Coral Vue Hydros

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. Out two months, STILL sore!

Congrats! Sucks about the rib though. I pulled a small muscle in my rib cage a few years back, hurt like crazy for two weeks. I can't imagine how much a broken one must hurt

Congrats! Sucks about the rib though. I pulled a small muscle in my rib cage a few years back, hurt like crazy for two weeks. I can't imagine how much a broken one must hurt

Yeah...adding to the fun was that it broke towards the front end of a floating rib...one not connected to the sternum. It also broke across the rib, rather than merely cracking along the long axis.

For about 6 weeks, every time I went around a corner or over a bump in my jeep, I could feel that rib sliding back and forth against the others.

Testing for red-stripe belt (the one before brown belt) is in June.

Yeah...adding to the fun was that it broke towards the front end of a floating rib...one not connected to the sternum. It also broke across the rib, rather than merely cracking along the long axis.

For about 6 weeks, every time I went around a corner or over a bump in my jeep, I could feel that rib sliding back and forth against the others.

Testing for red-stripe belt (the one before brown belt) is in June.

Ouch! I can't imagine how much that must hurt. I hope you are healed before June.

In tank news, I have learned that I prefer coral to fish. Maybe it is because the fish is still new, but I prefer to not have to take care of a fish.

I hace also experienced an interesting thing. I purchased a local product called Area 51. The Reef Farm here is my go-to LFS for coral now. Great prices, willing to haggle, healthy coral. They sell the local guy's phyto, Area 51. They sold me a 6oz bottle for 3 bucks because the expiration is in 2 weeks. Note: they didn't want me to buy it, but I wanted to try it out, so they cut me a deal. The interesting thing is that I have tried spot feeding my coral and they DO NOT like the spot feeding, especially the zoas... they are still closed up.

Also: do Emeralds eat chaeto? My chaeto seems to be a bit smaller today than when I bought it yesterday...

Ouch! I can't imagine how much that must hurt. I hope you are healed before June.

In tank news, I have learned that I prefer coral to fish. Maybe it is because the fish is still new, but I prefer to not have to take care of a fish.

I hace also experienced an interesting thing. I purchased a local product called Area 51. The Reef Farm here is my go-to LFS for coral now. Great prices, willing to haggle, healthy coral. They sell the local guy's phyto, Area 51. They sold me a 6oz bottle for 3 bucks because the expiration is in 2 weeks. Note: they didn't want me to buy it, but I wanted to try it out. The interesting thing is that I have tried spot feeding my coral and they DO NOT like the spot feeding, especially the zoas...

What do you mean they don't like it...are you sure it is not just an aggressive feeding response?

What do you mean they don't like it...are you sure it is not just an aggressive feeding response?

Maybe? They tucked in as soon as I put it over them and they haven't come back out in 20 minutes or so. It also could be the pods all over them?

Maybe? They tucked in as soon as I put it over them and they haven't come back out in 20 minutes or so. It also could be the pods all over them?

In my experience, virtually ALL palys and most zoanthids will "feed".

For example, my RDEs will not even blink when I put some reef roids/Accel on them. Eagle Eyes, Tubbs, Red/Purple Deaths, AOGs, etc all curl up tentacles first towards the mouth. Even GSP does this...very interesting to watch the five individual tentacles pull into the mouth.

It is a very different response form what happens if you bump the table/tank, what I call a startle response.

I think you are getting exactly the response you want.

I have 2 GCG and they are both very different one hides in a leather and the other one is out watching to see if he can get someones attention to feed him usually. The nosy one has been found in the sump hanging out in the skimmer twice. Once yours learns you are the source of food it might come out more even if it just to beg.

The reef farm would break the bank even with the great deals if I was closer. Grace should be either organizing a swap again or reefsmart I keep watching the local forums.

I don't really spot feed anything but the ducans, acans, and favias the zoas and things will catch stuff if they want to. I have used Area 51 but no place very local to me has it

I have 2 GCG and they are both very different one hides in a leather and the other one is out watching to see if he can get someones attention to feed him usually. The nosy one has been found in the sump hanging out in the skimmer twice. Once yours learns you are the source of food it might come out more even if it just to beg.

The reef farm would break the bank even with the great deals if I was closer. Grace should be either organizing a swap again or reefsmart I keep watching the local forums.

I don't really spot feed anything but the ducans, acans, and favias the zoas and things will catch stuff if they want to. I have used Area 51 but no place very local to me has it

Seriously, the reef farm is the best coral LFS around. Area 51 so far is ok, but mine is almost expired so it is hard to tell.

I did my weekly water change tonight. CPE was leaking out of the bag a bit so i swapped out for purigen and a tiny, tiny bit of phosguard. We will see how it goes.

Blue sympodium still is not open. Just have to wait it out. The ee/watermelon zoas are happy on their new rock home. The other zoas, as always, are being fussy. The dragon eye zoas are doing great. Kenya tree is all closed up but everything else looks good. We'll see how things go.

I swapped out CPE for purigen and a tablespoon of phosguard. The CPE had black and brown granules coming out of the bag. I hope this turns out ok.

I disagree with phosguard, too strong, get it out. :) I run a bag of purigen in my 20 with some chaeto stuffed behind some rocks. I might do a custom mix of carbon and a touch of GFO, but in my experience phosguard is damn hard to regulate and can easily hurt corals due to rapid phosphate drop.

Great news on the little guy, hope he continues to improve. Mine was shy for a week or so, now he hangs on the front glass whenever I enter the room.

Which Sympodium did you get? I know one is called blue cloves and can take over a tank. If it is the one that Michelle takes out to the farm it is the same one I have in my tank very well behaved. I have both.

I disagree with phosguard, too strong, get it out. :) I run a bag of purigen in my 20 with some chaeto stuffed behind some rocks. I might do a custom mix of carbon and a touch of GFO, but in my experience phosguard is damn hard to regulate and can easily hurt corals due to rapid phosphate drop.

Great news on the little guy, hope he continues to improve. Mine was shy for a week or so, now he hangs on the front glass whenever I enter the room.

Yeah I may remove it. I put it in there because I've always had issues with phosphate, and I only used a tiny amount, but I think it'll be better if I don't have it. I think the purigen will be fine.

Which Sympodium did you get? I know one is called blue cloves and can take over a tank. If it is the one that Michelle takes out to the farm it is the same one I have in my tank very well behaved. I have both.

The blue sympodium is what I got. Looks like this when it is open (has not opened in my tank yet - maybe a phosguard issue)

Blue_Sympodium.jpg

jedimasterben

I've had some of that for a while (not sure if it's still alive, though, haven't really been keeping an eye on my holding tank), it seems to be pretty picky, but once it starts opening it will stay that way.

Yeah I may remove it. I put it in there because I've always had issues with phosphate, and I only used a tiny amount, but I think it'll be better if I don't have it. I think the purigen will be fine.

The blue sympodium is what I got. Looks like this when it is open (has not opened in my tank yet - maybe a phosguard issue)

Blue_Sympodium.jpg

this is the kind that won't take over your tank.

I've had some of that for a while (not sure if it's still alive, though, haven't really been keeping an eye on my holding tank), it seems to be pretty picky, but once it starts opening it will stay that way.

I hope so!

Mine was doing fine, looking good, then melted away. It had expanded to 3 or 4 times original size.

I hope mine makes it

this is the kind that won't take over your tank.

Good! Thanks :)

jedimasterben

I hope so!

Good news, doc!

IMG_6242.jpg

Also, dat coralline. Deep red LEDs.... I may need to rethink their addition over my display <_<

YCG took a turn for the worse last night. I came in this morning to find him sitting on the sand, looking like he went through a meat grinder... Peeling WAY more than he did before, white gunk/spots on him. Not a great picture because of my phone but:

20140402_082525.jpg

He looked perfect yesterday...

jedimasterben

Had a couple of mollies do that, once. :(

You can see in this picture the head of the black one.

IMG_0376.jpg

Still didn't stop him from trying to screw the orange female's brains out :lol:

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived