naughtydance:

Honestly I shamelessly take cute exes to the LFS with my friends sometimes, Its kinda sad how guys go loony tunes for girls holding hands lol. Occasionally I'll sneak them a kiss on the cheek(to the ex) and thats when I know I'm getting stuff for dirty cheap lol. Needless to say the girls I usually take are about 50x more blessed than I am in every aspect imaginable, like I already know the LFS guy is probably like "how did thattttt even happen??" pero bueno. If I'm ever with one of them in Tampa ill let you know. I figure that if cute girls make you go full tard its on you lol

I still rarely test unless im curious about the parameters.

My sps are staying alive and encrusting so they must be good.

And I have 4 fish in my 10 gallon for the time being. No ill effects yet.

i'm guilty of all the regs, i don't test, water changes "happen", quarantine?

when i first got into aquariums, many years ago. i had a 55g fresh water and 2 huge oscars about a foot long each. one of them jumped through the lid, an old school t-8 bulb and hinged front black top. it jumped right through the hinged section. i found it dead when i got home.

i put it in a big ziplock and kept it in my freezer for about 6 years, until i moved.

Honestly I shamelessly take cute exes to the LFS with my friends sometimes, Its kinda sad how guys go loony tunes for girls holding hands lol. Occasionally I'll sneak them a kiss on the cheek(to the ex) and thats when I know I'm getting stuff for dirty cheap lol. Needless to say the girls I usually take are about 50x more blessed than I am in every aspect imaginable, like I already know the LFS guy is probably like "how did thattttt even happen??" pero bueno. If I'm ever with one of them in Tampa ill let you know. I figure that if cute girls make you go full tard its on you lol

Is he a straight guy? Then yeah, a cute girl will make him go full retard.

Even the best among us are just really good at pretending. ;)

When I worked for a LFS in high school we made a bathyscaphe for a mouse. Basically it was an inverted beta bowl with an airline tubing running into it that we placed on the bottom of the 250g display with a rock on top so it wouldn't float.

The mouse was pretty chill about it. Just sat there looking around and cleaning itself. There were a few large snakeheads in the tank that started to dig the gravel out from under the bowl though, so our Mouse Cousteau had to cut his voyage short.

/mouse was unharmed

//at least until somebody bought it and fed it to their snake

I've never heard of live clams in a grocery store until now. Only in cans.

They don't really advertise them as such, but if you are buying them whole they are. Unless they have been shelled and frozen.

i put it in a big ziplock and kept it in my freezer for about 6 years, until i moved.

Ngl that's just the slightest bit creepy

Is he a straight guy? Then yeah, a cute girl will make him go full retard.

Even the best among us are just really good at pretending. ;)

When I worked for a LFS in high school we made a bathyscaphe for a mouse. Basically it was an inverted beta bowl with an airline tubing running into it that we placed on the bottom of the 250g display with a rock on top so it wouldn't float.

The mouse was pretty chill about it. Just sat there looking around and cleaning itself. There were a few large snakeheads in the tank that started to dig the gravel out from under the bowl though, so our Mouse Cousteau had to cut his voyage short.

/mouse was unharmed

//at least until somebody bought it and fed it to their snake

They don't really advertise them as such, but if you are buying them whole they are. Unless they have been shelled and frozen.

Ehh boys will be boys x) I've never really seen many gay men in the hobby but I never really ask how many homos like fishies(PLEASE nobody take that the wrong way, I am too a big flaming homo)

That actually sounds pretty cool, mousy was chillin'. This one time my dogs were playing with koi in the lake behind the house I used to live and I guess the koi got pissed and b*tch slapped the woof out of my dog with its tail(I assume) to this day my dog won't go near large bodies of water lol besides that I've never really had animals that were "cool" they've all been major pansies

:huh::unsure: were you considering eating it sometime? why did you freeze a dead fish??

:huh::unsure: were you considering eating it sometime? why did you freeze a dead fish??
my clownfish died while the grounds was frozen and my girlfriend insisted on burying it. I threw it in a mini fridge freezer that was only used for fish food and forgot about it. I threw it out when I found it though, I didn't keep it for 6 years. Lol. Now all was fish are coral food. They get to live on as poop in my tank. :)

Been gone on biz travels so food has been slim pickin's in the house.. got up for a late night snack about 11:45 last night, damn food commercials, didn't find nothin to eats so fed my corals roggers food instead.

Archived