Cultivated Reef

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I still feel like crap but at least I'm feeling better today. Benny the Sixline will be going into the DT tomorrow - I'm worried he'll injure himself in my Pico QT if I keep him in there for any longer. He bumped into the sides twice, and I think the holding tank is too small and restrictive for a fish of his size and nature.

In the meantime, I have a quick question - I managed to sell off my FW tank and gizmos, so I have some spare cash to buy some new corals. Should I get a GSP or multicolored mushroom rock first?

Well, I still feel like crap but at least I'm feeling better today. Benny the Sixline will be going into the DT tomorrow - I'm worried he'll injure himself in my Pico QT if I keep him in there for any longer. He bumped into the sides twice, and I think the holding tank is too small and restrictive for a fish of his size and nature.

In the meantime, I have a quick question - I managed to sell off my FW tank and gizmos, so I have some spare cash to buy some new corals. Should I get a GSP or multicolored mushroom rock first?

I've always felt that way about QT'ing fish of that nature. I think trying to QT a fish like that in a small tank is just counterproductive, they end up stressing too much.

I think you should get a shroom rock. More potential color than gsp.

I've always felt that way about QT'ing fish of that nature. I think trying to QT a fish like that in a small tank is just counterproductive, they end up stressing too much.

I think you should get a shroom rock. More potential color than gsp.

Yeah, I've QTed active fish before, but Benny seems hyper-inquisitive, and hence more active than usual. Hopefully he'll simmer down once he's in the DT tomorrow morning.

I'll see if the rock is still available. It had a teal striped shroom, purple shroom and red shroom on it. If I can't get it, then I'll snag the GSP. :)

I like gsp as well. I know everyone says it can become a horror but I've had my plug of it for damn near a year and it hasn't grown a millimeter.

I like gsp as well. I know everyone says it can become a horror but I've had my plug of it for damn near a year and it hasn't grown a millimeter.

I find GSP more beautiful than invasive. Of course, I'm not sure what parameter exactly that causes rapid growth of GSP, but I watched a few friends' tanks that have them, and it does add a nice splotch of color. I'll probably get the GSP when I get the Elegance then. I'm in no rush. :)

Elegance... :wub: Far too large for my tank though.

One of my favorite corals as well. :wub: The one I booked through my LFS actually used to be in another customer's tank. He gave it up because he was collecting various elegances and had some repeats. It's quite healthy though, so I should have better luck with it. I might have to shuffle some of my other corals around though, to create some extra space. :P

I found that gsp likes light, it'll grow faster in light. Also hear it takes off fast on rock, but not as fast on sand. It's virtually undestructable, You can see the tiny gazillion pieces I cut out of 2 inch pieces to make the plugs for the mantis divider- they just grow fast on a harder surface. Put it in a corner and it will travel up the glass.

I found that gsp likes light, it'll grow faster in light. Also hear it takes off fast on rock, but not as fast on sand. It's virtually undestructable, You can see the tiny gazillion pieces I cut out of 2 inch pieces to make the plugs for the mantis divider- they just grow fast on a harder surface. Put it in a corner and it will travel up the glass.

Yeah that's what I always read too. Mine doesn't though. :(

Wow, that's actually amazing. I recall seeing someone's tank with a GSP wall on it. Looked stunning to my eyes. :)

A quick update - after a brief 30 min acclimation period, I finally shifted Benny the Sixline Wrasse into the DT. He's as happy as a clam in there and curiously checking everything out. He's also swimming right next to my clowns as we speak, and hangs around the YCG when he feels like taking a break from nosing around.

The best part is that he just attempted to eat a peanut worm double his size! I couldn't get a pic of it, but he dropped the worm when he realized he couldn't slurp it down lol. Anyways, here are some pics:

He'll devour that worm in no time. :) he probably dropped it cuz he thought it was too good and needed to save some for later lol

Aha! Well, his belly is bulging now. I guess he ended up swallowing it after all. :P

Yep, he found something, and fast. He'll get it all in no time and then when you're/if you're feeding your corals he'll take that opportunity as well.

Finally got my multicolored shroom rock today! Cost me a hefty $$, but I think it's the first official colorful thing I have in my tank, so I'm quite happy with it. :)

FTS on 25/11/2013.

And I have something unexpected...

I got the whole setup for free from my LFS. Turns out they were throwing out display tanks, and one of these nanos came home with me. I estimate it's around 10 to 12 G. Currently there are two pieces of cured/cycled LR in there with one large piece of uncycled LR. I'm thinking of adding a damsel or two, and maybe a very small blenny afterwards. Will probably do a max. of 3 fish. Once the setup is stable, I'll probably sell it off or keep it, depending on how much noise my folks make. :P

Throwing out tanks? Man the store I worked at would never have done that, they sold everything, no matter how old or beat up it was.

Love the shroom rock, much better choice than some GSP. Keep an eye on the reds, they can multiply pretty fast.

Free tank is awesome! Do a mantis and some damsels! B)

Yes it is! I was considering it, but my LFS rarely imports Mantises. Might keep a Debelius or Daumi reef lobster in it though, and maybe a pair of damsels. :)

Throwing out tanks? Man the store I worked at would never have done that, they sold everything, no matter how old or beat up it was.

Love the shroom rock, much better choice than some GSP. Keep an eye on the reds, they can multiply pretty fast.

Yeah, they were getting rid of three tanks - I chose the smallest one. :P I think it's less than 10G though. Nevertheless, will probably just keep a pair of damsels in it and call it a day. B)

Haha, I love it as well! And sure, I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks Chew.

Archived