Pod Your Reef

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

I spilled the beans in kat's thread. So here's the plan:

After I get the 5g sumped pico like I want it, I'm going to make a small frag tank. I wanted a ric/zoa garden and a frag tank, but I don't have the space for 2 picos and a frag tank, nor the money. I decided that combining the two would be a great idea - Kat mentioned a reefer with a small frag tank for frag swaps and shows.

• Fluval spec V with marineland 606 pump upgrade, and a random flow nozzle on the output line
  • egg crate and PVC frag rack
  • Eheim substrat pro on the bottom of the tank
  • intank media basket with CPE, ff
  • koralia pico 180 on the other end, put at the bottom of the tank so that it flows under the frags for increased flow, but not too much over the top. Maybe some other pump and a spray bar instead?
  • Small emerald crab and a snail or two for CUC purposes
  • Lighting tbd - maybe a 4 bulb T5?

This is all way down the line. First and foremost is to get THIS tank matured, and then moved into a better pico system with a sump and a nanobox light. The 5.5g tank that it's currently in will either become an ATO or a QT.

One thing I was thinking was to remove the PVC leg idea and put magnets around the egg crate so it can be moved up or down depending on lighting needs.

Like the idea. What do you think about a small fish to help fertilize the coral? Is 5g to small for a 6-line? They are also pretty good about eating small pests, flatworks and such.

Curious to see how this goes.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only thing I don't like about Kent is the price. Picked some up today and it was $24.99. I prefer the $19.99 price for the IO :)

Like the idea. What do you think about a small fish to help fertilize the coral? Is 5g to small for a 6-line? They are also pretty good about eating small pests, flatworks and such.

Curious to see how this goes.

I was wondering about a fish, too, actually. I'm not sure about tank size for a 6-line. Maybe? I'm dealing with amphipods galore in my 5.5 and they are irritating my zoas, ric and GSP. I doubt a YCG or neon goby will help with their numbers, but maybe? I want a fish in my 5.5 regardless.

A small fish will definitely help, IMO, Tibbsy.

If I didn't have both my clowns, I believe my tank wouldn't be as healthy as it is.
I feed the fish and they, in a roundabout way, feed my coral. I don't feed my coral separately.

I just made some bacon strip pancakes. Yum! Tank looks good today. Eagle eye/watermelon zoas now have 4 heads instead of 2. Amphipods everywhere. Yuma is growing. Brittle star has another leg. Haven't seen the asterina in a while. I think Barry only has 1 eye... other zoas are expanding. I have 2 feather dusters that have appeared, too. Pictures when i can.

A small fish will definitely help, IMO, Tibbsy.

If I didn't have both my clowns, I believe my tank wouldn't be as healthy as it is.
I feed the fish and they, in a roundabout way, feed my coral. I don't feed my coral separately.

I'm hoping that a fish in my current setup will help the tank, too

Took some photos of the tank in its current state. Things are moving alone, slowly. Only have a phone camera, so sorry for the crap quality - also no photo editing software.

Current fts - no big changes as of right now:

20140317_193134.jpg

20140317_193454.jpg

The yuma is still around - just unfortunately faces the back of the tank :( Weird shot, but turned out ok.

20140317_193539.jpg

The ricordea in no-flow zone seems to be ok. It's been completely closing up at night like a ball - I take it that's not supposed to happen?

20140317_193556.jpg

Hard to see but there are 2 little new polyps on the left underside of this picture. I tried to get a side shot, but to no avail.

20140317_193627.jpgThese zoas close up a lot, but there are a few new polyps showing up

20140317_193705.jpg

Xenia is now two little frags. I'm going to have to watch these and not let them get out of hand.

20140317_193721.jpg

Hammer is doing pretty well

20140317_193636.jpg

These guys were flowing around a lot, so it was hard to get a decent picture of them. I was hoping they'd start getting longer and growing more, but they are closed much of the time. Not sure why.

The ricordea in no-flow zone seems to be ok. It's been completely closing up at night like a ball - I take it that's not supposed to happen?

That's normal. My St. Thomas mushrooms like to do that too :).

Stopped by the LFS today. They were having a 20% off all livestock sale. I went to the closer one first, but they had a minimal amount of fish I could buy - some damsels and some really tiny clowns, but eventually the clown would have to go to a bigger tank (read: I'd have to get rid of it). I went to the other sister store, and they had 3 YCGs!! Unfortunately 2 of them had ich, for sure. The 3rd was larger and in a different tank. I checked him out and it looks ok. His cheeks are a bit white, but not spotty. Fingers crossed. If he does, I'll lose him and I'll have to let the tank be fishless for a while. Here's hoping he doesn't have ich.

Anyways, he cost me 7 bucks.

e1YZi1K.jpg

I think we're going to name him Clyde, but my wife wanted to name him Pharrell because he's yellow and happy. We'll see how personality lends to a name. I tried feeding him the R.O.E. that I got him, but so far no good. I'll see about more feeding tomorrow.

Also grabbed a nice head of radioactive dragon eyes for 30 bucks.

S2APNSf.jpg

This picture was about 4 minutes after I put them in the tank and they were opening. They are now in full wide-eyed bloom.

Did my weekly water change today, too. Everything is moving along well :)

Have you thought about gluing your xenia frags to the back of your tank away from all the rock? That is my favorite of all the xenias I find either they grow like crazy or just disappear.

Stopped by the LFS today. They were having a 20% off all livestock sale. I went to the closer one first, but they had a minimal amount of fish I could buy - some damsels and some really tiny clowns, but eventually the clown would have to go to a bigger tank (read: I'd have to get rid of it). I went to the other sister store, and they had 3 YCGs!! Unfortunately 2 of them had ich, for sure. The 3rd was larger and in a different tank. I checked him out and it looks ok. His cheeks are a bit white, but not spotty. Fingers crossed. If he does, I'll lose him and I'll have to let the tank be fishless for a while. Here's hoping he doesn't have ich.

Anyways, he cost me 7 bucks.

e1YZi1K.jpg

I think we're going to name him Clyde, but my wife wanted to name him Pharrell because he's yellow and happy. We'll see how personality lends to a name. I tried feeding him the R.O.E. that I got him, but so far no good. I'll see about more feeding tomorrow.

Also grabbed a nice head of radioactive dragon eyes for 30 bucks.

S2APNSf.jpg

This picture was about 4 minutes after I put them in the tank and they were opening. They are now in full wide-eyed bloom.

Did my weekly water change today, too. Everything is moving along well :)

Yay! You finally got your YCG!!! :)

Did you buy Reef Nutrition ROE? It may be a little too big in size. If it won't eat that, try cyclopeeze (I like the frozen). Everything seems to enjoy the cyclopeeze. My green clown goby only wants to eat that!

Could also try some Nutramar Ova . Its super small and everyone seems to love it. My neon goby goes nuts for it

Definitely, I would have suggested the same. But it can't be found ANYWHERE. I've been trying. It's out of stock.

Definitely, I would have suggested the same. But it can't be found ANYWHERE. I've been trying. It's out of stock.

Foster/Smith says they should have it 3/31

Have you thought about gluing your xenia frags to the back of your tank away from all the rock? That is my favorite of all the xenias I find either they grow like crazy or just disappear.

I have not. I might if they start going crazy :D

Looking good Tibbs , new zoas are nice.

Thanks! I love them

Yay! You finally got your YCG!!! :)

Did you buy Reef Nutrition ROE? It may be a little too big in size. If it won't eat that, try cyclopeeze (I like the frozen). Everything seems to enjoy the cyclopeeze. My green clown goby only wants to eat that!

I think that's what it is? It cost me like 22 bucks... lol. The guy at the LFS said they feed that and mysis feast to their fish. He uses the ROE at home and they use it at the store to get picky fish to eat. We'll see, though.

He looked like he could eat it, but that he wasn't too happy yet. Kept trying to get away from the syringe. Fair enough. I'll let him chill before I try again. I may turn off the AC70 when I feed next and let him go after the ROE.

Could also try some Nutramar Ova . Its super small and everyone seems to love it. My neon goby goes nuts for it

Yeah, it's hard to find here. I'll see what I can do.

That's because there is a shortage. Someone posted about this last week. The shrimp stocks in SE asia are being hit by an infection and the Ova supply is virtually gone.

Frozen cyclopeeze is a small sized food too and everybody eats it.

The yuma is on the substrate? Can't you move it to the front? Before I saw it I thought it had attached itself to a rock towards the back. If you can move it, place it touching a rock, it might attach to it.

They like moderate-low light

Also is that the corner that has the low flow? Yumas like low flow areas.

Frozen cyclopeeze is a small sized food too and everybody eats it.

The yuma is on the substrate? Can't you move it to the front? Before I saw it I thought it had attached itself to a rock towards the back. If you can move it, place it touching a rock, it might attach to it.

They like moderate-low light

Also is that the corner that has the low flow? Yumas like low flow areas.

The yuma is still attached to the rock directly behind the kenya tree and seems to be doing well. The ricordea florida is on a small flat LR rubble piece on the rear sand.

I'll look into the cyclopeeze and see who sells it around here.

Tibbs, that YCG is gorgeous. fingerscrossed Here's to him not having ich!

Thanks! He's a big guy, probably full grown already. ~2" long. He's been hanging around the rear right of the tank underneath the AC70 output, hanging on the glass. This morning before the lights came on he was in the front left swimming near the hammer. I'm hoping he perches over in that area.

Random question - would phyto feast benefit ONLY the coral or would the YCG benefit too?

Phytoplankton is in the size range of 1.5-15µm in size, far too small for any fish to eat.

That's what I figured. Alright. I'll stick to the ROE for now and get cyclopeeze if this fish won't eat it.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived