Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a quick question regarding a bluestreak cleaner wrasse. I understand that these are one of the toughest fish to keep, but if I could get one that eats prepared foods including bbs/frozen - my LFS occassionally has a few that do so - is it worth getting one in place of the damsel?

I don't want to kill anything by accident. :(

Am however, doing a lot of reading on them.

From what I understand, they still eventually starve even if eating prepared. I believe frozen is missing some key element they need to survive long term as people report they lose color but are eating and eventually die. No personal experience to attest if that is true or not though. I just wanted one :(

Fish like that with a highly specialized diet really don't need to be in home aquaria. Glad you're reading about them though, I'd slap you if you just went out and bought one.

From what I understand, they still eventually starve even if eating prepared. I believe frozen is missing some key element they need to survive long term as people report they lose color but are eating and eventually die. No personal experience to attest if that is true or not though. I just wanted one :(

They belong in the wild

Fish like that with a highly specialized diet really don't need to be in home aquaria. Glad you're reading about them though, I'd slap you if you just went out and bought one.

Feel free to rage on me if I get one. Because I'm not going to. I read multiple posts and articles that state what you guys have mentioned, and it's enough to convince me that for the betterment of the fish species, it's best left in the ocean where it belongs. I wonder why a lot of stores like to sell them though, under pretense that they miraculously cure Ich when they're just as susceptible as any other fish. Maybe I'll slowly convince my LFS to not bring anymore of them in in the future.

As for a bluish shade fish, my LFS is stocking a very rare blue assessor basslet tomorrow, but it carries a hefty price tag, so I'm not going to get it. However, I'm curious to see how it looks like in person.

What do you guys think of a small species of fairy wrasse like a ruby-head or orange-back? I noticed those fish are very colorful and personable. I'm only concerned over their space requirements since LA insists they should go into tanks of 50G+. :(

Feel free to rage on me if I get one. Because I'm not going to. I read multiple posts and articles that state what you guys have mentioned, and it's enough to convince me that for the betterment of the fish species, it's best left in the ocean where it belongs. I wonder why a lot of stores like to sell them though, under pretense that they miraculously cure Ich when they're just as susceptible as any other fish. Maybe I'll slowly convince my LFS to not bring anymore of them in in the future.

It's marketing, just like changing the names of expert level fish to easily sell them to people who don't know any better, or selling stuff like garlic as a cure-all. There are a LOT of things out there, not just in this hobby, that are sold under false pretenses and things that just shouldn't be sold at all. It's the oldest and most common way to sell things, work people's desires, beliefs, and general lack of knowledge to your advantage.

It's marketing, just like changing the names of expert level fish to easily sell them to people who don't know any better, or selling stuff like garlic as a cure-all. There are a LOT of things out there, not just in this hobby, that are sold under false pretenses and things that just shouldn't be sold at all. It's the oldest and most common way to sell things, work people's desires, beliefs, and general lack of knowledge to your advantage.

That's sad though, especially when the lives of animals are the ones people are marketing under false pretences. :(

I think I'll wait on the blue fish and do more reading. I'll probably try to get a clown blenny or hi-fin goby some time next month though, and focus more on corals in the meantime.

I was thinking of getting these before the year ends: Toastool leather (small), GSP, multicolored zoas, elegance coral (medium sized + very healthy), mushrooms.

Quick question. I have several hydroids popping up over some pieces of my LR. Will a squirt of boiling water nuke them? They're very tiny. nocturnal and generally difficult to spot, and the only form of biological control that I know of is the orange dragon slug. But I don't feel comfortable tossing a nudi in my tank because of its toxins.

Just some quick updates.

1. I invested in a dual fan combo to cool down my tank. So far it's doing a good job of bringing the temp down from 32'C to 28'C, although evaporation can be a real PITA.

2. My skimmer has also finally broken in - yay! :D

3. A quick glance at my fuge. It's not a fancy thing since I do have the return pump in there.

4. And here's an overall peek at my sump.

5. Of course, I threw in a mini in-tank fuge box as well just as a precaution. So far it's hosting my clowns.

6. And here's the mesh covertop that I keep on when I'm not snapping photos.

7. I've also decided to beef up my CUC. Got myself a free scarlet hermit crab, a free Astrea snail and a lovely Tuxedo urchin that I named Prickles.

8. And guess who decided to hitchike on the crab during acclimation? :P

9. I also acquired this orange Toadstool Leather. Here's a pic of it when I first put it in the tank:

And here it is, three hours later:

10. Here's my new Astrea and Tuxedo already busy at work nomming algae.

11. And Winston made a very rare appearance today morning! :)

12. FTS on 15/11/2013.

I have some bad news. An isopod (the bad, parasitic kind) hitchiked on my new leather toadstool. I knew I should have dipped it, but since it was a softie and generally healthy, I didn't think about doing it.

I managed to nab one of the little cretins and flush him down the toilet. But I don't know how many more are crawling around my tank.

I read up on methods to deal with them, and there's the DIY bottle trap method which doesn't quite guarantee any success, and the biological method which is to get a sixline wrasse. I'm thinking of trying out both methods and then rehoming the wrasse once the isopods are gone. Is this recommended?

Even though there is no hard-pressed evidence that the sixline eats them, I read on several forums that they have a higher success rate of their isopods getting wiped out using a sixline than the trap. I'm not sure what I should do at this point. Any guidance is appreciated.

Isodpods are active at night, it takes them awhile to kill fish so I would just monitor. You're sure they aren't carrion or algae eating isopods?

I hope it was just the one and you caught it soon enough. Watch your fish, that is where you will see additional parasites. :(

Isodpods are active at night, it takes them awhile to kill fish so I would just monitor. You're sure they aren't carrion or algae eating isopods?

That sucks, definitely keep an eye out for more. Turkey baster is your friend.

I think that was the only one, but then again, I'm scoping out the tank at night using a flashlight to see if there are anymore. It honestly looks like a Cirolanid to me, but it was white (not blood-filled and brown yet). But since it was quite small, it could have been a Sphaeromatid. I'm hoping I saw it wrongly and it's the latter, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

I'll catch/suck out anymore of them when I see them.

On top of all that, my new scarlet hermit crab is being a d*ck and attacking my Nass snails. Managed to rescue one of the snails on time, but his shell's a bit cracked. Am returning the crab and swapping him for a bag of salt or something.

I have some good news. Turns out the bad isopod I caught was most likely a lone ranger - I haven't seen anymore pill bug-like critters swimming around my tank for the past few days.

On top of all that, I have a small surprise in my QT. My mum took a shine to him at the store, and even I did, although I was hesitant at first, because this means I have to once again reconsider my stocking plans and make sacrifices.

But...I won't be giving any pics of my surprise until 2 weeks later, when the QT period is over (Ahem, this surprise was QTed at my LFS for over three months, I'm just adding some extra time and meds). Mwahahahahaha! :D

And another thing, I have an even bigger surprise coming up in several weeks time, if all goes well. This will definitely keep some eyebrows perked up. Stay tuned! :)

Archived