Cultivated Reef

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

Hi fins are really nice and fun little fish. I had one a long time ago.

I used to have one as well. He died when lightning took out my nano Hex. :(

A short vid of my tank! Sorry for the lack of clarity. I'm using a really old, outdated camera.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I've succumbed to this madness. I have decided to do a GSP wall of my own. Hoping that it'll grow and cover a good portion of the back in the next few months or so. Of course, I'd have to buy the coral first. So I may or may not pick it up tomorrow. I love GSP. It's crazy and green, and I think a better choice over the mini maxi carpet nem I was originally planning on getting.

What do you guys think?

Yes, I've succumbed to this madness. I have decided to do a GSP wall of my own. Hoping that it'll grow and cover a good portion of the back in the next few months or so. Of course, I'd have to buy the coral first. So I may or may not pick it up tomorrow. I love GSP. It's crazy and green, and I think a better choice over the mini maxi carpet nem I was originally planning on getting.

What do you guys think?

Love the idea. When you have the GSP make sure you place it on the wall high enough to where it will spread without having to trim. Because if it is on the bottom of the wall it will grow towards your sand.

What does your little yellow clown goby eat? She eats some mysis shrimp, little pieces, and I think some cyclopeeze- I've been feeding my tank everyday just to get her to eat as she's looking skinny. Karat does go after food, I don't know how much she's getting because the other fish are all faster. I've considered putting her in the Evolve, get her to a healthier weight and so she gets used to going after food/without a race and then put her back in but I'm not sure though if that would help or hurt in the end.

Considering the carpet may munch on fish, yes it's a better choice. Dang weeds! I'm sure it'll look nice though. :)

Yes, I googled up mini maxis and unless I keep a separate tank, it might eat my YCG by accident someday. :(

If you like it, do it!!! I refuse to get wrapped up in what other people think is 'cool'.

I know it's a fad right now, but I do like it on a personal level, so I thought: Why not go for it? :D

Great looking tank Shadow! Love the vid! W-

Thank you, Ward! :)

Love the idea. When you have the GSP make sure you place it on the wall high enough to where it will spread without having to trim. Because if it is on the bottom of the wall it will grow towards your sand.

Oh, I'm hoping that they'll sell me some for under RM 50 - that's all the extra money that I have at this moment! And thanks for the tip - will keep it glued/propped against the wall!

What does your little yellow clown goby eat? She eats some mysis shrimp, little pieces, and I think some cyclopeeze- I've been feeding my tank everyday just to get her to eat as she's looking skinny. Karat does go after food, I don't know how much she's getting because the other fish are all faster. I've considered putting her in the Evolve, get her to a healthier weight and so she gets used to going after food/without a race and then put her back in but I'm not sure though if that would help or hurt in the end.

He eats everything I throw into the tank - Repashy, bloodworms, frozen brine, frozen mysis, pellets etc. His favorite so far are Hikari Marine S pellets (because they're bite size) and mysis. He was brought in by one of my reefing mentors from Singapore, and already eating. And YCGs are a bit 'slow' to grab food, as you mentioned. Maybe it is a good idea for you to shift her into your Evolve and get her back on track first, or else she might waste away. It's better than doing nothing, IMO. ;)

I've never seen gsp as a fad, it's an easy coral to grow. I started it in my Evolve of course and still gave some to a friend, have it growing on the rock too in the little tank and a piece I set aside for fragging to continue w/ the gsp wall in the divided tank. It's beautiful, the brightest green I've seen and that's why I still had to have an accent rock in my 34, even if it's off to the side. I just love it. It likes light.

I've never seen gsp as a fad, it's an easy coral to grow. I started it in my Evolve of course and still gave some to a friend, have it growing on the rock too in the little tank and a piece I set aside for fragging to continue w/ the gsp wall in the divided tank. It's beautiful, the brightest green I've seen and that's why I still had to have an accent rock in my 34, even if it's off to the side. I just love it. It likes light.

Yeah, I find GSP very attractive as well. A friend of mine had half of his tank conquered by it - I initially thought it was a metallic green carpet nem from the way it looked lol.

And to keep everyone else updated, guess what? I found out what my mystery softy coral is! (I basically had this mysterious free softy coral from my LFS, and until it started sprouting red projections, I didn't know much about it)

It's this little guy:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+600+650&pcatid=650

:D

And I'll probably be hitting my LFS later at night and pick up a pom pom crab. :)

Ah, I have this type of zoa. Be careful of where you put it -- it grows pretty fast and I've seen it overtake smaller zoas.

Okay, noted. So far I've placed the colony on the sand, and have no intention of putting it on my rockwork so I think that should be alright.

Just wanted to ask - if you had a choice between a Purple Tipped Elegance, a long-tentacled flowerpot, a Green Hammer and GSP, which one would you choose and why?

I'm having a tough time picking out one option from the four listed for my tank. I love the look of the Hammer the most, but the others are equally tempting. And they're all equally priced, which makes this quadruply hard. :mellow:

The masses are going to say elegance, flowerpot or hammer. The "elite" will say elegance or flowerpot. I personally, for my tank, could only have the gsp because the others are or get far too big for my tank. (So that would be my own personal choice.)

For the sake of husbandry go with the hammer (provided it's not a wall hammer) or the gsp. If the gsp is the same price as the others you'r getting ripped off, unless it's enormous, if the hammer is a wall I wouldn't get it.

I like all of those, but the elegance and flowerpots have too much of a reputation of "woke up one day and it's dead after it was doing just fine" stuck to them. Same with wall hammers. They're fine one minute, melted the next.

So my final answer is: Hammer. But only if it's branching.

The masses are going to say elegance, flowerpot or hammer. The "elite" will say elegance or flowerpot. I personally, for my tank, could only have the gsp because the others are or get far too big for my tank. (So that would be my own personal choice.)

For the sake of husbandry go with the hammer (provided it's not a wall hammer) or the gsp. If the gsp is the same price as the others you'r getting ripped off, unless it's enormous, if the hammer is a wall I wouldn't get it.

I like all of those, but the elegance and flowerpots have too much of a reputation of "woke up one day and it's dead after it was doing just fine" stuck to them. Same with wall hammers. They're fine one minute, melted the next.

So my final answer is: Hammer. But only if it's branching.

Thanks for the opinion Chew. And the GSP is a huge colony, hence why it's priced the same as the rest. The hammer is a lone branch if I'm not mistaken. It's not exactly a wall but a cross of both shapes - it's a bit difficult to explain. Polyps are fully extended and it looks like a fluffy ball.

Hmmm...I guess I'll go with the hammer then. It's something new after all. My mum was trying to weasel in another Elegance, but I told her to wait first. I want to observe my current Elegance for the next few weeks and see how it fares in the tank first. So far it's been quite good - feeding on mysis, Phyto and Repashy bits. Even my Gonios are doing okay.

If my budget is too tight though, I might get a small flowerpot colony, but as you said, husbandry comes first. Poor husbandry can nuke a tank, so I'll be keeping a close eye on all my parameters in the meantime. Hmm,

I'd say go for something new. Also something that best fits the parameters of your tank.

Oh, what type of repashy are you feeding to your tank? I know they make stuff for reptiles and freshwater, but I wasn't aware of any saltwater products

EDIT:

Just checked the repashy website, and sure enough there they are lol. Which one/s are you using? How do you like them?

I'd say go for something new. Also something that best fits the parameters of your tank.

Oh, what type of repashy are you feeding to your tank? I know they make stuff for reptiles and freshwater, but I wasn't aware of any saltwater products

EDIT:

Just checked the repashy website, and sure enough there they are lol. Which one/s are you using? How do you like them?

Yeah, that was why I was thinking of the hammer first. I already have two Gonis and an Elegance, and wanted something 'fresh' to look at.

I'm feeding Spawn and Grow. My fish and corals love it, but one must be careful not to overfeed the tank or risk the wrath of Cyano. <_<

The tougher-to-feed corals however, such as the Elegance and Goni, enjoy it immensely. I'm getting full polyp extension almost everyday since I started feed Repashy daily. But now I'm lessening the feedings to only a pinch every two days because I'm getting a lot of dirty skimmate, which is usually a signal that there's excess nutrients in the water. My zoas seem to be thriving though. :o

hmm yeah, reading the descriptions I thought that if I used any of them it would be spawn and grow, but I also saw this in the description: "This diet is high in fat and is not intended as a staple diet. Spawn and Grow Saltwater is intended for temporary use only."

BUT, this is what drew me to it: "It contains high levels of essential fatty acids and a balanced ratio of EPA to DHA. It also contains additional Arachidonic Acid (ARA), which is considered by many to be an essential fatty acid in Marine fish who are not able to synthesize it from the conversion of Alpha Linolenic Acid."

I'm imagine the same way it affects most vertebrates -- they get fat lol. Fatty liver disease?

Also, as an aside I like how repashy has a product called "morning wood"

That's why I'm lessening the feedings - as stated, the product itself isn't a long-term solution for feeding tough-eaters. It's good at training fish like Mandys and stopping them from starving, but I don't know how detrimental it can be on a fish's health in the long-run. Hvani uses several other types of Repashy - Soilent and Predator, if I'm not mistaken. Those aren't as high in fat as the Spawn and Grow one. :)

Hammmmmmerrrrrrrrr! GSP you can get a tiny frag and you'll have a ton in no time anyhow.

I'm so tempted to pinch off a frag from the mother colony of GSP at my LFS when no one is looking. Don't give me anymore ideas, Sunar! :P

And I was saving up for the hammer. :)

Archived