inTank Media Baskets

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

Really sorry to hear you lost the tank...know exactly how you feel. You should be very proud of what you were able to accomplish. Its unfortunate you lost the tank due to something totally out of your control but at least it wasnt negligence. I do disagree about needing fancy equipment, or dslrs or fancy corals to have a successful reef as Ive seen dozens of tanks that lack all those things yet look beautiful and have healthy and happy inhabitants.

Hopefully when the dust settles and you have some time to clear your head and try some other things youll return to reefing with the same enthusiasm ive seen throughout this thread. Until then best wishes and get well.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rehype said it all! You'll be back lol, the force is strong with reefing!

Get well and look forward to seeing your resurrection thread.

Sorry about your tank loss and that you had to work with your bad hand. I worry about the bacteria being exposed to your wound and hope it doesn't negatively impact it as it's not a covered wound. You probably will need to hold off until you're healed and then decide what's best. Maybe in your area with fumigation & all it would be best to stick w/ frehswater. You have some awesome cichlids!

Just lost my citron and my last two largest trochus snails. Halloween hermit turned out to be molting and is still alive. Relatively small compensation since everyone else is pretty much dead or dying. Can't do anything much since I'm in pain and due for another hospital visit in a day, so I'll let nature take its course. And I think dropping off the grid for a while will be good as well.

You know something? I used to believe and hope that minimalistic setups with not-too-expensive equipment could pull you through this hobby. I was wrong. You need money - a lot of it, with branded equipment, fancy corals and a DSLR camera to be a successful reefer. Two years later and I still don't know sh#t about reefing - guess the Msian a$$wipes on the local forums were right after all. Only the reefers with pro equipment, expensive corals and super-sharp cameras were hailed successful. My most longest-running tank was the 8G until it cracked. It was almost nine-months-old.

So I'll commit that little tank to memory and see what happens. Thinking of tearing apart this tank and maybe keeping a turtle or two instead. They're hell lot cheaper and easier to maintain, and the chances of them dying on me are nil. Sigh.

Best of luck everyone. Thanks to everyone who helped and even took your time to befriend me on this forum. I really appreciated all your kind words and gestures.

~Shadow

say it ain't so shadow! i am heart broken for you and

your critters and corals. :tears:

i'm so so sorry. and this was not your fault at all.

it was just terrible luck. *hugs* you're a fantastic

reefer and i loved looking at all your fotos!

are you in malaysia? tbh, the fumagation

is worrying to me. i mean, if that happened

to your tank and it wasn't even in your house

or flat? :(

• 2 weeks later...
Snow_Phoenix

Really sorry to hear you lost the tank...know exactly how you feel. You should be very proud of what you were able to accomplish. Its unfortunate you lost the tank due to something totally out of your control but at least it wasnt negligence. I do disagree about needing fancy equipment, or dslrs or fancy corals to have a successful reef as Ive seen dozens of tanks that lack all those things yet look beautiful and have healthy and happy inhabitants.

Hopefully when the dust settles and you have some time to clear your head and try some other things youll return to reefing with the same enthusiasm ive seen throughout this thread. Until then best wishes and get well.

Rehype said it all! You'll be back lol, the force is strong with reefing!

Get well and look forward to seeing your resurrection thread.

Sorry about your tank loss and that you had to work with your bad hand. I worry about the bacteria being exposed to your wound and hope it doesn't negatively impact it as it's not a covered wound. You probably will need to hold off until you're healed and then decide what's best. Maybe in your area with fumigation & all it would be best to stick w/ frehswater. You have some awesome cichlids!

say it ain't so shadow! i am heart broken for you and

your critters and corals. :tears:

i'm so so sorry. and this was not your fault at all.

it was just terrible luck. *hugs* you're a fantastic

reefer and i loved looking at all your fotos!

are you in malaysia? tbh, the fumagation

is worrying to me. i mean, if that happened

to your tank and it wasn't even in your house

or flat? :(

I resurrected the tank from the dead:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/358797-phoenixs-16g-rebirth/

And I changed my name as well - brand new start, brand new everything.

• 3 weeks later...
Snow_Phoenix

Just to bump this thread up so that some of my subscribers can tag along:

Here's my new thread once again:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/358797-phoenixs-16g-rebirth-pics/

I've officially changed my name from ShadowLurker to Snow_Phoenix, so I'm sorry if there's any confusion. I'm still me though, with all my eccentricity and risky moves. However, I'm more careful with my new tank. I currently have a variety of inverts, corals, macro, 2 lovely True Percula Clowns (Orion and Nebula) and a lovely male Mandy named Hercules.

Here's a current glimpse of my tank:

L5xr5YJ.png\

Follow my new thread to find out more! See you guys there! :)

Sorry about your tank. Being from the tropics myself, spraying for mosquitoes is quite common. It was done in my neighborhood, too, but that was some time before I had my tank. What was done at our house was spraying for termites. The pesticide was mostly injected into the walls but some was also applied on the surface. I had to move my reptiles outside for a few hours and covered the fish tank with a thick sheet. Thankfully nothing happened. And I'll have to agree with Rehype on not needing very fancy and expensive equipment and imported corals. Success is a relative term anyway and you have to admit you did feel a sense of accomplishment on what you've achieved so far. Anyways, very nice new tank. Wish I had true percs but they're expensive here. Following along on your new thread. :)

My hats off to you Shadow. What a brave soul you are. Your comment about being deemed successful at reef keeping by others requires $$ more than anything else rings so true. I wish you the best. Forrest

Snow_Phoenix

Sorry about your tank. Being from the tropics myself, spraying for mosquitoes is quite common. It was done in my neighborhood, too, but that was some time before I had my tank. What was done at our house was spraying for termites. The pesticide was mostly injected into the walls but some was also applied on the surface. I had to move my reptiles outside for a few hours and covered the fish tank with a thick sheet. Thankfully nothing happened. And I'll have to agree with Rehype on not needing very fancy and expensive equipment and imported corals. Success is a relative term anyway and you have to admit you did feel a sense of accomplishment on what you've achieved so far. Anyways, very nice new tank. Wish I had true percs but they're expensive here. Following along on your new thread. :)

Nice to meet someone from the tropics as well. :)

So far we don't spray for termites unless you truly do have an infestation, but it's dengue season and people are falling sick almost every single week, so they've been spraying/fogging the houses and suburbs like crazy. Now I just cover all my tank tops whenever I'm heading out and shut all the doors/windows every evening before I leave the house to prevent what has happened from happening again.

True Perculas are also very expensive here. A bonded pair goes for RM 150, but I bought two separate clowns - one at RM 70 and the other at RM 65 (after a lot of haggling), and paired them up after some difficulty. I'm glad they're now together and inseparable, but I genuinely hope they live long happy lives like my very first pair of clowns - a Percula x Occy mix.

I guess it took me a while to re-evaluate what success in reefing means once I let myself lament in self-pity for a while. Rehype does have a point - some of the most amazing tanks have been set up with the most minimal equipment. A local reefer in my local forum had a gorgeous SPS tank with less equipment than I had! :o It was stunning. :wub:

My hats off to you Shadow. What a brave soul you are. Your comment about being deemed successful at reef keeping by others requires $$ more than anything else rings so true. I wish you the best. Forrest

Thank you, Aviator. But I admit I have had a change of heart since I typed down that paragraph. Although you do see fancy setups often winning TOTMs and competitions and the like, there are also equally beautiful simplistic tanks which are equally successful, if you know where to look. Don't give up yet. ;)

Archived