ReefCleaners.org

Islandoftiki's Nuvo 30 Peacock Mantis Tank

Islandoftiki

Nice! It is kind awkward that it reminded me of this video lol :blink: ... she was giving you the cold shoulder a bit...

But honey, please, I just want.. .NO< leave me alone, just one time pls, NO< what don't you understand?, sweet baby...NO< I have a headache, leave me alone..NO, get off me dang it.

• Like 1

I was contemplating adding a fish to mentis setup but fear it might not end well. How long did you had you damsel with mentis in this tank?

Betty was given to me with Barney the damsel fish, so she lived with him at least 6 to 8 months before I received them as a pair. It's truly on an individual basis. Betty gets along well with her fish companion. Some O. Scyllarus kill fish on sight.

My G. Ternatensis lives with a clown fish, a damsel, a yellow watchman goby and a tuxedo urchin... and hermits, and snails. You never know. He should be murdering every snail and hermit in the tank. I guess he's well fed.

Thanks and very interesting. I might give it a try.

For some reason, damsel fish seem to be the safest bet for mantis tanks. They have the added benefit of being extremely hearty.

I have a bunch of various clowns and since it is going to be the only tank in my living room I was wishfully thinking of sneaking one in. But clowns are somewhat vulnerable at night and I fear that mentis wouldn't pass on that chance. I had Azure damsel once and he would not come near the sand bed, even at night. So you might be right about them as being one of few choices for mentis tank. Thanks

I have a bunch of various clowns and since it is going to be the only tank in my living room I was wishfully thinking of sneaking one in. But clowns are somewhat vulnerable at night and I fear that mentis wouldn't pass on that chance.

My G. Ternatensis lives with an Azure damsel, a yellow clown goby and a small clown fish. Interestingly enough, the clown was the only one he showed any interest in when it first went into the tank. I actually put a net in front of Chuck's cave just to be safe. He pays no attention to any of the fish any more. That just Chuck though, he's special.

• Like 2

Your wife makes it look like throwing a mug is easy. I mean it can be after some practice but she makes it look no harder than making a paper plane.

I like the tentacle cup. Maybe she could do an acropora mug in a similar fashion.

Ha- I like the way she went after her roommate. Boy she was just so animated just to see that bag, love it love it love it. She has so much personality.

Ha- I like the way she went after her roommate. Boy she was just so animated just to see that bag, love it love it love it. She has so much personality.

Chuck goes just as crazy for the bag of food. Of course, tonight, his performance was a total dud, so I didn't upload the video. Maybe he'll be a little more engaging tomorrow.

Betty is always the star of the show. She's currently searching the tank for any missed bits of food. Who needs clean up crew when you have Betty?

• Like 2

I keep a clown fish with my Peacock. I was out of town for awhile and my damsel got ate :happy: But the clown was/is totally fine. My clown is weird though and sleeps at the top of the tank in a corner. She behaves well with fish though unless she goes without food for too long.

I have a bunch of various clowns and since it is going to be the only tank in my living room I was wishfully thinking of sneaking one in. But clowns are somewhat vulnerable at night and I fear that mentis wouldn't pass on that chance. I had Azure damsel once and he would not come near the sand bed, even at night. So you might be right about them as being one of few choices for mentis tank. Thanks

• Like 1

I don't think I can take that risk. But I always wanted princess damselfish so I might give that a chance. Actually, one of my other clowns like to sleep high up in the tank. Perhaps I could try that. But I do I do that without putting him in grave danger ?

Do you feel lucky?

Lucky lucky your fingers are undamaged :)

Here's the nightly feeding ritual. Sorry, it was a little late and the lights are dimming down for the night.

That Damsel sure was persistent in trying to get to the good ... and daring too . ..

But the intended one got it eventually and ripped it to pieces in no time :)

Pffft you have snails and crabs for a CUC? Yawn. I have a mantis shrimp. :lol:

Do you ever let her work for her meal like breaking open a clam shell?

Yeah, I have some empty snail shells that I'll pack the krill into every now and again. She's often clever enough to pick the krill out without having to break it open despite my best efforts to really pack it in there.

It wouldn't make for much of a video though. She would just haul it into her burrow and smash it up in there.

Awesome vids and one lucky hand lol

Anything you put in there may get ate. Consider it all disposable. If it is a fish you can't part with... don't put it in a mantis tank.

If I can find damsel that I want, I'll try to make it work. Or one of my less desirable clowns that stays mostly at the top of the tank.

Should I introduce them together to new tank or let damsel/clown acclimate first?

If I can find damsel that I want, I'll try to make it work. Or one of my less desirable clowns that stays mostly at the top of the tank.

Should I introduce them together to new tank or let damsel/clown acclimate first?

You'll have less aggression and territory issues if you add them together. I got lucky with my Damsel/Clown/YCG trio. The damsel went first, followed by the clown months later and then the YCG some time later. They all get along and hang out together like best buddies. They're all approximately the same size (small).

• Like 1

You'll have less aggression and territory issues if you add them together. I got lucky with my Damsel/Clown/YCG trio. The damsel went first, followed by the clown months later and then the YCG some time later. They all get along and hang out together like best buddies. They're all approximately the same size (small).

I was referring to mantis and damsel (or if I get brave enough, clownfish). Which should go in 1st, damsel or mantis?

I was referring to mantis and damsel (or if I get brave enough, clownfish). Which should go in 1st, damsel or mantis?

My damsel went in 45 minutes ahead of my mantis when the new tank was set up due to longer acclimation time for the mantis. What happened? The damsel fell in love with Betty's burrow. When Betty was added to the tank, she found the burrow, claimed it and the damsel pitched a royal fit...

Add them both at the same time if possible. It took a couple days for Barney to chill out. He's fine now, but man was he upset.

• Like 2

My damsel went in 45 minutes ahead of my mantis when the new tank was set up due to longer acclimation time for the mantis. What happened? The damsel fell in love with Betty's burrow. When Betty was added to the tank, she found the burrow, claimed it and the damsel pitched a royal fit...

http://youtu.be/dYhdBb0EaBg'>http://youtu.be/dYhdBb0EaBg

Add them both at the same time if possible. It took a couple days for Barney to chill out. He's fine now, but man was he upset.

Cool vid as always. That's exactly the same behavior that my azure damsel showed towards angler fish. Eventho angler was fed mollies the size of that damsel, angler never went after him.....or perhaps he knew to stay away from the beast.

Thanks and keep that camera rolling

paradizecityz

So I went to Home Depot to look for a acrylic sheet and the silicone that you were telling me about...I found some acrylic sheets but I couldn't find the silicone you were talking about? I found this one that said for marine stuff but in the description, it said for use above the water line....wouldn't happen to have that silicone laying around where you can show me?

• Like 1