Innovative Marine Aquariums

Islandoftiki's Nuvo 30 Peacock Mantis Tank

Islandoftiki

I've been working on building a set of brackets for my Maxspect Razor nano to move it forward to the center of the main display (or slightly forward of center). I finally got that project sorted out last night. Here's the build process, I'll start from the beginning.

I think I've posted this already, but the stock bracket that comes with the Razor Nano puts the light back too far for my liking when mounted on the back of the tank, which is the ideal place to mount the light for a number of reasons, I'll touch on some of those later.

The upside down shot glass is the center of the main display.

4A248C9E-orig_zps4c446275.jpg

So, for $50.00 Maxspect sells an alternate stainless steel mounting bracket kit that lets you mount your light in myriad ways, attach multiple lights together, straddle the tank at 90 degrees, etc. Everything but extend the light forward an inch and a half.

1E67DADB-orig_zps0ed77366.jpg

I could have simply mounted the light sideways on the tank and removed the glass top, but I really do need the top on the tank, I didn't want to have the glass cut, and on top of that, the brackets are deep enough that they would touch the water surface at times when the MP10 goes through a pulse mode and gets some wave action going. That sounded like a salt creep hassle that I didn't want.

585A7FF3-orig_zps3ab72f4e.jpg

So, what I need to do is extend one of the L bracket rods using one of the straight rods that would be used to connect two lights together.

C0BA8547-orig_zpscd761fda.jpg

So, here's what I finally did after playing around with several different possibilities that didn't work out so well. I cut the straight rod down to about 5 1/2 inches long leaving the threaded set screw hole on the far end. I also cut down the L bracket rod a couple of inches. I then used a 5/16-18 die to thread the rods and a 5/16-18 stainless steel coupling nut to put them together. Because of the rod diameter, I was only about to get about 60% depth on the threads, but it's more than enough for this particular application. Additionally, I'll be epoxying the rods into the nuts to keep any saltwater out.

(Ignore the zinc plated nuts in this picture, I used stainless steel ones for the final product)

225DFBA4-orig_zps7ed1d5d4.jpg

Here are the finished bracket rods:

11CD7B09-orig_zpsf65538c0.jpg

The rods are epoxied into the stainless steel coupling nuts.

A33B5713-orig_zps2152b787.jpg

Here's the original rod next to my modified rod:

1392B8C1-orig_zps93d86486.jpg

Here it is on the tank:

599CAF6F-orig_zps88e4cd63.jpg

9029DDCD-orig_zps32e24af7.jpg

I now have plenty of adjustment fore/aft. With the shot glass in the center of the tank, you can see I now have the light mounted slightly forward of center.

5E6E56BC-orig_zps56d9d642.jpg

I'm very happy with the final product, but it sure was a lot of screwing around just to have this light mounted the way I wanted it. The stainless steel rods are quite a bit more stout and the light doesn't wiggle around so much when changing settings or programming.

By the way, I have enough parts left to make a second set of arms for anyone else who is in the same boat.

• Like 3

I am getting Pico 20g soon and plan on getting razor nano. Tank is 18x18x16 if I am not mistaken. Would your bracket work on that tank and what are your razor settings?

You may not need anything special unless your tank has a really big rear chamber like the IM Nuvo tanks have.

My current settings are (or will be in three days when I'm finished ramping it all the way up to 100%):

8:00 A 0% B 1%

9:00 A 50% B 50%

9:30 A 100% B 100%

15:30 A 100% B 100%

18:00 A 50% B 50%

20:00 A 0% B 1%

• Like 1

Looks wonderful. I'm w/ you, I'm rather have more forward than backward. One thing is maybe less algae on the backside. And it gives them more darkness they like in the back, and you have more corals in the front.

• Like 2

You may not need anything special unless your tank has a really big rear chamber like the IM Nuvo tanks have.

My current settings are (or will be in three days when I'm finished ramping it all the way up to 100%):

8:00 A 0% B 1%

9:00 A 50% B 50%

9:30 A 100% B 100%

15:30 A 100% B 100%

18:00 A 50% B 50%

20:00 A 0% B 1%

New pico 20g has back compartment just like IM tanks. So it would work with your extension bracket. As to your settings,it seems like that is more then what I need since I don't have or plan on having any light hungry corals or clams. Btw I just got r420r over my mantis IM 16 tank. That tank is also home to pixy hawkfish and pair of Wyoming clowns. New mantis seems to like table shrimp and it is eating well. However, it is very shy. Not sure but it might be molting or just figuring out new home and its surroundings.....

What an extraordinary special bond you have with her, it's just super awesome. She's everybody's wish for a mantis shrimp. I wonder since mine are so little and so young if I'd be able to teach mine to be calm with me. I mean tan fingers have to look more friendly with food that a pointy shiny metallic thing.

What an extraordinary special bond you have with her, it's just super awesome. She's everybody's wish for a mantis shrimp. I wonder since mine are so little and so young if I'd be able to teach mine to be calm with me. I mean tan fingers have to look more friendly with food that a pointy shiny metallic thing.

I don't know. I wouldn't even try this with Chuck, my G. Ternatensis. Not at all. Betty is a special case.

I'm going to have to find her a new home towards the end of this year. We're planning to move to Hawaii and it would be illegal for me to ship her there, not to mention logistically impossible. I won't be asking any money for her. She was given to me as a rescue. But she has to go to a special home. It's really important to me. Hopefully she'll go locally, but I can arrange for her to be shipped. The appropriate home will be imperative.

I don't know. I wouldn't even try this with Chuck, my G. Ternatensis. Not at all. Betty is a special case.

I'm going to have to find her a new home towards the end of this year. We're planning to move to Hawaii and it would be illegal for me to ship her there, not to mention logistically impossible. I won't be asking any money for her. She was given to me as a rescue. But she has to go to a special home. It's really important to me. Hopefully she'll go locally, but I can arrange for her to be shipped. The appropriate home will be imperative.

Hopefully you can find someone in your area so they'll be less travel stress for her. Well, that's just like giving your dog away, it has to be right, has to perfect. You wouldn't want anything less.

• Like 1

Hopefully you can find someone in your area so they'll be less travel stress for her. Well, that's just like giving your dog away, it has to be right, has to perfect. You wouldn't want anything less.

Yep, you get it. She's cooler than most dogs though. She's never once pooped on the floor.

Dang.. I'm going to be sad not seeing you posting updates of Betty :tears:

Yeah, but consider this. If I'm living in Hawaii, I'll be posting updates from tidepools, snorkeling, and hopefully from scuba diving eventually. And remember, there are several endemic species of mantis shrimp in Hawaii!

Yep, you get it. She's cooler than most dogs though. She's never once pooped on the floor.

Yeah, but consider this. If I'm living in Hawaii, I'll be posting updates from tidepools, snorkeling, and hopefully from scuba diving eventually. And remember, there are several endemic species of mantis shrimp in Hawaii!

I hope you are able to net one to bring home and shower with :wub:

Watching the video was funny cuz I was playing in my head what she might be saying, Yeah, uh huh, I know, it's your finger again, uh, yep, i'm going inside, oh but it's still your finger again, I'll coax it for you to make you feel loved, bye-bye now, dang, I know, it's your finger again, I really have to go inside and clean the house. Now let me be. She's sweet.

• Like 1

Too bad you have to part with her. Hopefully you can find someone as passionate and dedicated as you are to make her happy. I like your vids as well. But I am pretty sure that you are bounded with mantis shrimps forever and we will see a lot more of your ventures after the move ;)

Legendary Corals

I've been working on building a set of brackets for my Maxspect Razor nano to move it forward to the center of the main display (or slightly forward of center). I finally got that project sorted out last night. Here's the build process, I'll start from the beginning.

I think I've posted this already, but the stock bracket that comes with the Razor Nano puts the light back too far for my liking when mounted on the back of the tank, which is the ideal place to mount the light for a number of reasons, I'll touch on some of those later.

The upside down shot glass is the center of the main display.

4A248C9E-orig_zps4c446275.jpg

So, for $50.00 Maxspect sells an alternate stainless steel mounting bracket kit that lets you mount your light in myriad ways, attach multiple lights together, straddle the tank at 90 degrees, etc. Everything but extend the light forward an inch and a half.

1E67DADB-orig_zps0ed77366.jpg

I could have simply mounted the light sideways on the tank and removed the glass top, but I really do need the top on the tank, I didn't want to have the glass cut, and on top of that, the brackets are deep enough that they would touch the water surface at times when the MP10 goes through a pulse mode and gets some wave action going. That sounded like a salt creep hassle that I didn't want.

585A7FF3-orig_zps3ab72f4e.jpg

So, what I need to do is extend one of the L bracket rods using one of the straight rods that would be used to connect two lights together.

C0BA8547-orig_zpscd761fda.jpg

So, here's what I finally did after playing around with several different possibilities that didn't work out so well. I cut the straight rod down to about 5 1/2 inches long leaving the threaded set screw hole on the far end. I also cut down the L bracket rod a couple of inches. I then used a 5/16-18 die to thread the rods and a 5/16-18 stainless steel coupling nut to put them together. Because of the rod diameter, I was only about to get about 60% depth on the threads, but it's more than enough for this particular application. Additionally, I'll be epoxying the rods into the nuts to keep any saltwater out.

(Ignore the zinc plated nuts in this picture, I used stainless steel ones for the final product)

225DFBA4-orig_zps7ed1d5d4.jpg

Here are the finished bracket rods:

11CD7B09-orig_zpsf65538c0.jpg

The rods are epoxied into the stainless steel coupling nuts.

A33B5713-orig_zps2152b787.jpg

Here's the original rod next to my modified rod:

1392B8C1-orig_zps93d86486.jpg

Here it is on the tank:

599CAF6F-orig_zps88e4cd63.jpg

9029DDCD-orig_zps32e24af7.jpg

I now have plenty of adjustment fore/aft. With the shot glass in the center of the tank, you can see I now have the light mounted slightly forward of center.

5E6E56BC-orig_zps56d9d642.jpg

I'm very happy with the final product, but it sure was a lot of screwing around just to have this light mounted the way I wanted it. The stainless steel rods are quite a bit more stout and the light doesn't wiggle around so much when changing settings or programming.

By the way, I have enough parts left to make a second set of arms for anyone else who is in the same boat.

I always love how so many people know how to DIY. Wish I was that smart.

EVIL MANTIS SHRIMP ATTACKS!

Ok, not really. Or not at all...

Daring for sure but she likes you ... and does not seem to have any intention at all of harming you ... in fact I think she may be a bit afraid and it could be IMO because of the size of your hand which is much larger than what she is accustomed to see, but then maybe that is not it.

Great video ... and how nice of her to not even have tried to "smash" you ....

Love those videos

Well, as of today, it seems that Betty is going to be molting. The right side of her den is closed up tight. (unfortunately, I'm going to have to rescue my undata frag that she stole AGAIN. I'll be gluing it down and re-closing her burrow.

So, let's hope her molt goes well and maybe she'll have both of her raptorial appendages back to 100%. I'll keep everyone posted on her progress!

C3975DD9-orig_zps5da864d7.jpg

Now, if I can just get Chuck to molt!

• Like 2
Islandoftiki

Good news today. Betty has successfully molted. I can't see any more than just her eyes peeking out of the pile of rubble in front of the left entrance, but I can see the old molt shell through a little hole in the right side.

I think that explains why the skimmer cup is half full today. She'll be chowing down on that molt for the next couple days and hopefully I'll see her bright shiny new shell soon.

For now, this is the best picture I can get:

F5C8E759-orig_zpsc15f6f8c.jpg

• Like 3