Coral Vue Hydros

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

Good news! My Elegance and Octo have both fully expanded after being fed some phyto + bloodworm + mysis + brine + tubifex + pellet mix. Now the leather has resumed sulking, but he always sulks one every fortnight, so I'm not too concerned yet.

I am however, picking up a Greenish-brown Hairy shroom, and a mixed colony of Eagle Eyes and Dragon Eyes from my LFS sometime end of this week or the next. (Basically I received some extra cash this Christmas, and I decided to get some simple corals for the tank)

I had my eye on a Pulsing Xenia stalk and some GSP, but my LFS is due for another coral shipment this Saturday, so I'm saving up more money to see if I can snag some better/easier-to-keep/less demanding corals for the time being. :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't give in to the weed'side! LOL Glad things are recovering and yay on the shrimp!

But but...I like GSP walls! :P

Yes, I am happy that things are recovering. And guess what! I rediscovered the 'dead' hermit crab few minutes ago. Turns out he changed shells and was mooching around the back right corner of the tank. Pfft. <_<

So that brings the total number of casualties down to zero! Everything survived! :D

Oh, and on a sidenote, I'm planning on writing up a book on the basics of Reefkeeping for my fellow local hobbyists. It might be in dual language or purely English, but mein God, we need all the help we can get right now on this side of the world. One guy actually stocked his tank full of SPS on the first day (I'm talking about 40 over colonies and frags here) without cycling or anything because he listened to his LFS. -facepalm-

Although the style of reefing varies a lot over here, I'm trying to slowly incorporate and promote the Western style of reefing into the Asian context because I believe it's more safer and livestock-friendly. It might take a while before I could publish though, but I'm doing as much research as I can atm. :)

LOL I like the looks but i'm too lazy to keep it in check. :D

Yay! Those stinkin molting inverts can get you every time!

Ouch! That probably didn't turn out well at all. Good luck with the book! When it's finally done hit me up i'd like to check it out. :)

LOL I like the looks but i'm too lazy to keep it in check. :D

Yay! Those stinkin molting inverts can get you every time!

Ouch! That probably didn't turn out well at all. Good luck with the book! When it's finally done hit me up i'd like to check it out. :)

Lol, but isn't that the best part of having a GSP wall - just let it run and grow freely all over? :P

I know! I find crab molts even spookier because they look EXACTLY like the live animal itself. Creepy.

Tell me about it. I was advising him to return the corals first or get one of his reefer friends to hold them for him. And thank you! I most certainly will hit you up when I get it out and published. Just a friendly warning, it might be in dual languages though! ;)

Oh, and on a sidenote, I'm planning on writing up a book on the basics of Reefkeeping for my fellow local hobbyists. It might be in dual language or purely English, but mein God, we need all the help we can get right now on this side of the world. One guy actually stocked his tank full of SPS on the first day (I'm talking about 40 over colonies and frags here) without cycling or anything because he listened to his LFS. -facepalm-

I don't think there's much point in actually writing a book unless you want to make money off of it. It would be much simpler to just create a topic on a forum with links going to each area you're trying to cover or just copy/paste with references and recognition for the original authors.

I don't think there's much point in actually writing a book unless you want to make money off of it. It would be much simpler to just create a topic on a forum with links going to each area you're trying to cover or just copy/paste with references and recognition for the original authors.

But, but...Chew, I love to write! :( And yeah, I guess I admit I do need money some way or another since I am saving up for Med school in the far future (and Postgrad Med school is super pricey). :o

So, what do the Asians do that differs so much with us? I had no idea there were such differences and now I'm intrigued.

I think the main problem with the Asian way is that we tend to stock our tanks far quicker, which can/can not be detrimental to the health of the tank. Also, most people here keep tangs in tanks as small as two feet. I was under a lot of pressure initially from some of the local reefers here when I refused to keep a tang in my tank. And the Asian style of reefing is slightly different in the sense of equipment (mostly China-made) and also how fast we do things. Some people jump into SPS without doing background research, which is a big problem.

I think the biggest problem so far is the lack of research. Most of the folk in my country for example, don't quite understand English very well, so they tend to rely on translations by the rest of the group. Which is why I was planning on a dual language book, so that local reefers can understand what they're doing/about to do with their tanks better.

Asians generally seem to heavily stock aquariums with fish from what i've seen also...though i'm sure you've seen a lot more and can say if that is true or not. LOL

Well, you are coming from a culture who apparently thinks it's perfectly fine to cram huge Koi into tanks at least 4x too small for them (all the restaurants here... ugh).

If you enjoy writing and want to put the time into then by all means, go for it. I highly recommend getting in touch with some of our published members, Albert and Paul, and get some pointers. Maybe even hit up Mark Callahan "Mr. Saltwater Tank."

Asians generally seem to heavily stock aquariums with fish from what i've seen also...though i'm sure you've seen a lot more and can say if that is true or not. LOL

Yes, this is true. Believe me, I've seen firsthand people with smaller tanks have 11 marine fish in it. -.-"

But the common perception here is that, 'If it dies, I'll just get a new one'. Which is sad, and which I'm hoping to change.

Well, you are coming from a culture who apparently thinks it's perfectly fine to cram huge Koi into tanks at least 4x too small for them (all the restaurants here... ugh).

If you enjoy writing and want to put the time into then by all means, go for it. I highly recommend getting in touch with some of our published members, Albert and Paul, and get some pointers. Maybe even hit up Mark Callahan "Mr. Saltwater Tank."

Ye-ouch. I agree with you there. My neighbour has a large koi pond with easily 20 koi fish. It's quite cramped in there.

I'll definitely get in touch with them when the time comes - thanks for all the recommendations, Chew. :)

Yes, this is true. Believe me, I've seen firsthand people with smaller tanks have 11 marine fish in it. -.-"

But the common perception here is that, 'If it dies, I'll just get a new one'. Which is sad, and which I'm hoping to change.

Outside of enthusiast forums that's how it is everywhere.

Quick question - I have an overstocked tank. Bioload, I'd say, is quite high or medium-high. Will I be able to do a small sand dweller like an orange spotted prawn goby or Hi-Fin goby or neon goby? (will be my final fish, I swear)

Current occupants:

1 Yellow Tail Damsel

1 Sixline Wrasse

1 Yellow Clown Goby

2 Juvi Occy Clownfish

1 Green brittle Star

4 Hermit Crabs

4 Nassarius Snails

6 Fancy Nassarius Snails

1 Hitchiker Clam

1 Blood Fire Shirmp

1 Saron Shrimp

1 White Spotted Anemone Shrimp

1 Daumi Reef Lobster (sump)

1 Chocolate Chip Starfish (sump)

1 Deep Red Linkia (sump)

Orange spots get BIG. They're not even on the same planet compared to the other two you listed. Every one I've seen in person has been around the 5" mark and only grew from there. Due to their feeding habits (from the sand sifting) I wouldn't even put one in a 40 gallon if it were the only fish in there.

I love hi fins. It's one of my favorite fish. Neon's are cool, I've never seen one in person though so I can't give an actual answer on them.

Orange spots get BIG. They're not even on the same planet compared to the other two you listed. Every one I've seen in person has been around the 5" mark and only grew from there. Due to their feeding habits (from the sand sifting) I wouldn't even put one in a 40 gallon if it were the only fish in there.

I love hi fins. It's one of my favorite fish. Neon's are cool, I've never seen one in person though so I can't give an actual answer on them.

Christ. I didn't know they get that large though! Okay, I'll axe out the Orange Spot and opt for either neon or Hi-Fin. :)

Okay, am looking at LA, and I love the look of a Wheeler's and Tangaroa Goby. They both look amazing. So now I'm thinking of either:

Wheeler's Shrimp Goby

Tangaroa Goby

Neon Goby

Yasha Goby

Hi-Fin Goby

Let's just say that a full grown orange spot can easily fit either the hi fin or the neon in it's mouth.

Yeah, and I just read they eat small shrimp as well - I have a white spotted nem shrimp that I'm fond of, so I'm taking this fish off my list.

Noooo! I don't like things that if I leave alone can overtake n kill my other corals! Well, things that grow fast and do that. LOL

tell that to Lalani's TOTM 10gal with a huge GSP wall :)

Some eye-candy for curious folk - one of my fellow reefer buddies tanks:

Okay, enough drooling. Back to my boring old tank:

New mixed Zoa colony:

Greenish-brown Hairy Mushroom:

Cosmo riding my Elegance and Dreamy People Eater Zoas! :D

Nim in the sump.

FTS on 26/12/2013.

tell that to Lalani's TOTM 10gal with a huge GSP wall :)

Tell her what? That it grows fast and needs to be watched? heh I never said it doesn't look good. No GSP, Xenia or Kenyas for me, thanks.

I'd do a Hi-Fin or Neon if you want. Just know y our bioload is high and keep up with water changes and i'd think you'd be fine.

Quick question - I have an overstocked tank. Bioload, I'd say, is quite high or medium-high. Will I be able to do a small sand dweller like an orange spotted prawn goby or Hi-Fin goby or neon goby? (will be my final fish, I swear)

Tell her what? That it grows fast and needs to be watched? heh I never said it doesn't look good. No GSP, Xenia or Kenyas for me, thanks.

I'd do a Hi-Fin or Neon if you want. Just know y our bioload is high and keep up with water changes and i'd think you'd be fine.

Hi-Fin or Neon it is then. :) And yes, I'm painfully aware that my bioload is crazy high. This will be the last fish. I just wanted something that dwells at the lower levels of the tank. ;)

Archived