Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Islandoftiki's Nuvo 30 Peacock Mantis Tank

Islandoftiki

My lfs said to me about making a home for my oesterdeii, leave the several rocks you have in there. Don't take them outside and crush them into smaller pieces. Don't make it a home, that's what it does in the wild, it'll break 'em up. So I'm not sure if I'm going to make a home of pvc.

But that makes me wonder...if you don't give them something to break up, to be active, are you somehow lessening the chance of it molting well? like a strength issue? Like a person that just sits around is weaker and can get sick. One that is active is healthier.

I didn't give Ivy PVC and this morning she was redoing her burrow. It's fun to watch her gather up rubble and coral skeletons and flip them around every which way till she is happy with it. There was a larger rock that was a little tipsy and she knew it so she grabbed a piece of dead birds nest as a beam pole and reinforced it. Pretty cool.

I would definably give them rubble of difference shapes and sizes to work with too though. In the wild they would have more than just large slabs to work with. Ivy uses the shells of her victims for building too.

My lfs said to me about making a home for my oesterdeii, leave the several rocks you have in there. Don't take them outside and crush them into smaller pieces. Don't make it a home, that's what it does in the wild, it'll break 'em up. So I'm not sure if I'm going to make a home of pvc.

But that makes me wonder...if you don't give them something to break up, to be active, are you somehow lessening the chance of it molting well? like a strength issue? Like a person that just sits around is weaker and can get sick. One that is active is healthier.

• Like 2

To me, the main reason for having a man made den is that you can control where your mantis is going to be facing when it's just hanging out at the entrance. Left to their own devices, some species will just sit facing the back of the tank and you'll never see them. They always have the option of not using your man made den, and building their own, but mantis shrimp are lazy and will likely take the existing burrow.

• Like 1

To me, the main reason for having a man made den is that you can control where your mantis is going to be facing when it's just hanging out at the entrance. Left to their own devices, some species will just sit facing the back of the tank and you'll never see them. They always have the option of not using your man made den, and building their own, but mantis shrimp are lazy and will likely take the existing burrow.

Which one is more lazy? Chuck or Betty?

I left a bunch of small (1-2") rubble behind rockwork in my new mentis tank for him to be creative. I would say add some rubble.

And I can see the point of making a burrow that is clearly visible but honestly, I am not concerned about that as much as want him to feel safe and at home. I figure that if he feels safe around his home he will be more active and less shy to come out of his burrow.

• Like 1

Ok, I dug out the good camera and played around with shutter, aperture and white balance adjustments to get a little better picture of the tank with all of the new SPS corals. I don't think I could fit one more coral into this tank now. It's really packed.

Tankupdate_zps6fe8018b.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, that's crazy colorful. Has Betty's coloring changed over time w/ her environment?

I seriously can't stuff any more coral in there. The new frags I added will add quite a bit more color as they grow bigger. I'm excited to see the ORA Red Planet grow out. It looks pretty happy right now. Despite being fragged yesterday, it's already got good polyp extension. I'm curious to see what it's ultimate color will be in this tank.

Wow. That tank looks fantastic. How do you get in there to do maintenance with Lil' ole Betty in there. And she's no baby shrimp. Plus she knows you and comes out to play right?

Thank you. I'm surprised at how well it's coming along. As far as not getting hit by Betty, I keep a close eye on her when I put my hands in the tank. For the most part, she stays in her burrow when I'm moving stuff around with my hands, but if I'm working near the left entrance of the burrow, I'm keen to make sure she's hanging out at the right entrance and vice versa.

Sometimes I use the Eheim claw tool for moving small stuff; she hates that thing. So does Chuck. If it's in the tank, it's gonna get hit. Multiple times.

Moving frags around and gluing things in place involves some level of strategy. She's reasonably predictable though, so it's not too hard. Setting things up that can be easily moved quickly and glued in place without holding them for extended periods of time is par for the course.

I trust that she's familiar with the sight of human hands and doesn't show aggression towards them when they're outside of the tank, so maybe she'd extend the same courtesy inside the tank? I don't know. She certainly shows interest and affection towards me (I'm anthropomorphising) since I'm associated with food, so it hasn't been an issue yet...

• Like 2

And... For what it's worth, she's in interactive mode right now. I took the opportunity to pet her a couple times. I was, of course, careful not to present my fingers to her raptorial appendages. She isn't too bothered about being touched on her carapace and back, and she can't flip around and strike me too easily, so it's a calculated risk. Again, it's pretty obvious that she's not too bothered by my hands. The only thing I would imagine is off limits is putting fingers near the entrance to her den, which makes sense.

+1 Kat! It will be even cooler if she wacks you... just kidding! :happy:

I don't dare try and pet Ivy yet.. she is lighting fast at doing a 360. Probably cuz she's small yet.

• Like 1

Yeah, don't feel like you have to make a vid. We certainly don't want you to get whacked. She knows her limits to where her courtesy ends and lands on your finger- I think you both have a mutual respect for each other for sure.

• Like 1

Wow. That is a video worth seeing when you pet her.

Ok... Incoming...

+1 Kat! It will be even cooler if she wacks you... just kidding! :happy:

I don't dare try and pet Ivy yet.. she is lighting fast at doing a 360. Probably cuz she's small yet.

Video uploading to YouTube now.

She wants more. She's out an all over the place right now. I think she kinda liked it.

• Like 2

Maybe it gave her those good chills up & down her back when you don't get touched like that very often and it feels new, wonderful, and inviting???? Like a cat that enjoys being pet and at one point for whatever reason, it's too much and whap!!!

• Like 2

Her interaction with me is very similar to her interaction with Barney the damsel fish. She's never struck him to my knowledge. I think she likes his company.

• Like 2