Pod Your Reef

Islandoftiki's Nuvo 30 Peacock Mantis Tank

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

Your water is always so clear!

I clean the glass every day and run about a half cup of E.S.V GAC. I also have four layers of filter pad on the right side overflow (Two of the blue/white disposable filter pad on top of two layers of the really fine all white stuff that's washable). I honestly don't change the filter pad as often as I should, but I would be more concerned about it if the nitrates ever got over 1ppm, but that would take months of no water changes for that to happen.

Islandoftiki

Two for one SPS corals at our really awesome local fish store today! I went in to pick up some LRS frozen food for the fish and ended coming out with three new corals.

I picked these two beauties up to replace the pink birdsnest coral and the Bali green slimer that have slowly been deteriorating since the ATO failure event last month. Dunno what they are, but the pink one is apparently kinda rare? If anyone can ID both, I'm pretty sure they are both named corals. I don't really care about named corals.

8A06BF5B-orig_zps87d1a519.jpg

And for some reason, I fell in love with this nuclear green torch coral. This think is massively fluorescent and bright. It adds a lot of movement to that part of the tank. It's still not fully open but looks great already.

63E87E6E-orig_zpse8752f44.jpg

Here's what the tank is looking like now. I'll try to get a picture mid-day tomorrow when the lights are at 100% and not so blue so you can see the true colors.

EA512D30-orig_zps20c6f65c.jpg

• Like 2
Islandoftiki

Hey, get that torch coral out of your mouth, you don't know where it's been!

C63CB444-orig_zps427bf0f7.jpg

And... new addition.

My first photosynthetic gorgonian!

68D943CE-orig_zps20544a95.jpg

• Like 5
Islandoftiki

and it's definitely a pretty one!

It's a beauty, really purple. Apparently it's kinda rare? Anyone know what it is exactly?

Islandoftiki

So, yesterday, I was a super villian. The Amputator!

10371481_10204051798164068_5729949789909

10363992_10204052350017864_4092789509150

Chicks love bad guys...

1186054_10204053754172967_53578202749531

• Like 5
Islandoftiki

I'm sure you've thought about it till you're blue. Is there no way you can take her with you when you move?

Not legally. And if I illegally shipped her and she got refused by customs, they would send her back and she would probably die in transit. Dr. Caldwell even had a difficult time taking an O. Scyllarus to Hawaii temporarily. It could only be a male and they were very careful to make sure he took it back home to the mainland with him.

Not legally. And if I illegally shipped her and she got refused by customs, they would send her back and she would probably die in transit. Dr. Caldwell even had a difficult time taking an O. Scyllarus to Hawaii temporarily. It could only be a male and they were very careful to make sure he took it back home to the mainland with him.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know it was a legal issue. That's a shame. :(

Islandoftiki

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know it was a legal issue. That's a shame. :(

Hawaii is SUPER SUPER restrictive about allowing non-endemic species into the state. They already have a few invasive species disasters. Mongoose are the most notable, but there are quite a few others.

Anyhow, their fear, which is well founded is that someone will import corals, fish and inverts that don't belong in the oceans and when they get tired of keeping them, they'll just dump them in the ocean. The other side of it is conservancy. You are not allowed to keep any SPS or LPS corals, only some soft corals. Mostly zoanthids. Keep in mind, you can collect your own zoas though. I think it's a $15,000 fine to get caught with SPS corals in your tank. That's not to say that there aren't people who have full reef tanks hidden in a back room of their houses, because they do. Despite the legality of it.

So, I'll probably end up with a pretty cool zoa garden with an O. brevirostris mantis shrimp when we get settled in there. That's still a little ways off.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

Nothing wrong with a good ol zoa garden :)

Even better, a zoa garden that you collect for free (or whatever the cost of a collection license is).

I'm going to be looking into what I can do about getting a educational permit to keep some SPS corals. I'd enjoy doing some teaching and presentation work for school groups.

• Like 2
Islandoftiki

My beautiful purple rhodactis just split! Now I have two! Someone from the saltwater club told me that you just don't see these any more at the local coral shops.

CACFDA69-orig_zps57897689.jpg

• Like 3
Islandoftiki

Interesting article about crayfish that made me think about stomatopods and the importance of providing them with a PVC burrow and a comfortable environment.

BBC News: Crayfish may experience form of anxiety

Perhaps our stomatopod friends also experience feeling similar to anxiety and fear? From my own observations of my own mantis shrimp, I don't doubt it for a second.

• Like 2