Cultivated Reef

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

:( I'm sorry about your fishy Doc. :(

No way. I've had GSP for 2.5 years and it hasn't become a gremlin, nor did my Kenya tree, had it for over. a year. I have a green nepthea which is growing great but has not taken over the fuge. Xenia tried to take over more area than I like, I just beat it back.

I think my wife is more distraught about the fish than I am. She is pissed that it died and she hates that we have to wait for the 12 weeks even more.

I'm perfectly content to let this be a coral tank for now and overfeed phyto and get this thing grown out :D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is difficult when a fish dies. It is even harder if there is none in the tank for 12 long weeks. I don't know if Grace can get any YCGs or not but it might be worth asking her. It has been over a year since I have been to the farm and things have changed but she use to have fish. I live to far away just to make a trip up to look around.

It is difficult when a fish dies. It is even harder if there is none in the tank for 12 long weeks. I don't know if Grace can get any YCGs or not but it might be worth asking her. It has been over a year since I have been to the farm and things have changed but she use to have fish. I live to far away just to make a trip up to look around.

she has some fish, and I'm sure she could order one. I think I've going to get them online, though. Not that I don't trust Grace. I just feel that I could order 2 inexpensive gobies and some coral, pay one shipping rate, and then have some level of guarantee that if the fish dies in like a week I might be able to work out an exchange.

I'm eternally grateful that people's stories scared me into quarantining all new fish... My clowns' only issue was that I left for winter break and they didn't get fed by my roommates.. So now they're healing up from HLLE, slowly but surely. They probably weren't meant to be shipped out as small as they were, either; it's likely they still needed the massive feedings necessary for developing fry. The fins underneath them hadn't even split yet (and the smaller fish's haven't yet).

But a coral tank will be cool to look at! Are there any inverts you planned to add? Those are probably still okay, no?

I'm eternally grateful that people's stories scared me into quarantining all new fish... My clowns' only issue was that I left for winter break and they didn't get fed by my roommates.. So now they're healing up from HLLE, slowly but surely. They probably weren't meant to be shipped out as small as they were, either; it's likely they still needed the massive feedings necessary for developing fry. The fins underneath them hadn't even split yet (and the smaller fish's haven't yet).

But a coral tank will be cool to look at! Are there any inverts you planned to add? Those are probably still okay, no?

Yeah, inverts are ok. I've got Baron(ness?) von Algenfesser the Emerald crab and Merle the giant margarita snail. I'd like to get a porcelain crab, too. I'd kind of like a mantis, but it'd kill everything other than my coral so I'm not going that route (yet). Eventually a mantis tank would be fun.

I will be QTing all of my fish from now on. I'll at least do a 1-2 week observation period in the QT. If I don't see anything develop at that point, I figure it's safe to have them in the pico.

I've never been able to keep patient enough for longer than a week! :x Guilty. but I do plan on forcing myself to wait out a month in the future (you know, when I begin to suffer from multiple tank syndrome, which might be too soon if I can reseal my NC28).

I've never been able to keep patient enough for longer than a week! :x Guilty. but I do plan on forcing myself to wait out a month in the future (you know, when I begin to suffer from multiple tank syndrome, which might be too soon if I can reseal my NC28).

I wasn't patient and lacked the space for a QT and now I regret it. Never again.

I also want like 5 picos... no bueno :P

I wasn't patient and lacked the space for a QT and now I regret it. Never again.

I also want like 5 picos... no bueno :P

What's worse is that if I have fifty picos, I'll run out of different species to keep! So eventually, yes, I'll be way too tempted on the larger tanks...

sorry to hear about the YCG...mine's gone too. we can start a RIP YCG club.

Sorry to hear that man :( Any word on the other tank?

What's worse is that if I have fifty picos, I'll run out of different species to keep! So eventually, yes, I'll be way too tempted on the larger tanks...

lol

uh huh.

boxer-crab-24M0444-27.jpg

pom_pom_crab.jpg

Yeah, I like them a lot. I was debating between pom poms and a porcelain - I was just afraid that the pom poms might sting the coral.

My xenia colonies are piiiiissssssssed about something. Ever since I did my water change they have been all curled up. At first I thought Merle had run them over as he does the yuma, but it's been 2 days and I've even tried feeding the phyto. Nothing changed. Ah well the little weeds will bounce back soon hopefully. Everyone else looks good to go

I have found that xenia likes dirty water compared to a lot of corals. Some people actually put them in their sumps. Also xenia likes iodine that being said don't dose anything you aren't testing for.

I had a pom pom crab the only thing it poked at was a peppermint shrimp at feeding time. Mine died when it molted I don't know why maybe exhaustion or something.

My xenia colonies are piiiiissssssssed about something. Ever since I did my water change they have been all curled up. At first I thought Merle had run them over as he does the yuma, but it's been 2 days and I've even tried feeding the phyto. Nothing changed. Ah well the little weeds will bounce back soon hopefully. Everyone else looks good to go

Be thankful they are pissed. :) But seriously, if you like them, get some Iodine and put in just a bit. I was doing a half dose of Lugols solution once a week in all my tanks and the Zoas seemed to do better but the Xenia started to multiply like crazy. I don't have an Iodine test so I only use half dose, and in a small tank like this it might be a good idea to get a less concentrated Iodine.

Sorry about the YCG :( But coral only tanks rock!!!! I'm starting to think fish are over rated lol.

Hahaha, I love the colors of fish and I love seeing some movement, but I really REALLY love coral. I'm ok with it being coral only for a while, but my wife really is bummed.

Also - why the heck does IM spell their stuff "Auqa"?

Also - why the heck does IM spell their stuff "Auqa"?

You're the most completely random person I know hahahahahaha

I never noticed :lol:.

They won't respond to me, either. They never answer. My hypothesis is that when they applied for the trademark and patent, they accidentally spelled it incorrectly and can't go back and fix it, so they're stuck.

They won't respond to me, either. They never answer. My hypothesis is that when they applied for the trademark and patent, they accidentally spelled it incorrectly and can't go back and fix it, so they're stuck.

Or it's an acronym for something???? Seems weird that they would make that mistake and not catch it :).

Or it's an acronym for something???? Seems weird that they would make that mistake and not catch it :).

Definitely possible. They still won't answer me lol

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived