Pod Your Reef

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I have a wall hammer. It's finicky about placement and flow, but not that bad. If you look at pics of my hammer, you can get the idea of what a wall hammer looks like. They are supposed to be slower growers than branching too.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I'm pretty sure what I saw was a wall hammer then. Only it resembled a cauliflower more than anything. :P

So now comes another question - do I get the cheaper Green Wall Hammer, or the more expensive Orange Wall Hammer?

Right now I can afford the green one, but if I pile up another 20, I can do the Orange. :o

Guess I'll have to hoard some extra money in that case. :P

Let's hope the orange doesn't get sold off quickly in that case. Also, hopefully it's healthy as well. The last time I checked the Green Hammers had their polyps fully extended under T5 and Maxspect combos at my LFS, but the Orange remained demure.

Oh, I forgot to mention - I got a mini frag of green zoas with orange eyes today for approx. U$D10. :) I'll get some pictures up tomorrow. Pity my T5s don't do my coral colors justice. Under LEDs, these guys are real stunners. Some of them even glow!

You could add an LED strip for more pop. I love LED's. :)

I'm actually slowly saving up for a Maxspect. Am switching jobs once again (I'm so picky-choosy) and will probably get a Maxspect 120W Razor sometime middle to end of next year. :)

The tougher-to-feed corals however, such as the Elegance and Goni, enjoy it immensely.

Your elegance is a picky eater? Mine eats everything. Asterinias, britsleworms, snails. Oh and food. I think it eats more than the rest of the tank combined

Your elegance is a picky eater? Mine eats everything. Asterinias, britsleworms, snails. Oh and food. I think it eats more than the rest of the tank combined

Mine is slightly picky. Took him a while to eat Mysis. He loves phyto-zoo though. :)

Oh, and a more updated note, I've sold off my Mandy. New owner is coming to pick him up pretty soon. I've however, decided to get an Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2124+195&pcatid=195

alongside with a Candycane Pistol shrimp. I think the Hi-Fin is too small for my tank, and is too timid. I need something large, but not overly large like a Diamond Watchman, and something small, but not overly small like a Neon Goby. So I believe this fish would be perfect - he only maxes out at 3.5" according to LA, and also has some fantastic coloring. He will be my final fish though. I doubt I'll get the Pictus blenny, unless I want to risk the wrath of the tank Gods.

So my future stocking will be:

2 Juvi Occy clowns

1 YCG

1 Sixline Wrasse

1 Yellowtail Damsel

1 Orange spotted shrimp Goby

Although the tank can handle another small fish, I don't think I want to jeopardize the system. I'll wait another month or two before adding the shrimp Goby though. :)

Snow_Phoenix

Just wanted to swing by and wish everyone a blessed New Year! :)

On top of all that, I went to my LFS and the orange hammer was in quite poor shape, so I've decided to opt for the green hammer instead. Might be getting it end of this week or sometime next week. :)

Snow_Phoenix

Well, I was saving up my money for the Hammer. Turns out today was my mum's birthday, and no one got her a cake. I felt kinda bad because I knew she was eyeing on this Coffee Walnut cake at Seasons for a while now, but it also came with a hefty pricetag. So I decided to make a choice - either get the Hammer or my mum a birthday cake. I opted for the latter. It cost a good $48, but it was worth every penny.

And I made her day. :)

I figured the Hammer isn't going to run away from my LFS, and even if someone does purchase it, I'll patiently wait for the upcoming shipments. There's bound to be a Hammer squeezed into the shipping list somewhere, sometime. :)

Tank is doing overall well, something has spawned in the water and left a trail of stringy eggs behind - I didn't manage to siphon all of it out, but I'll be as soon as I return from work after tomorrow. Am also fattening up my Mandy before giving him away - he's enjoying the 30G so far and sleeps under the leather toadstool faithfully every single night. So far only my Damsel, Ocean, has an issue with him, but skirmishes are far-fetched and both fish seem to be smart enough not to squabble when I'm looking. Either way, Michael is moving out to a 6' long tank - so hopefully he'll be way happier there. :)

Snow_Phoenix

Hey! Family first! Good choice. :)

The stringy egg thing may be snail eggs.

Aha, I knew it! It seemed to be smeared all over my shrooms though. Guess I'll do some more siphoning out tomorrow then. Thanks for the info, Sunar! :)

Snow_Phoenix

Sure thing :) I never bother removing them...I figure something in the tank will eat them. LOL

I spotted my Sixline pecking at them, but they were still covered in a slimy sac of sorts, so I think I'll try to break the sac open and see if the eggs can provide an impromptu meal for my fish. I know when I scrub the Nass snail eggs off the backdrop of my tank, all my fish hurry forwards to grab a bite lol. :P

Angel<3Nanos
Well, I was saving up my money for the Hammer. Turns out today was my mum's birthday, and no one got her a cake. I felt kinda bad because I knew she was eyeing on this Coffee Walnut cake at Seasons for a while now, but it also came with a hefty pricetag. So I decided to make a choice - either get the Hammer or my mum a birthday cake. I opted for the latter. It cost a good $48, but it was worth every penny.

And I made her day. :)

I figured the Hammer isn't going to run away from my LFS, and even if someone does purchase it, I'll patiently wait for the upcoming shipments. There's bound to be a Hammer squeezed into the shipping list somewhere, sometime. :)

Tank is doing overall well, something has spawned in the water and left a trail of stringy eggs behind - I didn't manage to siphon all of it out, but I'll be as soon as I return from work after tomorrow. Am also fattening up my Mandy before giving him away - he's enjoying the 30G so far and sleeps under the leather toadstool faithfully every single night. So far only my Damsel, Ocean, has an issue with him, but skirmishes are far-fetched and both fish seem to be smart enough not to squabble when I'm looking. Either way, Michael is moving out to a 6' long tank - so hopefully he'll be way happier there. :)

Aww :wub:

2 Coincidences here- it's my mother's birthday as well!

Ha, I didn't realize you had named your damsel Ocean. That's what I call my Yellow Damselfish and my Royal Gramma in the Dueling Mantids tank is called Precious. Tacky but you know.

Snow_Phoenix

2 Coincidences here- it's my mother's birthday as well!

Ha, I didn't realize you had named your damsel Ocean. That's what I call my Yellow Damselfish and my Royal Gramma in the Dueling Mantids tank is called Precious. Tacky but you know.

Wow, those are wicked coincidences! :P

My mum named him Ocean because of his strong blue coloring. I know it sounds pretty common, but for some reason the name suited him.

Lots of mom bdays piled up eh? My mom's was the 31st.

Lol, Chew! Bet your mum had a good and memorable birthday as well last year! :)

I'm only a mom to my cocker spaniel Hagen but my b-day is 1/15!

My parents love Spaniels. They've been pining for one like crazy, but for some reason we always, always end up with a mischevious terrier of sorts. :)

Snow_Phoenix

Btw, if anyone is still reading - I'm thinking of getting a Maxspect Razor 120W LED light for my tank. I have glass bracings on the side of the tank which can allow the light to be propped higher to avoid shadows - but I can't hang the light (basically my folks will murder me if I drill a hole in the ceiling). The cost of the light will be RM 1450 which is roughly U$D500. Very, very expensive.

But heck, it's worth it in the long run. And I can finally keep some Gorgs and a clam or two.

So is this a yay-yay or nay-yay?

Angel<3Nanos
Btw, if anyone is still reading - I'm thinking of getting a Maxspect Razor 120W LED light for my tank. I have glass bracings on the side of the tank which can allow the light to be propped higher to avoid shadows - but I can't hang the light (basically my folks will murder me if I drill a hole in the ceiling). The cost of the light will be RM 1450 which is roughly U$D500. Very, very expensive.

But heck, it's worth it in the long run. And I can finally keep some Gorgs and a clam or two.

So is this a yay-yay or nay-yay?

I've never used the razor myself but I say go for it. I've heard good reviews about them. Or if you can get a nanobox, that would be better. :)

Snow_Phoenix

I've never used the razor myself but I say go for it. I've heard good reviews about them. Or if you can get a nanobox, that would be better. :)

Okay, I'll look into a nanobox as well. Not sure if my LFS stocks them, but I know they stock Orpheks, Maxspects and Hydras. :P

Archived