inTank Media Baskets

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

It's been interesting - the last few days I thought he was on the up and up. Eating, swimming around, perching all over, no peeling/white stuff. This morning... whoa.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You dosing Prime in the tank, just in case ammonia is jumping up and down?

I've never had a Goby look better then worse, so I agree that's odd. Wonder if something in the tank is trying to get him?

You dosing Prime in the tank, just in case ammonia is jumping up and down?

I've never had a Goby look better then worse, so I agree that's odd. Wonder if something in the tank is trying to get him?

I am not dosing prime. I don't even have any.

I thought about maybe something going after him, but I am not sure what that would be? I don't have any predatory things that I can see - no eunice worms or anything. I suppose the pods could be irritating him?

I always do Prime whenever adding a new fish or doing anything (rock removal, moving stuff around, etc) that might upset the biofilter. Just paranoid. :)

Yea, really not sure about what might be getting at him, if anything.

I suppose the ammonia could be higher as I've been feeding. I haven't tested this week since I did my water change on Sunday night. That may explain why the kenya tree is all tucked away. As for the fish, I'm not sure. I was feeling optimistic earlier in the week. Now I'm feeling pessimistic about his outcome.

12 week fallow begins. YCG is dead :( Came from work early to find him being eaten by Barry. Womp womp.

Bummer :unsure: ...especially after the earlier upturn. Sorry buddy...these guys can be a little difficult to get feeding and established from what I hear.

Surely you will have better luck as your tank matures after this fallow period.

The Kenya tree has this little white-feathery-algae thing near it, to the lower left. They have popped up in a few places in the tank. What are they?

20140211_192132.jpg

There are also some alien looking feathery things. Not aiptasia but it looks like a little white match standing vertically with a few strands off of it. I don't have a camera that can get them, they are really tiny.

I think these might have been foraminiferans. Basically a harmless filter feeder, though if there's a lot to eat they'll multiply.

And poor fish! Hope the fallow period passes by quickly enough... On the bright side, you know you'll be ready for anything next time! Little hospital tank, medicines, etc.. :/

I think these might have been foraminiferans. Basically a harmless filter feeder, though if there's a lot to eat they'll multiply.

And poor fish! Hope the fallow period passes by quickly enough... On the bright side, you know you'll be ready for anything next time! Little hospital tank, medicines, etc.. :/

Thanks! I actually removed that whole piece and just put the kenya tree on its own now.

Yeah it stinks about the fish, but I learned my lesson. Fallow until July 1st, basically, and then when I get new fish I will QT them in a small 5g for a few weeks, I think.

On a tank note: I think I am going to do a 2-2.5g water change this week to remove any crap that the tank may have had from the dead fish. The coral seem semi-happy right now. I'm going to do a big feed this afternoon of phyto for the tank and then get water ready to change out tomorrow or Saturday.

I'm also looking into moving the GSP from the sand floor (or at least a chunk of it) and putting it one the back of the tank. I think that looks great and 1stimereefer has a great looking tank http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/328405-1stimereefers-evo-8-darkness-update/?p=4666088 I just need to figure out how to get it to stay on the glass... I guess superglue gel and epoxy?

I'm also looking into moving the GSP from the sand floor (or at least a chunk of it) and putting it one the back of the tank. I think that looks great and 1stimereefer has a great looking tank http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/328405-1stimereefers-evo-8-darkness-update/?p=4666088 I just need to figure out how to get it to stay on the glass... I guess superglue gel and epoxy?

That works for me. I started at the middle/bottom of my back wall and it is growing up and out.

Lani is basically the queen of the GSP walls! Have a look at her previous tank build in a 10G.

I bet superglue gel would be enough to get it to stick to the wall.

Sorry about the YCG :(. They can be really tough to acclimate to a new tank.

That works for me. I started at the middle/bottom of my back wall and it is growing up and out.

Lani is basically the queen of the GSP walls! Have a look at her previous tank build in a 10G.

Did you glue it at all or did you just leave it on the sandbed?

Lani's tanks are always nice. I love her 20L upgrade. Her 10g was incredible. I'll have to ask her how she did it.

I bet superglue gel would be enough to get it to stick to the wall.

Sorry about the YCG :(. They can be really tough to acclimate to a new tank.

I was thinking the same.

Yeah, shame about the YCG. I think I may go with a red spotted goby and a neon blue goby for the next round of fish? We'll see.

This effect is actually super tempting! If only I had a guarantee that this stuff wouldn't migrate onto the nearest rock at the first chance...

Did you glue it at all or did you just leave it on the sandbed?

Lani's tanks are always nice. I love her 20L upgrade. Her 10g was incredible. I'll have to ask her how she did it.

I put glue on the back of the mat, then a glob of two-part epoxy-putty, then more glue...then mashed it against the wall and held it in place until is stuck.

Did the same with monti cap to the glass in an upper corner of my tank.

Works like a charm!

This effect is actually super tempting! If only I had a guarantee that this stuff wouldn't migrate onto the nearest rock at the first chance...

Right??

I put glue on the back of the mat, then a glob of two-part epoxy-putty, then more glue...then mashed it against the wall and held it in place until is stuck.

Did the same with monti cap to the glass in an upper corner of my tank.

Works like a charm!

Ah ok, so just like I put the frags onto the rock then? I'll give it a try.

Sorry about losing the YCG. :(

:wub:

Mine started when I had my gsp/psp rock sitting against the back wall. It just started growing onto the glass on its own. Right now I have star polyps lined up against the back wall, sitting on the sand, and its starting to work its way up. The polyps on the rock are also starting to grow out in sheets, kinda like monti caps, and have reached the glass that way. Evan's gluing method should work really well!

Sorry about losing the YCG. :(

:wub:

Mine started when I had my gsp/psp rock sitting against the back wall. It just started growing onto the glass on its own. Right now I have star polyps lined up against the back wall, sitting on the sand, and its starting to work its way up. The polyps on the rock are also starting to grow out in sheets, kinda like monti caps, and have reached the glass that way. Evan's gluing method should work really well!

Twas a bummer, for sure.

I'll give Even's idea a try. My GSP isn't taking over yet, neither is my kenya tree, nor the xenia. I was hoping that my tank would be growing them like crazy by now, but alas, nope. Soon... Soon.

Once your coral gets use to your tank you will be surprised how fast they can grow. There are some corals that take forever to decide they like a tank and then will take over and grow like crazy. Kenya tree does that for me I have one that hasn't grown much at all the mother colony I got rid of seemed to double every couple of months.

:( I'm sorry about your fishy Doc. :(

Twas a bummer, for sure. I'll give Even's idea a try. My GSP isn't taking over yet, neither is my kenya tree, nor the xenia. I was hoping that my tank would be growing them like crazy by now, but alas, nope. Soon... Soon.
No way. I've had GSP for 2.5 years and it hasn't become a gremlin, nor did my Kenya tree, had it for over. a year. I have a green nepthea which is growing great but has not taken over the fuge. Xenia tried to take over more area than I like, I just beat it back.
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived