Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Islandoftiki's Nuvo 30 Peacock Mantis Tank

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

Who likes D&D? Mantis shrimp! What happens when you introduce a mantis shrimp to gaming dice? A lot of critical hits on that D20!

Music free version if you want to hear her hitting the dice clearly:

• Like 7

cute, did you get your dice back? I am thinking about giving Ivy toys but sealing them with krylon clear fusion or something. She is a little hoarder and would probably stash them in her tube where I can't get them.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

cute, did you get your dice back? I am thinking about giving Ivy toys but sealing them with krylon clear fusion or something. She is a little hoarder and would probably stash them in her tube where I can't get them.

They're all sitting in a pile on the sand bed now. I'm pretty sure the dice are quite saltwater safe as they're likely made of acrylic. I'll probably pull them out tomorrow as she's bored of them now, but yesterday was a flurry of hammering and other dice related activity. She was particularly fond of the 20 sided die.

• Like 3

It would be funny if you gave her a pair of regular dice and she threw them out of her home and got like snake eyes or something!

• Like 4
Islandoftiki

Hey folks!

It's getting real. Our move to Hawaii, that is. Our house is going on the market at the end of August, and we have our plane tickets purchased! November 6th! We're still organizing the shipping of our belongings to the island, but things are moving along swiftly. We're garage saling or donating anything we don't absolutely need to take with us.

And... While we're done firing our kiln and making any new sea creature mugs or other oceanic creations, we still have some inventory remaining that we hope we don't have to pack up and bring with us. That means a BIG SALE at my fiance's Etsy store! Mantis shrimp mugs, cephalopod mugs, and much much more are all drastically on sale! Check it out!

This will be your last chance for quite a while as it's going to be a while before we can get everything set up and producing on the island!

• Like 2

I see a mantis mug on there for only $5 :)hint *cough* hint 1sttimereefer

I love the two mantis mugs I have!

Do you have a home for Betty yet?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Yesterday, I put the word out publicly to the local saltwater club looking for a new home for Betty. I received several responses. A couple of nopes and one very strong candidate who is driving up to see her and sit down and talk about adopting her. He has plenty of experience in advanced level reef keeping (SPS) and is running a very nice 120 gallon tank at the moment. He's been planning to set up a mantis tank for a while now, but hasn't found the right one yet. The local saltwater shop keeps getting G. chiragras. He's also agreed to keep sharing photos and videos of her online for all of her fans. He's driving up tonight to meet her and go over what she will need for her new home. He might even buy the tank and all of the corals. His enthusiasm for her has to be at least equal to my own, which is an important factor in my final choice of who she will go to. I'll keep everyone posted!

• Like 5

Yesterday, I put the word out publicly to the local saltwater club looking for a new home for Betty. I received several responses. A couple of nopes and one very strong candidate who is driving up to see her and sit down and talk about adopting her. He has plenty of experience in advanced level reef keeping (SPS) and is running a very nice 120 gallon tank at the moment. He's been planning to set up a mantis tank for a while now, but hasn't found the right one yet. The local saltwater shop keeps getting G. chiragras. He's also agreed to keep sharing photos and videos of her online for all of her fans. He's driving up tonight to meet her and go over what she will need for her new home. He might even buy the tank and all of the corals. His enthusiasm for her has to be at least equal to my own, which is an important factor in my final choice of who she will go to. I'll keep everyone posted!

That sounds like it may be the right candidate indeed ...

Yeah, Betty needs a wonderful owner like you've been. Keep her curious and active. I can't imagine how hard it is to give her up. Makes me sad thinking about it. Hey, you think they'd join NR so we could still get updates???

Islandoftiki

It looks like we've got a home for Betty... and the corals. And the tank and the stand. I'm going to be giving the guy a substantial deal and he's going to take the whole tank. I'll keep some of the more advanced equipment and he'll fill in the rest with spare gear he has. I should end up with enough money out of the deal to buy a new IM Nuvo Fusion 30L that I can set up when we get settled down in Hawaii. He was totally enamored with Betty,. We even peer pressured him into sticking his hand in the tank and letting her touch his finger after my fiance and I both did it. Of course, there were no injuries. She hit me twice, but very lightly as always. I was by far pushing her boundaries, but I kinda know how much she'll put up with and when she's done.

So, now it's just the logistics of moving the tank smack dab in the middle of selling our house! That should be fun.

• Like 4

It looks like we've got a home for Betty... and the corals. And the tank and the stand. I'm going to be giving the guy a substantial deal and he's going to take the whole tank. I'll keep some of the more advanced equipment and he'll fill in the rest with spare gear he has. I should end up with enough money out of the deal to buy a new IM Nuvo Fusion 30L that I can set up when we get settled down in Hawaii. He was totally enamored with Betty,. We even peer pressured him into sticking his hand in the tank and letting her touch his finger after my fiance and I both did it. Of course, there were no injuries. She hit me twice, but very lightly as always. I was by far pushing her boundaries, but I kinda know how much she'll put up with and when she's done.

So, now it's just the logistics of moving the tank smack dab in the middle of selling our house! That should be fun.

Great news John ...

Dr.Brain Coral

Thats good you got her a good home. Let me guess the nopes where the people who are like "Doh thats a hella killer shrimp. Could I put her in my ten gallon and feed her goldfish. Bru that would be totally dope."

• Like 2
Islandoftiki

We're making the best of our time with Betty before she goes to her new home. My fiance gets a hug from her! We're going to miss this little booger!

• Like 8
Islandoftiki

When does she move?

Not sure. We have to organize the move to her new home, which is an hour away, with the staging and photographing of our house and the showing/sale of the house. Scheduling might be challenge or require moving the tank in the late evening. Probably in a couple of weeks though.

wow! so cute!! I am not brave enough to try that :P I have gotten within a few inches of Ivy while placing corals and she doesn't try anything but still.. I am a chicken!!

After seeing these videos, I do not think I would be able to let her go. Never seen a mantis shrimp so tame. I'm still catching up on your thread, but why can't you bring her with you. Are you moving cross country?

• Like 1