Cultivated Reef

Reef Confessions

Graver

I do the ol' "clown flick" when I get chomped. I make sure to spend a good 60 seconds chasing her. This has never changed her attitude, but I can't let her get away with being nasty.

I threw a snail out the front door after it demolished 2 donut/button corals. Didn't even think to rehome it in the sump. My brother didn't believe me, until he witnessed the same type of snail doing the same thing to lobos in his stock tank.

When people let me kow that they are coming to visit, a normal person will make sure the floor is clean, the kitchen is tidy and the toilet is presentable. I, on the other hand, rush to the tank like a woman on fire, to make sure it looks awesome, so people think I'm a great reefer.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, but 100% of humans have killed one thing at some point.

There is a difference between killing and senseless killing lol.

I love eating tasty animals and they have to die for that, but I'm not going to kill something that could just as easily be moved somewhere more suitable to live.

Ive done a ton of these. I got frustrated with my old tank and tore it down. I threw all the liverock in the ditch located at the edge of my backyard. I proceeded to collecting that live rock a week later, dunking it in peroxyde and reusing it in my new tank. It's too bad though, i wasn't thinking of starting a new tank when i threw them out. I would have liked to have the few corals that were still alive on them when i threw them out in frustration.

After my tunze nano 9002 skimmer broke/clogged for the 5th time, i threw it out instead of trying to fix it again.

I dont QT my new fish.

I dont have a skimmer anymore only surface skimming.

I go to the forbidden LFS once in a while (the guy is a total jerk and all other reefers hate him)...but his prices and selection are the best.

I didn't tell my husband when our pistol shrimp died, it's his favorite critter and he would have been traumatized. Snuck out to the LFS and bought a new one when he wasn't home!

There is a difference between killing and senseless killing lol.

I love eating tasty animals and they have to die for that, but I'm not going to kill something that could just as easily be moved somewhere more suitable to live.

True, that being said some animals do just that.

I had an extra tank in the basement that I dumped my hermits that were too big for the main tank. It had a ton of chaeto and I wound up growing an insane amount of pods (you could see them on the glass everywhere, and would swarm algae pellets dropped in). I got lazy and stopped topping of the water. First it got very salty, then moved to red sea levels, then to dead sea brine levels.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to glue some GSP to the shells of the hermits that I moved to my holding/QT tank and put them in GSP Madness.

Not true, newborns are humans.

Fun fact, something like 1/8th of all twins (or triplets etc.) wind up being just a single birth, often with the one embryo absorbing the other. Fratricide begins before birth sometimes. ;)

True, that being said some animals do just that.

People often compare the worst of human traits to animals and talk about how animals don't do this or that.

IMO, what an animal does shouldn't be what sets the bar. We should be better than them.

This convo is getting a little philosophical for a confessions thread. Killing a hermit in anger is much kinder than eating a mega farm raised cow or chicken. Seems silly to get upset about something that is barely alive when actually intelligent animals are mistreated and slaughtered directly because we like to eat them.

/not vegetarian, but trying to eat less meat, but make sure what I do eat is very high quality (and tastier) and raised ethically

Paandemonium

I judge every member on here as a huge nerd until I get to know them. Especially the girls. Clay has always been cooler than me though :)

I like nerds! And Patbacks :)

I agree to the above lol I sport a massive beard so I never worry about attracting the ladies nor does my gf :P

LOL beards have come back in style recently I would say right?

I feed live animals to my mantis shrimp and watch her beat them brutally and devour their corpses.

:closedeyes:

Talk about supporting assault with a deadly weapon lol

When people let me kow that they are coming to visit, a normal person will make sure the floor is clean, the kitchen is tidy and the toilet is presentable. I, on the other hand, rush to the tank like a woman on fire, to make sure it looks awesome, so people think I'm a great reefer.

^ every time! And, reset the moonlights to stay on just a bit longer during the visit.

^ every time! And, reset the moonlights to stay on just a bit longer during the visit.

^Truth.

LOL beards have come back in style recently I would say right?

I guess so,alot of men in my family sport a beard or did while alive so I don't notice really,just looks normal to me haha.

Paandemonium

Not so reef related confession: When I know I'm gonna have to move stuff around or move ahead of time I order boxes from USPS to move instead of buying some :x Federal offense right there lol

Wow, the confessions that have come out in this thread.

Next thing we know, Claya will be telling us about the federal offenses she's committed... Oh wait. She already has.

Not so reef related confession: When I know I'm gonna have to move stuff around or move ahead of time I order boxes from USPS to move instead of buying some :x Federal offense right there lol

Where do I start

I also do not quarantine. The one time I did I had an ammonia crash that killed all my fish, but none of the live brine, go figure.

Once I filled my top off with tap water, nothing bad happened.

I'm not great about water changes. I tend to hit once a month when aiming for once a week.

I flick my clown fish for being jerks, it just makes them angrier.

I bought super thick gloves to protect myself from said clowns

I have too many fish

I have separate bank account so my husband doesn't know what I spend on my reef

Paandemonium

Wow, the confessions that have come out in this thread.

Next thing we know, Claya will be telling us about the federal offenses she's committed... Oh wait. She already has.

LOL If you ever need to move house you will thank me for this confession :)

nevermore1701

When I had bitey clowns I'd flick them too.

Sometimes I put my hands in the tank for no reason but to play with the cleaner shrimp.

I haven't done a water change in two or three weeks now, since my tank heater cracked and I swapped the one from my mixing bucket in to replace it.

I haven't pruned my chaeto in a month, even though it needs it.

My "algae reactor" was entirely accidental, but very effective.

Every time I mess with one of my zoa frags (Green skirt, orange mouth), I end up with a itchy throat and runny nose. :wacko:

When my friends point out the correlation, I blame allergies to dust. In reality, I suspect it may be something with that specific zoa.

I honestly don't care about snails, i salt slugs when they get near my plants outside i pick out vermetid tubes when they get to plague proportions same with stomatellas, and I most definitely toss a repeat offender (he had a chance to behave) when they thrash my mp10. My other 2 trochus are model citizens and I would most definitely be a job reference for them if I had to take down my tank and relocate them.

On a side note http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/06/100603-crystal-meth-snails-brains-addiction-science/ I think my snail was on meth.

Never QT but I havn't bought a fish in years.

I use tap sometimes.

I use coral warfare to my advantage.

I hate (Kat excluded) ugly, cluttered, noisy sumps and all the crap that goes with it. I secretly laugh a lil when you have issues with any of said crap.

I'm currently rockin a single AC30 on my 40b. It's the same one I bought for my first 10g :unsure:

Archived