Cultivated Reef

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

Awesome tanks!

Somehow I missed the question, but small flashers/fairys would be fine with a scooter. They eat from the water column and not off the rocks. Feed them frequently!

Thanks, Tamberav. And yes, they truly are amazing tanks.

I was debating if getting a yasha/hi-fin goby and scooter dragonet and clown blenny would be too much bioload for the tank. I understand the gobies and blennies I've listed will have tiny bioloads, but right now I have a pair of Occys with me as it is. What do you think? Also, you can scroll up and see my stocking plans - let me know if something is terribly off.

And a flasher/fairy wrasse sounds amazing. A really small one would be good, but in that case, I'll have to axe on of the fish off my wishlist.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fish stocking looks fine to me. Your biggest challenge will be keeping the clowns and shrimp away from the scooters food. It can become a huge pain in the ass once the clowns mature and the shrimp learn about the scooter getting fed.

Nice pictures! YAY! A new clown! Love the octospawn also...I need one, dang't!

Thank you! And yes, I couldn't resist - after you dropped the idea in my head, and I just happen to chance upon this little guy at my LFS (he was the only clownfish left), I pretty much sealed my stocking list for now haha. And go ahead, get one. They're beautiful when fully expanded.

The fish stocking looks fine to me. Your biggest challenge will be keeping the clowns and shrimp away from the scooters food. It can become a huge pain in the ass once the clowns mature and the shrimp learn about the scooter getting fed.

I agree. But...I have a slightly sneaky plan. I thought of placing a container sideways and partially buried in the sand with some food inside. Hopefully over time the Scooter will associate the container with food and voluntarily feed at this 'station' everyday. It's worth a shot though. But...I won't be getting the Scooter anytime soon. I still need to boost my pod population up as a backup plan.

Container should work for the clowns but not shrimp. Can catch a shrimp using a bottle trap in about 10 seconds. I was thinking about buying BIG pellet food and giving one to each of my shrimp to see if that keeps them busy. Simply feeding them normal food does nothing, I am not sure where they put it all. They just keep shoveling it in!

Actually I'm going to try giving them half of a krill and see if they leave my corals alone.

I have two wonderful reefing mentors that live close by to my residence, and guide me frequently. So here's a preview of their tanks - I can only hope that someday, my tank will thrive and flourish as theirs.

Here's Alan A's tank: (sorry, can't reveal their full names)

attachicon.gifAlan's tank.jpg

He unfortunately decommed this tank in 2008 due to work. However, he has set up a brand new cube tank in Singapore which is just as lovely:

attachicon.gifAlan's Tank 2.jpg

And here's my 2nd mentor, Ash P's tank:

attachicon.gifAshwin's Tank.jpg attachicon.gifAshwin's Tank 2.jpg

So hopefully, my tank will someday be able to mature and own up to theirs. :)

Those are amazing tanks. You should see what I had to go by locally, most of the tanks around here are brown and overrun with algae. So that's what I had to go by until I found NR.

Container should work for the clowns but not shrimp. Can catch a shrimp using a bottle trap in about 10 seconds. I was thinking about buying BIG pellet food and giving one to each of my shrimp to see if that keeps them busy. Simply feeding them normal food does nothing, I am not sure where they put it all. They just keep shoveling it in!

Actually I'm going to try giving them half of a krill and see if they leave my corals alone.

My experience with shrimp is that they'll snatch up everything you give them and then steal all the food from your coral and then chase fish around for food. Just during one feeding. In a was I'm kinda glad my skunk cleaner died. <_<

Those are amazing tanks. You should see what I had to go by locally, most of the tanks around here are brown and overrun with algae. So that's what I had to go by until I found NR.

My experience with shrimp is that they'll snatch up everything you give them and then steal all the food from your coral and then chase fish around for food. Just during one feeding. In a was I'm kinda glad my skunk cleaner died. <_<

I have two of the devils! If I chase 1 around, the other is snatching food. Its a freaking circus trying to feed coral.

Dragonets are amazing and fascinating. I love the fact that they perch frequently and scoot around on the sand. They're fun to watch, and peaceful too.

My mum's been hinting that she'd love a blue colored fish - she nearly got me a tang (a tang!) last week, but I managed to coax her into not going through with it. She still loves a small blue nano fish - something not overly aggressive and active. I was looking into getting a Kupang Damsel (yellowtail damsel), but I understand these guys can be jerks when they grow up. The funny thing is that I've had friends that have kept damsels long before and they never caused any problems.

Do you think this stocking plan would work (in the long term --> I'm talking about 6 months or more here):

Fish that I already have:

1 Juvi Occy Misbar Clown

1 Yellow Clown Goby

Fish that I would love to have:

1 Clown Blenny

1 Scooter Dragonet

1 Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby

1 Kupang Damsel

Is this doable? The bioload will be high due to the dragonet and clown, but the rest of the fish have really small bioloads. Nevertheless I'm using a skimmer that's meant for a 125G tank. And I'll be doing 30% water changes weekly.

JMO the damsel, possibly the blenny, and maybe the goby will compete for food and may be territorial.

JMO the damsel, possibly the blenny, and maybe the goby will compete for food and may be territorial.

I think that is her old list

1 Juvi Misbar Occy Clown (tank-bred & in QT)

1 Occy Clown (wild caught & in QT)

1 Yellow Clown Goby

1 Scooter Dragonet

1 Clown Blenny

1 Yasha goby/Hi-Fin Red banded Goby

I think?

I think that is her old list

1 Juvi Misbar Occy Clown (tank-bred & in QT)

1 Occy Clown (wild caught & in QT)

1 Yellow Clown Goby

1 Scooter Dragonet

1 Clown Blenny

1 Yasha goby/Hi-Fin Red banded Goby

I think?

Yup. That is my latest list.

I have a huge problem. My tank temp hit an all time high of 31'C this morning. So far everything is okay, except some part of my Fire and Ice zoas are melting a little. I'm planning on getting an aquarium fan (RM50ish) and then maybe get a chiller (over RM1.2K) in the long-term.

I don't want to shock the system, but will floating a tumbler full of iced water bring down the temp in the tank? I need the tank to hold on for a few more hours before I can go out to get the fan (basically I'm short on cash, and I'm selling off my nano Hex to a client to get extra money to get a fan).

I have approx. 4.5 hours before I can get my fan - any advice? Shall I float a baggie full of ice cubes as well? :(

You can float a tumbler, just keep an eye on the top so it doesn't drop too fast. How did it get so hot?

Okay, will do. I floated some ice cubes and the temp dropped by 0.5'C. Honestly, I have no idea. I'll be shutting off the lights once the photoperiod is over, so hopefully the temp will drop, but I doubt it's the lighting. Could be the pump for the inflow.

I finally gave Comet (the female YCG) away. Am going to miss her, but it's for her own good. I'm still keeping Cosmo (male YCG) and he's very active. Swims about and perches frequently on all my corals. His favorite is the green pagoda cup coral that I have.

I'm also thinking of adding the clown pair either tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Gives time for the filtration to catch up. Plus I can't wait for them to interact. :)

In the meantime, I've already ordered a Clown Blenny and Hi-Fin Goby through my LFS. Shipment should arrive sometime next week or the week after. I honestly can't wait to QT them and then add them later.

Nearly forgot about this thread lol. :P

1. I added a fuge light for my Chaeto -> it's my old secondhand nano light, the 16.8W LED Aquazonic. Had to make wooden splints using ice cream sticks/tongue depressors since the supporting beams for the light had corroded and snapped.

2. My skimmer also seems to be wet-skimming a lot, but at least it is working decently.

3. I also bought a soap holder rack which I plan to convert into a frag rack.

4. And here's a shot of my Galaxea, doing much more better than the first day I got it.

5. Also managed to acquire some Maroon People Eater Zoas. My T5s and dad's camera doesn't do the pic justice.

6. Cosmo seems to love perching on the new Zoa colony!

7. And here's Cosmo again. :)

8. Lord Sauron, my Monkey Shrimp.

9. My purple zoas have also finally opened up.

10. And here's Athena and Zeus together, who've just been added to the DT this morning. Both clowns did their usual shimmy-dance and now stick together. Currently they're hosting my in-tank fuge box lol.

11. All three of my fish together: Zeus, Athena and Cosmo.

12. FTS on 11/11/2013

I've had this guy with me for over 3 months. And he's never touched any corals or livestock - in fact, he runs off when he sees my Blood Fire Shrimp. :huh:

And don't worry, I knew they weren't reef-safe, but I was lucky with this fellow. The most he's ever done is scavenge for scraps of food whenever I feed the tank.

Shadow breaks all the rules :P

I just know that fish-eating green brittle star is going to grow into a 10 foot monster and crawl out of her tank and eat shadow in her sleep! :eek::scarry:

I'm a huge chicken, I don't even trust emerald crabs or peppermint shrimp.

Idk how you sleep at night shadow!

Shadow breaks all the rules :P

I just know that fish-eating green brittle star is going to grow into a 10 foot monster and crawl out of her tank and eat shadow in her sleep! :eek::scarry:

I'm a huge chicken, I don't even trust emerald crabs or peppermint shrimp.

Idk how you sleep at night shadow!

LOL! Tam, Sir Raj (the brittle star) is pretty docile and such a sweetheart. He only accepts target-fed pellets and mysis and chopped shrimp pieces. He's never hurt anything in the tank so far. Plus my dad is exceptionally fond of him. :P

And no worries, I'll keep a close eye on the Saron/Monkey shrimp. ;)

I never heard of a monkey shrimp but it sure looks like he'd mimic sandcolor pretty well.

Yes, but he changes into this gorgeous shade of red when the lights are out.

LOL! Tam, Sir Raj (the brittle star) is pretty docile and such a sweetheart. He only accepts target-fed pellets and mysis and chopped shrimp pieces. He's never hurt anything in the tank so far. Plus my dad is exceptionally fond of him. :P

And no worries, I'll keep a close eye on the Saron/Monkey shrimp. ;)

That is just what he wants you to think. He has to get you on his good side so he can grow into a large killer monster! eeeek!

Srs though.. they are wild animals driven by instinct so don't turn your back on them. They might get youuu! :)

Just remember that inverts are basically machines. They don't learn and they don't train from anything. It's going to do what it's going to do. That's why I say keep an eye on it.

That is just what he wants you to think. He has to get you on his good side so he can grow into a large killer monster! eeeek!

Srs though.. they are wild animals driven by instinct so don't turn your back on them. They might get youuu! :)

Just remember that inverts are basically machines. They don't learn and they don't train from anything. It's going to do what it's going to do. That's why I say keep an eye on it.

Alright, I shall keep an eye on it. Any sign of corals mysteriously being munched on and I'll return it back to the store ASAP.

Archived