Pod Your Reef

Tamberav's 40 Breeder

Tamberav

Idk if snails are still a issue still as I'm not very active but for future reference try cutting some egg crate ect for the overflow. sucks this tank was taken down as it was one of my fave builds on here

I had it covered but they kept getting in. I think they were pushing the top up. Fkn nerites...

Thanks :) I really liked it too but I couldn't do everything I wanted with it and I couldn't find a large hex :( I looked for a longggg time. But they are getting a bigger tank and I'm going to fill it with macro and mandarins and maybe some pipefish :)

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had it covered but they kept getting in. I think they were pushing the top up. Fkn nerites...

Thanks :) I really liked it too but I couldn't do everything I wanted with it and I couldn't find a large hex :( I looked for a longggg time. But they are getting a bigger tank and I'm going to fill it with macro and mandarins and maybe some pipefish :)

And one giant orange seahorse :P:happy:B)

Here is some cell phone pics last night of her chilling on my hand before she went into the hex. Her belly was sunken but her body is in good shape.

ii4cyDiA1akt0.jpg

ibi9Rx8hcUBInp.jpg

And a top down of the clam and bottom right corner is Raphael (green banded goby).

clamtop_zps81a181da.jpg

I wish my ruby was docile like she is, mine hides most of the day and runs from everything. And I'm also sorry to hear about bones.

I wish my ruby was docile like she is, mine hides most of the day and runs from everything. And I'm also sorry to hear about bones.

I think it is just a personality thing. My ruby's are always out front, both of my green mandarins hide in the back, and my spotted will swim out when he sees you coming and perch on your hand looking for food. The spotted could survive in almost any tank, he is very food aggressive and I have not found a food he won't eat right off the bat.

Alright well my 40B is slowly being turned into the mandarin macro tank. The NPS are kind of all over the sand bed atm and they will probably be going in my 18x18 display "fuge". The bubble tip, clowns, and damsel will also go in the display fuge and maybe some other corals. It is a work in progress.

Future additions include some hard-to-keep fish such as a orangespot filefish (I have one on hold that has been living in captivity for 9 months eating pellets/frozen), pipefish pair, tiny gobies such as a gang of green banded's, either a hectors or court jester goby, and a pair of two spot gobies.

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/Tamberav/media/IMG_20140523_154607151_HDR_zpsy43ivutm.jpg.html'>IMG_20140523_154607151_HDR_zpsy43ivutm.j

• 3 weeks later...

Nice dragonet. It's endearing when they're that docile. My blenny and flame hawk will perch on my palm, and if I form an "O" with my fingers, my tang will swim through it.

Those spawning pictures are awesome. Love mandarins, always wanted one but cant find one eating frozen/pellets.

When nutramar ova comes back into season.. its like magical crack for mandarins.

Picked up a pair of two spot gobys and 1 court jester goby yesterday. The two spots were skinny which is pretty much expected, the stores don't keep them with mature sand beds or target feed them.

I saw all of them this morning but this evening I only saw 1 of the two spots. It is a 40 breeder with macro so those 1 inch fish could be anywhere. Hopefully still just acclimating.

One of the two spot gobys shows promise. He has been out in the center of the tank all day and when I fed he started eating ova. I can't promise any of these guys will survive but I will give them a good shot.

I removed the damsel to the sump. She is friendly but very fast active swimmer and was scaring the new guys with her activity. My plan was to remove her anyways. Just did it a little earlier than planned. I used a piece of acrylic divide the tank and trap her on side of the tank that doesn't have much rock and then netted her out. Easy!

These guys bottom fins have beautiful blue spots. It's too bad they are so picky.

IMG_20140614_240125970_HDR_zpspnrvzwuu.j

IMG_20140614_240138714_HDR_zpsbtbh7zzf.j

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I hope they work out for you! I love court jesters, but have always been to chicken to try them. Really looking good in there.

I hope they work out for you! I love court jesters, but have always been to chicken to try them. Really looking good in there.

Thanks! I won't hold my breath or anything though. I think one of the hard part with these guys is finding a specimen that isn't emaciated already.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so cute, I keep coming back to look at this little guy

Thanks Kat :wub: You would love my spotted, he is like a puppy looking for handouts. He has perched on my arm a few times begging for food.

When I caught my spotted to move him to my 40B, all I had to do was reach in and lift him out with my hand. He associates people and hands with food and swims right up.

Wooooooooow. Makes me want a 40B :D

Thought of this tank yesterday, actually. I went to a LFS and they had a mandarin male that was about 4 inches long, easily 1 inch wide head. He was HUGE. I've never seen a mandarin that large before.

Wooooooooow. Makes me want a 40B :D

Thought of this tank yesterday, actually. I went to a LFS and they had a mandarin male that was about 4 inches long, easily 1 inch wide head. He was HUGE. I've never seen a mandarin that large before.

:) I picked up some stuff a Bulk Reef Supply awhile back and they had a tank in there office/pickup area. It was a large tank but they had a bunch of "nano" fish in it. However, all of their nano fish were salmon sized. HUGE mandarin, HUGE occy clowns, ect. They would not have fit comfortably in nano tanks. :blink:

Amber, do you rent out your Tuxedo. Urchin that is :lol:

lol, I should. He is such a little hungry beast. My algae fix-all.

How is the bryopsis fight going? Is that the tank you're putting the majano's in?

Archived