Cultivated Reef

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

Current FTS:

20140324_180615.jpg

The zoas are out today in full bloom:

20140324_180417.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't think YCG is going to make it. He looks awful today.

20140324_182806.jpg

I tried feeding him and he just kept swimming away from the syringe. I think it stressed him out even more.

20140324_180639.jpg

Darn.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on the symptoms, I think the YCG has brooklynella. Lame. Discoloration of the face/head and skin/mucus sloughing off. Damn.

Anyone have any advice? It seems I'll have to set up a QT tank and go formalin dips... Ugh. I should have known when the LFS told me that salt water fish from their store have no return policy because "parameters can swing so much" :(

If this guy kicks it, I'll have to fallow the tank from fish for 12 weeks minimum. Note to self - buy a 5g tank for a QT tank and use it from now on.

I had the first one i bought die a horrible death, second one was fine. Sometimes I wonder of these maladies are overplayed.

I would throw together a small 5 gallon hospital tank, or even some kind of 1 or 2 gallon betta tank (which is too small for a betta, but that's another rant). Daily or twice daily 50% water changes and whatever meds might help him (can't help you there). The trick is getting him to eat, and it might be too late. Starving fish tends to catch something and die of it, IMO.

My current clown goby likes fast food (cheap flakes with garlic added).

Good luck!

I had the first one i bought die a horrible death, second one was fine. Sometimes I wonder of these maladies are overplayed.

I would throw together a small 5 gallon hospital tank, or even some kind of 1 or 2 gallon betta tank (which is too small for a betta, but that's another rant). Daily or twice daily 50% water changes and whatever meds might help him (can't help you there). The trick is getting him to eat, and it might be too late. Starving fish tends to catch something and die of it, IMO.

My current clown goby likes fast food (cheap flakes with garlic added).

Good luck!

Thanks. The treatment is formalin dips and QT tank... Doing big time 1g dips into formalin, using hyposalinity water, etc. A 2.5g tank should be plenty, I'm just not sure it's going to help and I'm not sure spending all the money is worth it yet? I'm going to take a look at him when I get home this afternoon and see. Maybe it's just stress. It'll stink to have to fallow the tank for so long, though. I'm irritated at myself for rushing the purchase. When I saw the YCG in the other tanks with ich, I should have held off just in case. This guy just looked so big and healthy. I guess not. Womp womp.

This fish cost me 7 bucks but it might end up costing me WAY more in the long run.

The question is where to get them

Lab. Use a vial to smuggle it out.

EDIT: I also just realized that our tanks have nearly the same footprint!

Thanks!

Lab. Use a vial to smuggle it out.

EDIT: I also just realized that our tanks have nearly the same footprint!

We don't have anything like this. Maybe formaldehyde... But that's stupid toxic. I don't really want to take it home ;)

Poor fish :(. On the literally bright side, the radioactive dragon eyes look amazing :).

Yeah... Hopefully we can get him taken care of. If not, it'll be a while before I get another. I'm not getting one from this particular LFS either. If this guy kicks it, I'm definitely going to send them an email and let them know they have some issues (all their tanks are connected).

Thanks! I really like the zoas.

i would do a hydrogen peroxide bath on every sick fish in my tank. it cured

oodinium out of my scopas tang before and made him well. hows the little guy doin?

i would do a hydrogen peroxide bath on every sick fish in my tank. it cured

oodinium out of my scopas tang before and made him well. hows the little guy doin?

Haven't heard of doing this, but it actually makes sense. I'll research it some to see if it might work.

As far as the fish - he hasn't eaten anything as far as I can tell. I put the R.O.E. in and it ends up just going everywhere. I try to leave him be so it doesn't stress him out to have me around. I work late, though, and with the LFS being ~40 minutes away, it's usually closed before I'd be able to to get there. I'm going to go to PetCo and PetSmart tonight, though, to see what they have. I know they have like cyclopeeze gel bars from IO. I'll see if they have anything else in their freezers... I don't really trust the gel bars...

If you were closer I would give you some LRF to try there are very few fish that will turn it down.

LRF? Thanks, though. I wonder if I can get it around here.

Picked up some IO cyclo-peeze gel and some san francisco bay marine cuisine. Added a bit of the gel and the YCG is eating a bit. Still hides when I come near the tank though

Yess! Eating is always a good sign.

I went to my LFS and petco today in search of a YCG. This is the 5th week I've tried to get ahold of one. No one has gotten a YCG in; their suppliers have been only sending them GCGs. fml.

Looking good Tibbs...good color in the tank! Hope th YCG turns the corner for you. What is the current treatment plan?

Are you still doing cross-fit? I was going for a couple of months, had to take a break after I broke a rib just before Christmas. Thinking about picking it back up after ski season is over. Terrible time to convalesce, during the holiday season with all the food! Put on 15 lbs!

Sounds like beer is your friend again, based upon your twitter activity!

How's the lab work going?

Yess! Eating is always a good sign.

I went to my LFS and petco today in search of a YCG. This is the 5th week I've tried to get ahold of one. No one has gotten a YCG in; their suppliers have been only sending them GCGs. fml.

GCG are great little fish!

Looking good Tibbs...good color in the tank! Hope th YCG turns the corner for you. What is the current treatment plan?

Are you still doing cross-fit? I was going for a couple of months, had to take a break after I broke a rib just before Christmas. Thinking about picking it back up after ski season is over. Terrible time to convalesce, during the holiday season with all the food! Put on 15 lbs!

Sounds like beer is your friend again, based upon your twitter activity!

How's the lab work going?

Thanks. I love the colors right now. Picked up some blue sympodium today for 20 bucks. Current treatment is just to feed the YCG. I think it was just his slime coat, as he seems to be ok. Very skittish, though. Hides any time i go near the tank.

As far as crossfit, i can't afford it. Local place is $200/month. Womp womp. I've just been lifting at the gym with some crossfit WODs i've gotten from online. How did you break your rib.

As far as beer, it seems to be fine again. Working out helps, too, actually.

Lab is ok. Cloning, cloning, and more cloning.

GCG are great little fish!

So shy though. I want something that screams: LOOK AT ME! YCGs do a great job at that when they sit and stare back at you.

So shy though. I want something that screams: LOOK AT ME! YCGs do a great job at that when they sit and stare back at you.

Mine hides as soon as i come anywhere near the tank :D

Mine hides as soon as i come anywhere near the tank :D

Ya gotta train him to make the connection of people = food.

Also, I've been meaning to ask, do you have a top on your tank?

Ya gotta train him to make the connection of people = food.

Also, I've been meaning to ask, do you have a top on your tank?

Gotcha.

I do not have a top yet. It is on my list. Found a glass shop to make one for me for ~$11, i just gotta do it.

Gotcha.

I do not have a top yet. It is on my list. Found a glass shop to make one for me for ~$11, i just gotta do it.

I'm trying to debate whether I want to get a lid or not for my fluval edge. If you were going to run your tank topless, I was going to use your tank as an excuse to also run mine topless with fish. LOL.

I've had three jumpers in my Cadlight Mini, but I still can't bring myself to sacrifice that rimless look...

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived