inTank Media Baskets

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh ew those are creepy. actually more like terrifying. I just looked at my tank like "wtf is going to come out of my lr?"

can you even put the rock back in the tank after all of those chems? I don't even know what they are.

Those are creepy, but I have nano-sized fish in my display. I'd be heartbroken to lose anything else - I already lost a few critters thanks to the lightning strike.

I soaked it in DI and monitored all parameters after putting the rock(s) (I took out two large pieces - one was 5kg and the other around 3kg or less) back in. No traces of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Turned on my skimmer to max. Checked on all fish and inverts, and everyone is doing well so far. -crosses fingers-

Ack! Those are so creepy. Good luck, Shadow!

Thanks!

DIY Bobbit Worm/Bristle Worm Trap.

1. I used an old ice cream soda bottle and cut the top off. Realized the hole was large enough to accomodate my sneaky Nass snails, so I used the mesh from one of my mum's old tea strainers, cut a little X in it and tied it around the bottle top using some rubber band.

2. And then I inverted the top of the bottle like this. This way my hitchikers (rock crabs, extra large bristleworms and the mysterious Bobbit worm) can go in, but cannot come out again. I baited the trap using a small piece of raw Jumbo shrimp.

3. Then I wedged the bottle tightly between two arches in my scape and hoped for the best.

4. Of course, one of my Derp Nass snails just had to try his luck with the trap. Sorry, Mister!

5. My trap also drew a lot of curious onlookers, including Athena (my female clown) and one of my dwarf hermits.

6. Eventually the whole gang was there, curiously checking out the bottle.

7. I turned off the lights, and the camera setting is all wonky, so bear with blur/dark shots. I did manage to get good snapshots of my clowns cozying up together - note how protective Zeus (the male clown) gets in the second shot. He kept swimming between the camera and glass, trying his best to protect Athena.

Hope it work, Shadow. Loooove the clown babies! :wub:

I hope so too...If the trap doesn't work, I'll try peroxide, vinegar and Listerine dips next. As a last resort, I'll slowly pour boiling hot water over the rock, but I'll wear a mask first.

Oh good luck !!!!

Thank you, Danna.

To keep everyone posted, my tank water has just turned very cloudy. I suspect a bacterial bloom, but my ammonia and nitrite levels are still zero. Nitrate is up to 10ppm - not very lethal yet. Other levels are stable. Since it's nearly midnight and all my tools are out back (where it's locked up), I can only do a WC tomorrow. I hope and pray every critter (except the Bobbit) makes it through the night. Incidently, my father has named the Bobbit worm Boba Fett for some reason. Hmm.

I hope so too. Honestly, I think I nuked him by accident with the variety of dips. And that the plastic bottle leached something into the water, because the tank was uber-cloudy last night.

Some fellow reefers suggested that only a dead critter would cause the tank water to become cloudy. Others suggested percipitation.

Whatever the reason may be, I'm happy to say the cloudiness has dissipated by easily 50% overnight after turning the lights off in the DT, turning the fuge lights on, wet skimming and placing an airstone in the DT. :)

Hopefully the water will clear up quite soon.

Everyone in the tank is doing fine though - Zeus came to greet me early in the morning and I saw Athena shimmying at the in-tank fuge box lol. Cosmo was peeking at me from under the brain coral. :)

To keep everyone updated, the water is now clear - whatever that occured last night passed on pretty quickly, thank goodness. A quick check/headcount and everyone is doing well.

I'm getting a Toadstool Leather and Elegance next month, and might pick up any cool, cheap frags that catch my eye along the way. Saw this gorgeous colony of green zoas today, but I refrained from adding anything - I want the tank to stabilize first.

I -might- pick up a Hi-Fin Red Banded/Blackbar goby on Friday, but I'll QT him for another week before adding him to the display. Still can't believe I've progressed this far. There have been hiccups, but each adventure has made me come back stronger and more knowledgeable. Thanks to the lovely community here for helping me out the best they can. :)

:grouphug:

Might want to QT longer than a week unless he has been at the store a long while and you're brave :o

2 weeks good? My Clowns were QTed for months, and so was the YCG. I'm not feeling too brave - last thing I want is to introduce diseases into my tank.

4 weeks is generally what is recommended as minimum.

I have done as little as two weeks sometimes though because I am naughty. I would never do shorter than 2 weeks but 2 weeks is technically not long enough for the parasite cycle so there is still some risk.

If you have prazipro, I use that on all fish since it is very safe (I have used it in my reef before!) and internal parasites aren't always readily available. I just love that stuff, haha.

4 weeks is generally what is recommended as minimum.

I have done as little as two weeks sometimes though because I am naughty.

If you have prazipro, I use that on all fish since it is very safe (I have used it in my reef before!) and internal parasites aren't always readily available.

I think I can borrow some prazipro from one of my reefing friends. I ordered a bottle through my LFS sometime back, but it hasn't arrived yet. Of course, I'm a tad fickle-minded, so I -might- get the goby the following week or not at all. I want to see the health of the fish firsthand/check if it's eating etc. I'm mostly getting it as a companion for my Pistol. He looks horrifyingly lonely in his burrow. :o

Well, you know me better than I know myself Tamberav. I'm a bit of a rule-breaker. So I'll probably end up doing 2 to 3 weeks of QTing than a solid month. :P

haha, yah.. that you do! Naughty!

I am going to bother you until you get that green brittle out! EVIL!!!!!!!!!!

This particular echinoderm (Ophiarachna incrassata) is easy to keep and can be a welcome resident. However, it is a proficient predator that will eat fish tank mates and in time will usually capture goby neighbours. It will also crawl out and eat you in your sleep.

4c63cdbb4735d.jpg

haha, yah.. that you do! Naughty!

I am going to bother you until you get that green brittle out! EVIL!!!!!!!!!!

This particular echinoderm (Ophiarachna incrassata) is easy to keep and can be a welcome resident. However, it is a proficient predator that will eat fish tank mates and in time will usually capture goby neighbours. It will also crawl out and eat you in your sleep.

4c63cdbb4735d.jpg

My father checks for the brittle every night. And I mean every night. If he doesn't see it, the first thing he says is, "Spill. What did you do with the starfish?" :P

So unfortunately he's staying. Is it too much luck to hope that he'll eat my eunicid worm (if it's still alive)? :P

My clowns kept doing that adorable 'shimmy' dance today evening. :)

And of course, I panicked for a short while when I couldn't see Cosmo, my YCG, until I noticed him in the pagoda as usual.

I also tweaked the scape a bit more to make it appear 'airy'.

FTS on 13/11/2013. Tank now has officially 4 arches (3 large + 1 mini) and 3 caves.

Archived