SaltCritters.com

Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete

Rehype

not if you got a bitty baby. Absolutely fish sometimes has silver dollar sized ones. Cute.

Wow! When you say little, what's this guys size?

Unfortunately they dont stay that size.

Probably 3" or so. Thats a female so they're a bit smaller.

• Like 1

So I just wanted to give an update on my progress with the Radion XR15pro. So far ive been very happy with it. Ive been really slow in ramping up these LED's as I didnt want to risk bleaching any coral. In the interim I came across this PAR calculator designed for Radion Fixtures. This calculator is very detailed and allows you to simulate PAR measurements for a number of conditions. I recommend anyone with a radion to check it out......especially if you have recently purchased one of these fixtures. I have to be honest I was a little skeptical about the calculators accuracy. So I decided to take out my Seneye Reef PAR meter and do some comparative testing. (If anyone isnt familiar with the Seneye I did a review on them a while back..In short for the price they are some of the best PAR meters available) I tested the Seneye at various depths and intensities and I was very surprised as the results were nearly identical in most cases. Its great to know that anyone that has one of these lights and may not have a PAR meter can use this calculator with confidence.

Is that link specific for the XR15?

NirvanaandTool

Eugene, cloudy eyes with spots in them makes me think Ich. That's how I found out my first cockatoo had ich.

Cloudy eyes can also be a clue of a bacteria infection but you wouldn't see the spots in them. Keep an eye on him and watch for spots on the body.

Anglers are a bad idea with any other fish. Venomous spines will not deter them from trying one of these fish even if its double the size. Their mouths are giant and their appetites are just as big. Species tank ONLY.

No its covers Gen 1,2,3,pro and Gen 3 pro

But there is a Gen 3 Pro XR15, and a Gen 3 Pro XR30 model, and they produce vastly different outputs. Maybe the model is only for one puck?

Eugene, cloudy eyes with spots in them makes me think Ich. That's how I found out my first cockatoo had ich.

Cloudy eyes can also be a clue of a bacteria infection but you wouldn't see the spots in them. Keep an eye on him and watch for spots on the body.

Anglers are a bad idea with any other fish. Venomous spines will not deter them from trying one of these fish even if its double the size. Their mouths are giant and their appetites are just as big. Species tank ONLY.

I agree with you i think its ich as well. Im setting up a hospital tank now.

Yea totally agree with you about the anglers as well ive seen videos of them eating lionfish. Ive kept one in the past but it was with an eel... so no problems there.

Maybe the model is only for one puck?

Im pretty sure thats the case.

What settings are you using for your radion? I haven't added many corals yet, so it's hard to know how to set the lights. I had them running on their default setting during the cycle, which ramps up to 100% during the day, but from what I've read, that's way too bright, and will fry everything.

What do you think?

What settings are you using for your radion? I haven't added many corals yet, so it's hard to know how to set the lights. I had them running on their default setting during the cycle, which ramps up to 100% during the day, but from what I've read, that's way too bright, and will fry everything.

What do you think?

Yes that is way too bright for a new system IMO. I finally got my blues to 100% intensity/brightness and its been over two months. I took it really slow because I didnt want to lose anything. I started at 25% and ramped up from there. I can send you a copy of my profile and you can modify it to your liking.Heres what it currently looks like

16081515121_973a6d5bb4_b.jpg

• Like 1

I finally got tired of dosing manually so I decided to invest in a automatic doser. I didnt want to spend alot of money so I picked up the Jebao DP-4. I was surprised it also included a acrylic stand for you to mount above your sump. Out of the box this thing was simple to calibrate and program. So far im happy with it. Dosing 5ml of vodka a day

15897848488_e919e5e347.jpg

• Like 3
I finally got tired of dosing manually so I decided to invest in a automatic doser. I didnt want to spend alot of money so I picked up the Jebao DP-4. I was surprised it also included a acrylic stand for you to mount above your sump. Out of the box this thing was simple to calibrate and program. So far im happy with it. Dosing 5ml of vodka a day.

I didn't know they made a dosng pump, the price is unbelievable. I might switch to this. What size is the acrylic stand? I couldn't find the dimension in the listing I saw, only the pump dimensions 9.2 x 2.6 x 5.1 inches

NirvanaandTool

I agree with you i think its ich as well. Im setting up a hospital tank now.

Yea totally agree with you about the anglers as well ive seen videos of them eating lionfish. Ive kept one in the past but it was with an eel... so no problems there.

What are you going to treat with?

If you dont mind a little bit of work, I recommend the Tank Transfer Method. Combined with Prazipro doses on Transfers 2 & 4, it can be a really fast and really effective treatment.

Otherwise, hypo & copper are more lengthy options as you have to wait out any possible cysts.

Never knew you had one. I had one but it was solo and only got to 3" when I lost it to a jaw issue. They are gluttons for sure.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you think about the Jebao. I've been looking into getting one for a while since it's so cheap, but I had heard it was a pain to program and that it didn't automatically turn on after a power failure.

I didn't know they made a dosng pump, the price is unbelievable. I might switch to this. What size is the acrylic stand? I couldn't find the dimension in the listing I saw, only the pump dimensions 9.2 x 2.6 x 5.1 inches

I know right! Most dosing pumps in this catergory are about $300 and up. Whats great is all the pumps are user replaceable and can be ordered as needed. Im also glad it has an internal battery for power outages.(Saves the clock and your dosing settings) The dimensions are 10" x 7".

• Like 3

What are you going to treat with?

If you dont mind a little bit of work, I recommend the Tank Transfer Method. Combined with Prazipro doses on Transfers 2 & 4, it can be a really fast and really effective treatment.

Otherwise, hypo & copper are more lengthy options as you have to wait out any possible cysts.

Never knew you had one. I had one but it was solo and only got to 3" when I lost it to a jaw issue. They are gluttons for sure.

Im using paraguard. I typically raise the temps to around 80 or so as so this accelerates the parasites life cycle and the cysts usually fall off within a day or two.

Yea heres a pic with the eel

4492022292_94cbbcff6a.jpg

I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you think about the Jebao. I've been looking into getting one for a while since it's so cheap, but I had heard it was a pain to program and that it didn't automatically turn on after a power failure.

Well i can tell you first hand that its super simple to program. Ill double check right now to see if it powers back on after an outage.

• Like 2

I know right! Most dosing pumps in this catergory are about $300 and up. Whats great is all the pumps are user replaceable and can be ordered as needed. Im also glad it has an internal battery for power outages.(Saves the clock and your dosing settings) The dimensions are 10" x 7".

A lot of reefing stuff is pure highway robbery. Like, to put together a dosing pump like that from scratch yourself probably wouldn't take more than like $60. Charging $400 for something like that is ludicrous

• Like 2

A lot of reefing stuff is pure highway robbery. Like, to put together a dosing pump like that from scratch yourself probably wouldn't take more than like $60. Charging $400 for something like that is ludicrous

I couldnt agree with you more.

• Like 2

looking good as always Hype!

Thanks boo!

I mean, that's why people decide to build their own lights and etc

If I was any good at it id probably do nearly everything DIY.

Hey Hype,

What is the upkeep on something like this? Do you have to do anything special with the specialty tank?

Hey bud nothing special really....same upkeep as any other glass/acrylic box. The only thing you may have to do different is clean both sides of the tank when theres algae.

• Like 1

So heres the QT, Only Equipment is heater and air pump.I scaped it because I hate the look of a bare tank :P I used water from my water change to make sure theres enough good bacteria. Also added some amquel just in case there was an ammonia spike and I fed him to his hearts content before putting him in (just in case he chooses not to eat for a few days). So now ill observe and wait.

15906373709_cbd663f81d.jpg

• Like 2

What kinda of ...angler (I think) is it you have my wishes he makes it they are such interesting fish

Thats an old picture of a wartskin angler I had years ago...

NirvanaandTool

So heres the QT, Only Equipment is heater and air pump.I scaped it because I hate the look of a bare tank :P I used water from my water change to make sure theres enough good bacteria. Also added some amquel just in case there was an ammonia spike and I fed him to his hearts content before putting him in (just in case he chooses not to eat for a few days). So now ill observe and wait.

15906373709_cbd663f81d.jpg

Your QT tanks are nicer than mine. I just go barebottom with PVC fittings for cover. Less chance of meds getting absorbed that way.

Hope he makes a quick recovery. Any other fish in the tank showing signs of ich or is he the only one?

You had a nice little Warty & GDM there buddy. I would have loved a Warty but ended up with a Painted (A. pictus). A full grown Painted angler tops out around 6" which is a chunky fish. Part of me would love to set up my old 40B again for a Giant Angler (A. commersoni) but one of those would eat me out of house and home.

• Like 2