Cultivated Reef

Ninja's 12g PicO S III ~ Tank Leaking Taking it Down ~

ninjamyst

Holy crap! Outstanding job my friend, your tank is gorgeous.

Thanks! so glad you are back in and getting another PicO.

awesome coral growth! What lighting fixture do you use?

It's a NanoBox Duo, highly recommend by many on this forum.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man,I really wanna know the secret. How do you get such amazing colors in pictures ? What settings is your lights ran at ?

Man,I really wanna know the secret. How do you get such amazing colors in pictures ? What settings is your lights ran at ?

blues 125, whites 55

it's all in finding the perfect white balance. took me a while to dial in a custom white balance.

New FTS. You can kind of make out the new sixline in the middle. It's not eating any of the zoa eating nudibranches though. I caught and killed another 3 nudis tonight. ARGH. Maybe I should starve it so it hunts them down. I caught it eating a small white serpent starfish though...but I like my starfish....bad sixline

https://flic.kr/p/opWpVs'>14710744824_d2841e7c20.jpg

New FTS. You can kind of make out the new sixline in the middle. It's not eating any of the zoa eating nudibranches though. I caught and killed another 3 nudis tonight. ARGH. Maybe I should starve it so it hunts them down. I caught it eating a small white serpent starfish though...but I like my starfish....bad sixline

14710744824_d2841e7c20.jpg

Clicking on the picture makes a world of difference :D. Looks spectacular!!!! I see why you were asking me about LPS in my thread :).

I can't have enough inspiration looking at your beautiful tank! What is that purple corals at the very top of the back rock work? I see you place so many corals nearly close to each other, don't they sting? or is there type of corals which can be placed in group? still learning :)

Clicking on the picture makes a world of difference :D. Looks spectacular!!!! I see why you were asking me about LPS in my thread :).

That is one gorgeous tank!

Thanks!!!

I can't have enough inspiration looking at your beautiful tank! What is that purple corals at the very top of the back rock work? I see you place so many corals nearly close to each other, don't they sting? or is there type of corals which can be placed in group? still learning :)

I cluster the same type of corals close to each other so it's ok. For example, most of the zoas are on the same rock. All the torch / hammer / frogspawn are on the sandbed. I am having trouble with maxi mini anemones that are moving around though. The purple coral is actually just some maroon red macroalgae that I need to trim soon =).

Reefergirl82

blues 125, whites 55

it's all in finding the perfect white balance. took me a while to dial in a custom white balance.

How is your growth rate at these numbers? I'm trying to find a good balance and haven't quite found it yet!

How is your growth rate at these numbers? I'm trying to find a good balance and haven't quite found it yet!

It's been great so far with zoas, but I think that has to do more with water and stability then the light. Zoas are not that picky with lights. My birdnest is growing and colors finally coming back after my mini crash. It depends how high you mounted your duo. Your tank is 15 x 15 x 15? or 15 x 15 x 9? Mine is 18 x 18 x 9. I use to have my whites much higher at almost 80 but I melted some rics at that intensity and some of my zoas got lighter in color.

Some thing fat that can't slip out.

Maybe a citron goby. or two..

Ive had fish jump out of the smallest areas so now I have every millimeter covered up. I hate losing fish because they jumped out.

came home to find a dried up firefish on the floor....HOW?!?!?! I have a lid on the tank. SIGH. No more firefish for me. I bet the new sixline scared it, but they were doing fine last night. SIGH.

ok...new fish suggestion?

Reefergirl82

It's been great so far with zoas, but I think that has to do more with water and stability then the light. Zoas are not that picky with lights. My birdnest is growing and colors finally coming back after my mini crash. It depends how high you mounted your duo. Your tank is 15 x 15 x 15? or 15 x 15 x 9? Mine is 18 x 18 x 9. I use to have my whites much higher at almost 80 but I melted some rics at that intensity and some of my zoas got lighter in color.

Ok thanks for the info! My tank is super stable but i'm just not satisfied with the colors.... I have the 15 x 15 x 15 PicO with whites at 90 and blues at 160 but everything seems washed out. Growth is amazing with my zoas, monti's and chalices but the color isn't the best. I think i may try something similar to yours if you are still getting good growth with the whites so low. You have an amazing tank:) Colors and scape are gorgeous.

Ok thanks for the info! My tank is super stable but i'm just not satisfied with the colors.... I have the 15 x 15 x 15 PicO with whites at 90 and blues at 160 but everything seems washed out. Growth is amazing with my zoas, monti's and chalices but the color isn't the best. I think i may try something similar to yours if you are still getting good growth with the whites so low. You have an amazing tank:) Colors and scape are gorgeous.

when you say washed out, do you mean only in pictures or the actual coral colors look washed out? If latter, I think your light may be too high causing the corals to bleach. I would definitely start to lower the lights slowly over a period of 2 weeks so you dont shock them with a sudden change in lighting. I checked out your build thread earlier. Would love to see more pictures of your tank =).

I noticed you said getting the white balance on pictures took a little experimenting. Did you do the white card in tank to get it set or something else?

I noticed you said getting the white balance on pictures took a little experimenting. Did you do the white card in tank to get it set or something else?

Interested in this as well, I'm constantly on the hunt to improve my photos!

I've tried everything pretty much but nothing gets it exact, some pictures make some corals look better/more accurate while others still aren't perfect. My pictures are fine, just my OCD forces me to constantly try to improve.

Reefergirl82

when you say washed out, do you mean only in pictures or the actual coral colors look washed out? If latter, I think your light may be too high causing the corals to bleach. I would definitely start to lower the lights slowly over a period of 2 weeks so you dont shock them with a sudden change in lighting. I checked out your build thread earlier. Would love to see more pictures of your tank =).

The actual colors of the zoas are washed out for quite a few of them. How much should I lower daily as not to shock them?

Thanks for the suggestion! I will keep you posted on how they fare. I would be ecstatic if they colored back up and looked like yours. I'll take updated photos this evening and post them.

Yes, kinda. I tried to use a white card but it didn't work out too well but I had a snail or hermit crab right under the LED and it had a white shell so I measured the white balance off of that =P.

Why not just correct the white balance after the fact with something like lightroom?

I do use Lightroom to make small adjustments but even with RAW, I feel that getting it right with the camera is better than adjusting a huge change in Lightroom.

The actual colors of the zoas are washed out for quite a few of them. How much should I lower daily as not to shock them?

Thanks for the suggestion! I will keep you posted on how they fare. I would be ecstatic if they colored back up and looked like yours. I'll take updated photos this evening and post them.

You can lower the intensity by 5 daily till you get to your desired values.

Archived