ReefCleaners.org

Islandoftiki's Nuvo 30 Peacock Mantis Tank

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

Ya ofc people still do it.. tee-hee! naughty!

Staying with the nano or ever thought about a big tank for all those Hawaiian fish?

There are enough small Hawaiian tidepool fish to make a complete and exciting nano. Zebra blennies are awfully cute, and damn near indestructible. Those things survive some of the worst tide pool conditions I could possibly imagine. There are also lots of small gobies that hang out in tide pools as well. Living in one of my tanks would be a luxury to them.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

Woah. Near disaster!

We got home from Hawaii last night. When I opened the front door, I knew something was immediately wrong. Loud gulping slurping noises from the living room. I walked into the living room and saw the 30 gallon tank. Air bubbles everywhere! The return pump was sucking air big time and the rear chamber was nearly empty. The ATO controller was flashing red. Fortunately, no obvious distress in the tank beyond the huge amount of air bubbles. I added just enough RO/DI water to stop the pump from sucking air and checked my salinity. Fortunately, only up to 1.027. I slowly brought it back to 1.026 over a couple hours and got the rear chamber water level back to normal.

After a little troubleshooting, I found that the ATO nozzle had clogged. I poked it out with a paper clip and the ATO started working properly again. Luckily it had only clogged within the past 24-48 hours... Probably shortly after the last time my tank sitter had fed the critters. Of course, the ATO has been working flawlessly for months and months prior to this incident and of course, it happened while we were on vacation. Murphy's law.

This morning, everything looked ok, but we'll see tonight when I get home. I'll have to run a full panel of tests to make sure nothing is too off. Hopefully the SPS don't brown.

That was quite a scare.

• Like 2
albertthiel

Woah. Near disaster!

We got home from Hawaii last night. When I opened the front door, I knew something was immediately wrong. Loud gulping slurping noises from the living room. I walked into the living room and saw the 30 gallon tank. Air bubbles everywhere! The return pump was sucking air big time and the rear chamber was nearly empty. The ATO controller was flashing red. Fortunately, no obvious distress in the tank beyond the huge amount of air bubbles. I added just enough RO/DI water to stop the pump from sucking air and checked my salinity. Fortunately, only up to 1.027. I slowly brought it back to 1.026 over a couple hours and got the rear chamber water level back to normal.

After a little troubleshooting, I found that the ATO nozzle had clogged. I poked it out with a paper clip and the ATO started working properly again. Luckily it had only clogged within the past 24-48 hours... Probably shortly after the last time my tank sitter had fed the critters. Of course, the ATO has been working flawlessly for months and months prior to this incident and of course, it happened while we were on vacation. Murphy's law.

This morning, everything looked ok, but we'll see tonight when I get home. I'll have to run a full panel of tests to make sure nothing is too off. Hopefully the SPS don't brown.

That was quite a scare.

Glad to read there was no damage done ... but I can imagine your scare as you got home ....

Great shots you posted too ... I loved them ... Thanks

Albert

If something goes wrong, it will only happen when you're not home! I had a similar experience with a pump failure when I was out of town as well. I mean really... it's going to work for months.. years.. and then just not work on the short time I was away? What are the odds? <_<

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

Well, despite all of the excitement and minor failure of critical systems, everything remains in check.

SG: 1.026
Alk: 7.2 dkh
Calc: 430
Nitrate 1 ppm
Phosphate: .01 ppm

Dodged the bullet this time. If you dose Kalk in your ATO, make sure to check the outlet for your ATO before you go on vacation. It can clog.

• 3 weeks later...
Marine Depot

Current FTS!

Tankupdate_zps6fe8018b.jpg

Well folks, I've been saving up over the past couple months for a new tank for my wonderful female peacock mantis shrimp. The 20 gallon tank she's been living in has been adequate, but certainly not ideal. So, now we're just going to leap straight into what I believe is going to be the prefect setup...

A9FC9080-orig_zps239f36d8.jpg

Cool, huh?

Who wants to see more?

Hey,

I am currently working on an article that highlights amazing innovative marine nuvo aquariums. I love your tank and was wondering if we could use your tank and give you credit for all your hard work. If you could also take a front facing picture of your whole tank so that we can see it is an innovative marine? Please let me know, thank you!

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

Hey,

I am currently working on an article that highlights amazing innovative marine nuvo aquariums. I love your tank and was wondering if we could use your tank and give you credit for all your hard work. If you could also take a front facing picture of your whole tank so that we can see it is an innovative marine? Please let me know, thank you!

You bet. You're more than welcome to spotlight my tank. Let me see if I can get a good full equipment/tank shot right now.

Islandoftiki

If you could also take a front facing picture of your whole tank so that we can see it is an innovative marine?

Here's a current full tank shot...

Nuvo-30_zpse4c18262.jpg

Let me know if you want any other pictures.

• Like 5
Islandoftiki

Summer is coming, time to switch out the glass top for a mesh cover to help keep the tank cool. This is the clear 1/2" netting that Bulk Reef Supply sells.

e92db4f4-352e-4de2-a435-881ad99e7a41_zps

And, as always, little miss curiosity checks out the camera...

20140517_183616_zpse4108dfd.jpg

• Like 6
Islandoftiki

Last night during the regular melee of feeding time, Barney the damsel got really in Betty's face and tried repeatedly to steal her food. You know what she thought of that? Pop! Undeterred, he kept at it. Pop! I guess that was enough to deter him from attempting to take food right out of her maxillipeds. He seemed completely unfazed, although he does have two light hammer marks on the side of his back, one in front of and one behind his dorsal fin. This morning he looks to be unharmed. I'll see if I can get him to sit still long enough to take a picture of the marks tonight.

FlowerMama

If at first you don't succeed try, try again BUT then there's the saying that says Trying something over & over expecting a different result is insanity.

Islandoftiki

Good news. Barney is no worse for wear today. He still has two very faint marks that I've highlighted with arrows, but they've faded at this point and I suspect he's going to be just fine. It's really hard to see in the picture. He's a pain to photograph since he constantly darts around. This is the best I could do.

f6909e56-bc7b-47c4-9ba2-c85ba7ccee19_zps

Hopefully he's learned not to steal food from a mantis shrimp.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

Here's a quick video of Betty swimming toward the camera. Watch closely and you can see the "rowing" motion of her pleopods.

• Like 5
Islandoftiki

Testing out my new Samsung Galaxy S5 phone camera. Way better than my old Galaxy S3, IMO. These are unedited and untouched.

D703B074-orig_zps24a0039b.jpg

0EDCE717-orig_zps1fcb28ad.jpg

• Like 3
FlowerMama

I'm behind with the times regarding phones but if your previous pics were w/ the S3 I'm still amazed at that. These are excellent.