ReefCleaners.org

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

Define good? They will lean into something, put down a new foot, then split. Once this starts it only takes a few weeks before you have 4, 8, 16, 32 Xenias. :) It's really quite something to see. Bubble Algae kept mine in check for months, then it started to die off and boom, Xenia started spreading wherever it could put a new foot down.

Haha good as in my tank is healthy enough to facilitate coral growth. I'm probably going to remove the xenia on the epoxy. I don't love the epoxy look and I sort of went overboard for my first epoxy venture, hence me tank looks like a toddler with play-doh got ahold of it. Now that the xenia is attached to the rock on its own, I don't need the epoxy one.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will get covered up, the epoxy will. Leave it alone Doc.

My xenia either split or was split by something. Half is on the epoxy and connected by a teensy thread is the other half now connected to the rock. I am hoping this is good.

I added almost a gallon of fresh mixed salt water in tonight to raise salinity. I plan on doing my regular water change on sunday, too.

Yes, they split and multiply. And they will climb higher if they want more light too. :)

It will get covered up, the epoxy will. Leave it alone Doc.

Yes, they split and multiply. And they will climb higher if they want more light too. :)

It just looks lame.

It's a new tank, it will fill up in no time and not look lame to you. You can always move it later when you get other corals.

I know, I know. Patience, Tibbs, patience. It will grow :P

I'm trying to add this up.

Aqua Clear 110 is 500 GPH max

MP10 is 1575 max, let's say 1500

WP25 is 1700 ... lets say it's also 1500

So 3500 GPH in a 40 gallon is 87X turnover. So I was right, need more flow. What thread did he post this in?

I'm trying to add this up.

Aqua Clear 110 is 500 GPH max

MP10 is 1575 max, let's say 1500

WP25 is 1700 ... lets say it's also 1500

So 3500 GPH in a 40 gallon is 87X turnover. So I was right, need more flow. What thread did he post this in?

Ah, my bad, I just realized I didn't copy the link http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/342880-hydor-nano-settings-for-ideal-sps-flow/

I'm way low on my flow. And I'm not sure exactly how to add it up? If I have an aquaclear30 impeller pushing 150 gph and I add the koralia nano 240, is that 390? Or is it 240? Do they add up exactly, does one override the other, do they sort of add up together?

I just posted on that thread. You don't have SPS, why are you so worried about it.

I'm not worried, exactly, just interested in how flow actually works. I want to ensure that my corals are placed properly and that I have enough flow to prevent nuisance algae and stuff from gaining hold.

Trust me, that will gain hold no matter what you do. The magnitude of the problem can be small or large depending on many different things. Higher flow or flowing in dead spot gives the reef a fighting chance against those pesky problems but they still exist. If you have sky high nitrates, you're going to see nutrient related issues even if you have a tornado in there.

As an example, I have bryopsis. Yes the dreaded bryopsis. I tried the Tech M magnesium raising trick but was cautious because of my SPS. There are examples galore of bryopsis taking over the tank and hobbyists frustrated to no end. I am lucky that I have it under control, not eradicated but under control. I dip everything, I inspect everything, so how did I get bryopsis and flatworms? Things happen.

Trust me, that will gain hold no matter what you do. The magnitude of the problem can be small or large depending on many different things. Higher flow or flowing in dead spot gives the reef a fighting chance against those pesky problems but they still exist. If you have sky high nitrates, you're going to see nutrient related issues even if you have a tornado in there.

As an example, I have bryopsis. Yes the dreaded bryopsis. I tried the Tech M magnesium raising trick but was cautious because of my SPS. There are examples galore of bryopsis taking over the tank and hobbyists frustrated to no end. I am lucky that I have it under control, not eradicated but under control. I dip everything, I inspect everything, so how did I get bryopsis and flatworms? Things happen.

True. I just want to eliminate that dead spot in the rear left. I mean I put that red macro algae piece there on the sand, and it finally moved to the input tube about 5 hours after I left it alone. The ric seems happy there, but I know that I'm going to fight nuisance stuff there later on.

I really just want to give my coral the best habitat they can, and because it's so early, I want to do all my adjusting NOW to get this stable so that the tank can really take off.

Did I ever tell you that florida riccordea hate me? Can't keep one alive to save my life.

Ima challenge everything you think is true in this hobby. :)

I can grow a Nasuta like a boss, and yumas but florida riccordeas? sheesh.

Did I ever tell you that florida riccordea hate me? Can't keep one alive to save my life.

Ima challenge everything you think is true in this hobby. :)

I can grow a Nasuta like a boss, and yumas but florida riccordeas? sheesh.

Haha, I had no idea!

Rics and zoas are my favorites. Hammers and frogspawn are close seconds. Regardless of what coral I have, I want it to thrive. Gotta make it werk

In nano tank, flow is annoying as hell. It's very hard to have low / med / high flow zones in such a small area. When I started SPS, I bought a MP10 to add more flow. I killed a torch and wounded a frogspawn because they couldn't take the flow. I also killed 3-4 rics because they were just flying all over the tank like tumbleweeds. Annoying. I wish I never got SPS and just stuck with LPS and softies.

In nano tank, flow is annoying as hell. It's very hard to have low / med / high flow zones in such a small area. When I started SPS, I bought a MP10 to add more flow. I killed a torch and wounded a frogspawn because they couldn't take the flow. I also killed 3-4 rics because they were just flying all over the tank like tumbleweeds. Annoying. I wish I never got SPS and just stuck with LPS and softies.

Yeah, I think I'm going to leave it as is. If anything, adding the ac70 impeller back in to increase flow just a bit would be good. I think the reason I had issues with it before was that I had too much crud in the rear chamber and I wasn't actually getting ANY flow. Combined with poor water quality recently, I think the coral were unhappy. I'll see how they look when I get home today after they've had a day to really settle with the new water parameters. Testing tonight to see where everything is at.

I've been reading a lot over the last day or two, and I ran across a number of things on Reefkeeping.com that has convinced me to change from IO to RSM salt. I will be doing this slowly, but I will be making the change. I originally bought IO because it was cheaper, but considering my tank size, the smaller bucket of RSM salt will last me like a year.

I think ninjamyst makes a great point. A pico tank is going to have 1 flow. A LOT. Factor of the tank size.

I think your best bet is to try and turn it down, if possible. Or buy corals that love flow.

Also, Tibbsy, just relax and stop trying to fix everything. I read through this and I got anxious just reading it all. :)

Seriously, a small tank is going to be tough to keep stable, IMO. But a good challenge none the less.
And for me rics and zoas basically die in my tank. While LPS, clams and gorgs thrive and grow. I have no idea why! :) W-

Reason for the switch?

RSM seems to have a better balance of salt water components. None of the salts are really that close to NSW, which is fine, but RSM has better overall balance, imo.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030608135355/http:/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/mar/features/1/default.asp

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/9/aafeature

I think ninjamyst makes a great point. A pico tank is going to have 1 flow. A LOT. Factor of the tank size.

I think your best bet is to try and turn it down, if possible. Or buy corals that love flow.

Also, Tibbsy, just relax and stop trying to fix everything. I read through this and I got anxious just reading it all. :)

Seriously, a small tank is going to be tough to keep stable, IMO. But a good challenge none the less.

And for me rics and zoas basically die in my tank. While LPS, clams and gorgs thrive and grow. I have no idea why! :) W-

The tank doesn't have only 1 flow, though. That's what I'm saying. The rear left corner has almost none. You think I'm lying but I did the test with the macroalgae I had in there. I put it on the right side of the tank - immediately started blowing around the tank, making its way to the intake tube. I put it on the left side, in the rear, it sank to the sand and took 5 hours to make its way to the intake tube.

And for the record, the last couple of weeks, I haven't actually touched anything in the tank except the ric when it got messed with. Everything else has been left alone. I've only been doing water changes. I am trying to leave it all alone ;)

This. Give the corals a bit of time to adjust.

vector-of-a-cartoon-businessman-tied-to-

I've been leaving it alone, I promise! lol, I've only been reading. Additionally, IO was toxic to sea urchin larvae. Not a great study, but interesting, nonetheless http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.php

I believe ya. Put the ric in that no flow area. Or have you already tried that?

I did put the ric in the rear area. Seems to be fine back there - i just can't see it very well ;)

This. Give the corals a bit of time to adjust.

I am - promise! I'm just doing regular water changes now.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived