Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

My mother captured some images of my corals using her Samsung Grand. It's not 100% clear, but she was happily sharing them on her FB wall, so I thought of sharing them on here as well. My folks are so far very supportive when it comes to my tank, provided that I don't spend all my earnings on it. Otherwise, we pretty much enjoy watching the progress of the tank together as a family, and that's my greatest reward in this hobby thus far. :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently one of my reefing mentors has decided to give me an early birthday/Christmas present in the form of a pellet-trained dragonet. Now, before you wave your pitchforks and kill me, I want to say that I rejected the offer several times until I eventually relented because the dragonet's being pulled out of an over-bio-loaded 180G DT which houses easily two dozen anthias and five other dragonets (including scooters).

Rather than selling it off, my reefer friend/mentor decided to give it to me because he believes I'll take good care of it. -facepalm-

Apparently it's from SG and an imported ORA dragonet (or whatever that means), so it costs a hefty $$. The only thing is that I want to get the guy/gal on frozen as well, so I am heading out to pick up an extra breeder box (my present one is old and falling apart), some freeze dried Tubifex worms and some live Tubifex and black worms. I've been reading and researching a lot for the past few days, and been watching the techniques outlined by one Matt Pedersen.

I've made a deal with my friend - if the dragonet doesn't eat pellets (as he claims it does) or frozen stuff, I'm returning it to him. He agreed.

I'm cranking up my skimmer to the max as well since the new addition will put a slight strain on the bioload. Seems like I'm stocking too quickly, and I'm not very happy about it. But, if I turn down my friend to many times, it means I'm ungrateful (it's a cultural thing) and basically a total jerk.

So I'm going to pull along and see how it goes first. Am going to drop by the wet market and get some fish and prawn roe if I can as well. If not, I have my blended mysis/brine/shrimp/phyto mix in the fridge as well. Basically I'm experimenting with different food types. I just hope the new fish accepts Hikari Marine S and Nutrafin Max pellets.

I'm nervous as hell. Eheh.

Okay, things have definitely taken a quick turn. I realize I am going too fast, and it'll be detrimental in the long run. So for the sake of the livestock in my tank, I'm only taking the dragonet in a few weeks time, and not anytime soon.

With that being said, this significantly alters my plans. I initially wanted to do a Hi-Fin Goby, a clown blenny and possibly a dottyback of some sort. But now I am only going to add the Pictus blenny because the bioload is tiny with that fish.

So I'd like as many people to chime in and give me as much constructive feedback as possible. Will this stocking plan work for my tank?

2 Juvi Occy Clownfish

1 YCG

1 Sixline Wrasse

1 Green Mandarin

1 Pictus Blenny

Including a variety of inverts and corals.

Or will this whole setup end in a complete and utter disaster? I understand that I'm going too fast, so I'm slowing down. At the same time, I know it's overstocking, but I've already planned on overstocking my tank since I first laid eyes on it. I will be also amping up water changes to 40% weekly, and putting my skimmer to the max output. The skimmer is technically meant for a 125G tank, and it's already running at 50% capacity atm for my 30G.

So...any guidance/tips/advice/feedback would be appreciated.

Hi fin goby :(

:(

I really, really want him. I really do. My Candycane Pistol is literally wasting away without a cohort. But I can't. The Mandarin changes the playing field significantly. Unless I want to risk a tank crash, I really can't do it, Chew. -sigh-

On top of all that, I just received a call that my grandad is dying and currently in a coma. I'm already waiting for an emergency flight to take my mum and I up north. So much death this year in my family. And all I can think and hope for is that the tank will be okay when I'm gone. :(

:(

I really, really want him. I really do. My Candycane Pistol is literally wasting away without a cohort. But I can't. The Mandarin changes the playing field significantly. Unless I want to risk a tank crash, I really can't do it, Chew. -sigh-

On top of all that, I just received a call that my grandad is dying and currently in a coma. I'm already waiting for an emergency flight to take my mum and I up north. So much death this year in my family. And all I can think and hope for is that the tank will be okay when I'm gone. :(

Choices... I love mandarins but I love those hi fins more so that's where I'd go. Plus they're easier to keep.

:(:(:( About your grandpa. I lost my grandmother this past year and my grandfather's sister passed recently. I was a pallbearer at both, had never done anything like that before.

Choices... I love mandarins but I love those hi fins more so that's where I'd go. Plus they're easier to keep.

:(:(:( About your grandpa. I lost my grandmother this past year and my grandfather's sister passed recently. I was a pallbearer at both, had never done anything like that before.

I agree with you, the Hi-Fin is virtually zero maintenance. The Mandy will be challenging, even if it's pellet-trained. But there's something within me that wants to give it a try and rise up to that challenge. Call it an idiot streak, but hey, you'd never know if you don't try.

And I'm sorry for your losses Chew. I lost both my senior therapy dog and my hamster to cancer within the past two months. My grandad is 87 though, but he's bedridden and suffering. We're all just flying up to say our goodbyes one last time. This year has been a year of losses for me personally. I honestly can't wait for 2014. A new year = new start = new hope.

It's worse when it's drawn out like that. My grandmother had Alzheimer's and once it started progressing it got kinda bad. It took almost two years before it was over. It was weird for me though. I worked in nursing homes and skilled nursing as a CMA and a CNA for a couple years and I saw it on a very regular basis and I was almost indifferent to it when it happened to someone in my own family.

I'm not sure I would trust just a skimmer alone to make up for overstocking (depending how far you go with it, your current list looks fine though depending on the mandy). Many people with larger tanks run more than just a skimmer and some people run it on nano's too! Theres the "old tank syndrome" thing too.

Skimmer + GFO + Carbon

Skimmer + Carbon + Lots of Macro

Skimmer + Vodka/biopellets/vinegar (and maybe GFO or macro)

Skimmer + zeo

Skimmer + probiotics

Some like deep sand beds too.

I've overstocked before and tank did fine with just water changes every week. Skimmer on top would be gravy! Of course every tank is different.

I've overstocked before and tank did fine with just water changes every week. Skimmer on top would be gravy! Of course every tank is different.

My tank would crash for sure with just water changes or at least be an algae farm. I put in like 2-3 cubes of unwashed food a day + coral food.

As I said... depends how far you take it. Like to 6+ mandarins lol

I don't dare do large water changes with a maxima clam though so those can't really make up for it that way.

It's worse when it's drawn out like that. My grandmother had Alzheimer's and once it started progressing it got kinda bad. It took almost two years before it was over. It was weird for me though. I worked in nursing homes and skilled nursing as a CMA and a CNA for a couple years and I saw it on a very regular basis and I was almost indifferent to it when it happened to someone in my own family.

Yeah, it's pretty bad when it's dragged out, but it is what it is. For now, I'm safe and sound at my grandmother's (just arrived by flight) and I'll be dropping by the ICU tomorrow morning to visit my grandad.

Ahhh damn! Sorry to hear, Shadow. :( Thoughts with you and the family.

Thanks, Sunar. It's a tough time for the family all over. :(

I'm not sure I would trust just a skimmer alone to make up for overstocking (depending how far you go with it, your current list looks fine though depending on the mandy). Many people with larger tanks run more than just a skimmer and some people run it on nano's too! Theres the "old tank syndrome" thing too.

Skimmer + GFO + Carbon

Skimmer + Carbon + Lots of Macro

Skimmer + Vodka/biopellets/vinegar (and maybe GFO or macro)

Skimmer + zeo

Skimmer + probiotics

Some like deep sand beds too.

Currently I'm running a Skimmer + Carbon + Lots of Macro. Can you explain the probiotics bit to me? I know the human supplement, but this is the first time I'm hearing of probiotics for fish. Or are you referring to continuous addition of stuff like Microbacter 7? :)

Wow! I used to do the same with my 12G Hex - no skimmer and just regular water changes, and the tank did quite well as well. But as you said, every system is different. :)

My tank would crash for sure with just water changes or at least be an algae farm. I put in like 2-3 cubes of unwashed food a day + coral food.

As I said... depends how far you take it. Like to 6+ mandarins lol

I don't dare do large water changes with a maxima clam though so those can't really make up for it that way.

This is what worries me the most. An algae bloom can be dealt with, but a tank crash is severe and causes the death of livestock, usually due to the tank owner's own stupidity. And since I can be such a derp at times, I want to play on the safe side for once. Granted, I don't feed the tank frozen very often - just a pinch every twice a week. Most of the time it's just a light sprinkle of pellets and that's enough to sate everyone.

Okay, things have definitely taken a quick turn. I realize I am going too fast, and it'll be detrimental in the long run. So for the sake of the livestock in my tank, I'm only taking the dragonet in a few weeks time, and not anytime soon.

With that being said, this significantly alters my plans. I initially wanted to do a Hi-Fin Goby, a clown blenny and possibly a dottyback of some sort. But now I am only going to add the Pictus blenny because the bioload is tiny with that fish.

So I'd like as many people to chime in and give me as much constructive feedback as possible. Will this stocking plan work for my tank?

2 Juvi Occy Clownfish

1 YCG

1 Sixline Wrasse

1 Green Mandarin

1 Pictus Blenny

Including a variety of inverts and corals.

Or will this whole setup end in a complete and utter disaster? I understand that I'm going too fast, so I'm slowing down. At the same time, I know it's overstocking, but I've already planned on overstocking my tank since I first laid eyes on it. I will be also amping up water changes to 40% weekly, and putting my skimmer to the max output. The skimmer is technically meant for a 125G tank, and it's already running at 50% capacity atm for my 30G.

So...any guidance/tips/advice/feedback would be appreciated.

No Sixline and I think it'll work.

+1 1.0. The sixline is the biggest concern.

Oh ya you will have to feed more with a Mandy obviously is all I ment. I ment to say probdibio. My brain sometimes.... gets scattered.

Okay, I shall try and see if I can rehome Benny the Sixline. Of course, the toughest part would be catching him. And letting my mum know (because it is her fish after all). And yes, I guess the frequency of feedings will have to be increased as well. Boy, this is going to get tough.

I dropped by Port Dickson today on the way back South. One of my younger cousins pointed out a spotted moon crab during our stroll at the beach and one thing led to another and eventually I came back home with some Feather Caulerpa, Gracilaria, red brush algae and tons of tiny white hermit crabs. This will be the CUC and macro for my 12G stingy nano setup.

Of course, the 12G is nowhere near ready to hold any livestock, so I had to temporarily put the caulerpa, gracilaria and red brush in the fuge basket of my 30G.

And the same applied to all my new fellow hermits:

Aren't they cute? :D

And I also attached a breeder box (with protective mesh) to my 30G in preparation of the future mandy in weeks to come.

That's it for now. :)

Some quick pics:

1. My mushroom colony up close!

2. The Forest Green Galaxea is doing really well. So far I've spotted easily half a dozen new polyps.

3. Octofrogspawn in full bloom.

4. Cosmo on patrol. ;)

5. New unidentified LPS/softie coral. It has a strange lavender-hued base with brownish projections.

6. Hitchiker feather duster worm on a new pink Goni frag that I purchased today.

7. My white hermit crab army patiently awaiting orders from the sump. :P

8. Lord Sauron, the Saron shrimp, in all his red glory during night time stealth mode.

9. FTS on 2/12/2013.

Just to keep everyone updated - I got a new job! Yay! :D I'll be starting some time tomorrow, and of course, my earnings will tend to peak based on my performance, so more money = more cool stuff to buy = more corals! :D

Archived